PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone use a disk cloning program for a fresh Windows install like Norton Ghost?

undiejuice
23-04-2018, 10:21 AM
Hi,

I've been a fan of the Norton Ghost product for years using this program to reinstall a fresh image of Windows. Over the years, I've found Norton Ghost going downhill from there.

I'm curious if anyone uses a program similar for a clean image for Windows 7,10 operating systems? A the moment, I'm trialing out the AOMEI Backupper program, and although it states about fresh installation of Windows, it appears that the only way this can be achieved, is if you have an existing operating system first.

With the Norton Ghost program however, I could install a clean windows image within a low level environment (where no operating system exists) and do it that way.

Anyone know of a program that does something like this?

Cheers

CliveM
23-04-2018, 10:30 AM
Active@ will do that.Of course you have to have the clean image first.

23-04-2018, 10:39 AM
Seagate & WD also have good free cloning software

Win10 & Win7 have a VERY good imaging tool built in anyway , in the backup wizard theres the option to make a disk image

But, as above , its not a clean image unless it was made after a clean install. And with all the build updates in Win10, the image you make will rapidly become
obselete .

With SSD's & Win10 , its really just as easy & fast to do a wipe & re-install . So not a lot of point making CLEAN disk images in Win10 .

dugimodo
23-04-2018, 10:47 AM
I use Aomei Partition magic from the same people as backupper and with a lot of the same features. Not sure about backupper but with partition magic you can create a bootable media and use that to create/restore and image. I'd be very surprised if backupper doesn't have this feature. So I went and checked and https://www.backup-utility.com/features/create-bootable-disc.html yes backupper does have the option to run from bootable media.

Brucem
23-04-2018, 11:36 AM
I use Acronis for backups, it claims to clone the drives, although I have never had to use it to restore anything other than the odd file. I also use Easus for partitions. I used to have Norton Ghost, but it was discontinued several years ago.

gary67
23-04-2018, 02:21 PM
Acronis often fails

bevy121
23-04-2018, 02:39 PM
Acronis often fails

exactly! - I used Acronis a lot a number of years back, but found it failed many times when you go to use an image.

Gave up on that and have used Active@ ever since - never had a problem with an image even once so far - and have done quite a few.

I usualy tick the "verify image" box to be sure, but as I said, haven't had to redo any at all to date.

paulw
24-04-2018, 06:22 PM
exactly! - I used Acronis a lot a number of years back, but found it failed many times when you go to use an image.

Gave up on that and have used Active@ ever since - never had a problem with an image even once so far - and have done quite a few.

I usualy tick the "verify image" box to be sure, but as I said, haven't had to redo any at all to date.

Looks interesting. Have you needed to restore an image or partition??

gary67
24-04-2018, 07:17 PM
I have had reason to put an image back from Active@ and I know Wainui uses it too for his business

mzee
24-04-2018, 08:23 PM
I use Active@ all the time for backups which I do every time I have a Windows computer to sort out, just in case things go pear shaped, then do a final one when the job is completed.

Active@ will not image Linux, but will clone it which is slow and bulky. The answer is to use Clonezilla which handles Windows, Linux, & Chrome OS, or a mixture of all. It is ideal when multi booting. At first it looks complicated as there are so many settings. I just log in as a beginner and most of the default settings do the job, Clonezilla will refuse to work if any OS is hibernated, or the drive is faulty, so turn off Fast Boot in W10, and scan the drive for faults. Very reliable, boots from USB, and is free.

bevy121
24-04-2018, 11:38 PM
Looks interesting. Have you needed to restore an image or partition??

yea - that's what I meant... I have restored many images to disc - some were required ones, some I did just for testig

none have failed so far (touch wood!!!)

Kiwixboxer
25-04-2018, 08:21 AM
I use Macrium it works perfectly boots from the disk (or you and image it to a USB boot drive stick (if you make one)