PDA

View Full Version : Is 200mbps fast for a switch to watch Netflix?

undiejuice
21-04-2018, 05:46 PM
Hi.

I went and brought a desktop switch because lately, I've been having trouble watching Netflix on my Smart TV. My smart TV being Wireless / Ethernet, has not been so kind in allowing me to do this, with continuous buffering at load up screens and during screen movie time (if I am lucky enough) to watch ANY at any time of the day or night.

I've concluded that my wired connection from my Ethernet connected directly from my broadband (fibre) , was the better way to do this, and I can watch Netflix without problems.

The point I am trying to make is this, I've bought a brand new switch without realizing later once I got home, that this device apparently can carry / upload/ (or something like that) up to 200Mbps of data. I haven't yet opened up the package and want to know if anyone out here knows that this amount of data is either too small, or enough for me to watch Netflix and upload, download data from my PC?

Since I am on Spark Fibre, I just don't know if I've made the right choice and whether to get a switch with a higher MBps in say GHZ or it doesn't make any difference?

The item is a: 5 port TP-Link Desktop Switch TL-SF1005D.
* I don't have a Cat6 network; only Cat5e
* I am in a Urban setting; City in residential house; not an apartment / flat

Cheers

dugimodo
21-04-2018, 05:56 PM
It's fast enough for netflix and steaming in general but it will limit you to 100MBps which is as fast as most internet connections.

I think it's a mistake though, surprised they still sell 100M switches. Personally I'd recommend a 1000M 5 port switch if you plan do do any more than stream on it.
They are cheap enough to make it worth it anyway https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/SWHTPL1007/TP-Link-TL-SG1005D-5-Port-Gigabit-Desktop-Switch-A

undiejuice
21-04-2018, 06:08 PM
It's fast enough for netflix and steaming in general but it will limit you to 100MBps which is as fast as most internet connections.

I think it's a mistake though, surprised they still sell 100M switches. Personally I'd recommend a 1000M 5 port switch if you plan do do any more than stream on it.
They are cheap enough to make it worth it anyway https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/SWHTPL1007/TP-Link-TL-SG1005D-5-Port-Gigabit-Desktop-Switch-A

Hey dugimodo,

Thanks for your reply. Yeah, I might consider going for the one you have shown. Funny enough, I went to Pbtech today, for my unit. I hope they will accept it if I return the unit and pay the difference for another one?

CliveM
21-04-2018, 06:14 PM
If you still have your receipt and the box has not been opened you should be ok.

Nomad
21-04-2018, 06:15 PM
Even 100Mbps is more than enough however the 1Gbps are not much more and provide more future proof.

With a network cable, we have 100Mbps fiber optic internet and I downloaded a game demo recently 40GB in 1hr. With our 100Mbps internet connection we had the Netflix trial, no problems at all. 1Gbps will just allow you to copy files from one computer to the other preferably with a network cable quicker.

Edit - yep. 100Mbps switches are still available.

undiejuice
21-04-2018, 06:27 PM
If you still have your receipt and the box has not been opened you should be ok.

Okay, then that's promising.

undiejuice
21-04-2018, 06:28 PM
Even 100Mbps is more than enough however the 1Gbps are not much more and provide more future proof.

With a network cable, we have 100Mbps fiber optic internet and I downloaded a game demo recently 40GB in 1hr. With our 100Mbps internet connection we had the Netflix trial, no problems at all. 1Gbps will just allow you to copy files from one computer to the other preferably with a network cable quicker.

Edit - yep. 100Mbps switches are still available.

Interesting. Food for thought. Thanks.

dugimodo
21-04-2018, 06:37 PM
If all you want it for is internet access and streaming it'll be fine, but for just a bit more you get 10 times the speed so why not?

I'm Biased though as I do copy files over my network and have a lot of devices hooked up so I care about the max speed, 100M really bottlenecks file transfers.

Nomad
21-04-2018, 06:46 PM
Exactly for $5 or $10 more. Copying some photographs or video from one device to the other, you'll appreciate it. My nearly 10yr old computer did 1,000Mbps.

undiejuice
23-04-2018, 10:09 AM
Hey, just an after thought, if I get another switch (switch with a higher Mbps) as mentioned above, this would also mean I would have to upgrade other switches on my network that don't have a higher Mbps, as well ?

I have 2 switches (old ones) and a new one (which I bought on Saturday), roughly the same Mbps

CliveM
23-04-2018, 10:35 AM
It all depends on how your network is set up. You would not want to have your higher speed switch downstream from a lowerspeed one but the other way around is ok. it all depends on what you wish to achieve.

23-04-2018, 10:49 AM
Unless you have FAST fibre internet , or an SSD HD's , 100Mb is usually good enough for many things

1000M switches cant..transfer..data..faster..than..the..hard drives..speed. :)
And some recent laptops only have 100M network adaptors . Hard to believe manufactures would stoop that low

Nomad
23-04-2018, 10:57 AM
Hey, just an after thought, if I get another switch (switch with a higher Mbps) as mentioned above, this would also mean I would have to upgrade other switches on my network that don't have a higher Mbps, as well ?

I have 2 switches (old ones) and a new one (which I bought on Saturday), roughly the same Mbps

Can you give us a layout of them?

I had a friend who did this. 100Mbps fiber internet then a network cable thru the walls (new house) to his lounge. 2 desktop computers with SSDs. He used a 100Mbps switch to split from the wall to the 2 computers but he was fine because he seldom (never) did copied files.

100Mbps is really fine depends what you use it for. If you copy large files from one computer to the next ... perhaps. Maybe in the future fiber optic internet 100Mbps becomes the minimum 200Mbps then yeah ... the 100Mbps switch would be limiting it. But again it depends what you use it for. Even if you have a 200Mbps internet but you only surf the web and watch videos should be fine. Downloading would be slower.

Oh ... but normal hard drives can go faster than 100Mbps ;-)

dugimodo
23-04-2018, 11:10 AM
100Mb is good enough sure, 1000Mb is just better and the price difference makes 100Mb redundant IMHO. Why buy outdated hardware if you don't have to.

Also a modern 2TB HDD can sustain file transfers in the 100-200MB/s (as opposed to SSDs which tend to be 500+) range which is 800-1600Mb/s so a 100Mb switch doesn't even come close. The network speed is usually the limiting factor for file transfers even with gigabit speeds. I have a 8TB NAS that I back up to a networked PC fairly regularly, over a 100Mb connection that's just not practical. Even if you were to say it is more like 60-100MB/s (which is was once upon a time) that's still much faster than a 100Mb switch.

In case you missed it windows reports file copy speeds in Bytes per second and network switches and internet speeds are rated in bits per second, so for anyone who didn't know (I'm sure most regulars here are well aware) that's an 8 x difference (8 bits in a Byte). Not trying to talk down to anyone here, just pointing out a common error when comparing disk speeds to network speeds. There are also network overheads that use some of the bandwidth meaning you can never actually hit the max speed of 100/1000 Mb/s so a 100Mb switch will actually very slightly restrict a 100Mb internet connection.

So for streaming from an internet connection of 100Mb or less - sure it's perfectly fine. For anything else it's a bottleneck you could easily avoid for $10 more. Depends on your personal use.

Koenig Tiger
23-04-2018, 12:06 PM
was watching Netflix fine on spark vdsl @37.4mbs without any issues and now have 200MBS Spark Fibre also fine.....100mbs would be heaps.....