PDA

View Full Version : Black loading screen in Windows 10

undiejuice
18-04-2018, 10:07 AM
Hi.

I am curious to know if anyone else has occasionally experienced the odd or several blank black loading screens at computer start up in Windows 10?

What I'm trying to say, is from a "cold boot-up" or even "sleep mode", the computer fails at times to show the bios info, and windows flag before I can log myself into windows 10.

If I find that when I start my computer up and I don't see the windows flag, or bios info, I have to resort by pressing the restart or shutdown button (on my computer hard drive). I may end up doing this several times; say 10 -12 times, until I finally see a windows flag appear, (which then tells me it will be doing an automatic repair). Once I've gone through this stage, I can FINALLY start reusing Windows 10 again.

I don't think this is good at all for the hard disk, and this issue has been a reoccurring event for me since early this year repeatedly! I don't know if this happens after a windows 10 update? (I don't know how I can tell if it is)

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?
Cheers.

BTW, this is what I've done already.....

*Updating my video graphic drivers
*Tried using alternative HDMI cables (as my PC is connected to my HDTV) as a monitor.

wainuitech
18-04-2018, 11:08 AM
Its often caused by drivers updating, or simply the drivers fail to load. If its updates, the activity light will be flashing.

Sometimes its also Fast Start causing the problem. Fast Start OFTEN causes more problems than it fixes, what happens is it holds the settings when the PC shuts down or goes to sleep, but the graphics don't let go, so cant start.

Try disabling fast Start, see if it solves the problem. Instructions: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4189-turn-off-fast-startup-windows-10-a.html

If its something else, its easy enough to tell, when the Computer starts (or tries) give it a few seconds to get to windows, then press in and hold the power button. This will shut it down, do this again, on the third it should jump into recovery mode. if it does its drivers. You can test by going into safe mode via trouble shooting, or in windows hold down the Shift key and reboot, it will again go into recovery mode.

Some other options to work through as well. https://www.windowscentral.com/how-fix-black-screen-problems-windows-10

BTW-- If the graphic drivers are damaged, they have to be COMPLETELY removed and new installed. Normal uninstalling is NOT enough, it leaves pieces behind.

https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

undiejuice
18-04-2018, 05:56 PM
Hey, thanks Wainuitech.

I've tried your first suggestion, so far and and I'm hoping this is the only one causing this problem.

Thanks again.

Koenig Tiger
19-04-2018, 02:30 PM
had blank screen every time I restarted after updating from the 1709 update and eventually learnt pulling the HDMI cable out of the back of the monitor and re-inserting immediately restored video okay....already had least video drivers install so werd as...

chiefnz
19-04-2018, 10:12 PM
I have the same occurrence on my work laptop. Though I suspect this is because the laptop has 2 graphics cards, an integrated Intel HD unit plus a discrete AMD Radeon. This "issue" happens intermittently when the laptop is docked in the docking station which is connected to 2 x 24 inch monitors (1 x DVI and 1 x VGA). Another strange thing is that if I boot the laptop with the lid closed i only get output on one of the external monitors. What I have to do is boot the laptop up with the lid open and then wait for the login screen to appear, then when I close the lid and login both external monitors are active in a "extended" desktop mode. If I open the lid after this, the laptop display goes on as well but then the external monitors are in "duplicate" mode... so I then have 3 screens showing the same thing... which kind of defeats the purpose of external monitors I guess. I suspect this has something to with drivers and also maybe the fact that the Intel graphics operates through 1 connection and the AMD through the other. From what I can tell the AMD becomes the "Preferred" graphics adapter because if I open Task Manager it lists the AMD as GP0 but there are no entries for the Intel... I haven't quite figured it out yet but it is functional for my needs at present.

undiejuice
21-04-2018, 05:13 PM
Interesting!. I thought I was the only one experiencing this. I believe for me for , it was since the 1709 update, where I've encountered problems since, while my laptop on the otherhand had problems with the hard drive (excessive 100% usage) for windows 10, but seems fine for now (as I've recently updated it to the 1709 version.