PDA

View Full Version : Error report on Mint Linux

mzee
18-04-2018, 03:57 PM
I have two laptops duel booting Windows 10 Pro & Mint 18.3
When I use Gparted on them while running Mint I get the following message:-

"The driver descriptor says the physical block size is 2048 bytes, but Linux says it is 512 bytes." There is an Ignore button which I use. Both drives work 100%, one is a SATA, and the other eMMc.

If I boot them with FatDog64 Linux, Gparted shows no errors.

Any ideas why Mint is doing this?

Kame
19-04-2018, 12:01 AM
It is only a warning.

Hard drives usually have a physical block size of 512 bytes and newer ones using the advance format 4096 bytes. 2048 bytes suggests to me that it was a CD ROM ISO that was written to the drive, possibly using dd which you can specify the block size.

I am not sure if gparted tells you which device as it is normally reported for the device it is currently scanning. More than likely its a USB stick but it could also be your drives if you restore them from ISO.

mzee
19-04-2018, 04:21 PM
All my installations are from ISO's on USB stick, usually DD because I find that they boot quicker. Maybe I should choose ISO instead? They work fine, so I just ignore it.

Kame
19-04-2018, 08:51 PM
Installation is different but how you write your ISO to USB could be the issue that gparted is seeing. When you start gparted and it shows the warning, look at the lower left corner of the statusbar and it should show which drive its scanning.

Make a note of it and check what drive it actually is, if its your USB stick, then the fix really is to rewrite your USB with the ISO at the correct block size.

dd by default uses 512 bytes, ISO block sizes are at 2048 bytes. So your dd command should look like:

dd if=your.iso of=/dev/your/usb bs=2048