PDA

View Full Version : Speech Recognition. How do I choose a Program

Poppa John
18-04-2018, 10:00 AM
Hi All
I thought I wold give this atry agail.
Is the W10 version the same, better or worse than previos Windows Versions. s thers a good Free version that works reasonably well. Thanks. PJ

wainuitech
18-04-2018, 10:49 AM
The inbuilt -- There are actually two. The one that's been there a while now and Cortana. They are tied together.

Also depends on what you want to do, Cortana can do a lot of things really good, others not so well.

What I mean by "what do you want to do" Do you want to open web sites, find certain files, navigate around your PC, play music, dictate etc ?

The inbuilt will do many things some other programs cant, keeping in mind, like ANY Speech Recognition program, it needs to learn how you talk, any accent, unfortunately its not quite upto the science fiction on TV where anyone can speak and a computer answers ( but its getting close) ;)

Just a hint -- Be prepared to laugh -- try saying any Maori or Some Aussie names ( like Whakatane) -- Cortana has a :waughh: LOL If its simple things, like asking Cortana, "Whats the weather today in Auckland" you'll get a detailed reply.

dugimodo
18-04-2018, 11:48 AM
I never found anything Cortana could do that wasn't easier without it, maybe that's just me.
I occasionally talk to my phone, but it doesn't have a keyboard.

Poppa John
18-04-2018, 03:59 PM
I Yhought Cortana wasnt available in NZ. I would like to dictate lettrs to the UK. At the moment I scribble them on paper. The quality of my printing is crap & doesnt look
good when I "Scan to Email". PJ

dugimodo
18-04-2018, 04:52 PM
It is and it isn't, all you have to do is set the language & region to UK or US english and it appears. Seems to handle our accent reasonably well too.
So not officially available here but you can make it work.

dugimodo
18-04-2018, 04:56 PM
Try searching for windows speech recognition from the start menu and have a play, been built into windows for years before Cortana existed. You have to train it by saying some phrases but it works ok. Wainui mentioned it earlier.
I tried it out once and it seemed to work ok, but then I had no use for it and never used it again.

Poppa John
19-04-2018, 11:33 AM
Hi again from frustrated PJ
I just don't get it. I Find no reference to Cortana in Start. One link I looked at said it was already installed & all you do is activate it. How do that if I cant find it. So what now, is it something I have to d/l first. PJ.

19-04-2018, 11:59 AM
https://www.pcworld.com/article/2984791/windows/how-to-enable-windows-10s-hey-cortana-voice-commands.html

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/cortana

It should be where the search thing is on the toolbar, bottom LHS ??
you may need to enable it , activate it , as per link above

This assumes your Win10 isnt hopelessly out of date (ie : old build version)
:)

wainuitech
19-04-2018, 12:00 PM
You need to set it up first, by default unless it was setup when installing windows it will be turned off.

Go into the Settings, Type in Cortana Select the option as pictured ( or in the search type Cortana) and you'll get the same options. From the language, select and install one.

Once installed, To start using Cortana click the little microphone icon on the far right of the Cortana panel in the taskbar and from proceed through the wizard to set up Cortana.

Poppa John
19-04-2018, 04:01 PM
Wai. You wouldn't believe it. The Lady who often sits next t me in the Home lounge, has bought the same Everis computer as me. In the process of trying to cet it up, uo popped the Cortana message " Do you want to instal Cortana". This has never happened to me on Mine. Dos that mean thathet was never installed in the first place.

I cannot get to the pict on the screen. I am still stuck . Sorry to be such a a nuisance. PJ

Why do I get myself involved with other peoples problems PJ the soft hearted. PJ

dugimodo
19-04-2018, 04:57 PM
Pretty sure the first thing you have to do is change the region and language to UK. The Lady in questions machine is probably already set to the UK as I've seen that myself using an imported PC.

I'm possibly out of date with my info though as I haven't tried Cortana recently and am not near a windows 10 PC to check anything.

Driftwood
19-04-2018, 05:07 PM
Wai. You wouldn't believe it. The Lady who often sits next t me in the Home lounge, has bought the same Everis computer as me. In the process of trying to cet it up, uo popped the Cortana message " Do you want to instal Cortana". This has never happened to me on Mine. Dos that mean thathet was never installed in the first place.

I cannot get to the pict on the screen. I am still stuck . Sorry to be such a a nuisance. PJ

Why do I get myself involved with other peoples problems PJ the soft hearted. PJ

Swap with hers when she's not looking.

wainuitech
19-04-2018, 05:30 PM
Cant answer fully at the moment, but newer versions of Windows Cortana activates / setsup on first run.

Got a hell of a fright a while back, fired up a customers Brand New Laptop, and damn Cortana starts talking during the first boot, Wasn't expecting a voice to start talking at this stage, I replied as a knee jerk reaction -- Oh, p1ss off. The reply from Cortana -- Sorry I do not under stand, please say again :D :lol:

wainuitech
19-04-2018, 06:38 PM
OK try this -- In the search, type in Cortana. Select "Cortana and Search Settings"

In the window that opens, on the left , select "Language" - Select one you want, Suggest you try either English UK or English Australia.

Once you select one, The search will change to Cortanas interface. Click on the option "Cortana can do much more", then sign in to your MS account and the setup will continue.

Poppa John
19-04-2018, 08:00 PM
Wai.....I have to leave this project until I have solved the password problem on another Everis computer. Would you look at my :Urgent " post plase????? PJ