PDA

View Full Version : Downloading Windows 10 for USB install - slow

Nomad
13-04-2018, 01:13 PM
Hi, I am using the Media Creation Tool then I select USB stick, it takes 2hr to show 2%. What's going on is the server slow? I am using a network cable with 100/20 internet plan with 2Degrees.

Thanks.

Edit - seems working now. I re-downloaded the creation media tool. Maybe it was a server issue. It took me 10mins just to download that tool.

Speedy Gonzales
13-04-2018, 01:20 PM
Get the ISO, then use rufus.

wratterus
13-04-2018, 01:28 PM
MCT normally works fine, I use it for this purpose quite regularly and it maxes out our 50Mbps VDSL connection.

Speedy- can rufus create a UEFI installer?

Speedy Gonzales
13-04-2018, 01:31 PM
Sure can . MBR and UEFI. Just select GPT under partition . After you plug in a flash drive. Add the ISO then click on start

Nomad
13-04-2018, 01:39 PM
You mean the ISO option with the media creation tool? :) I did that in the past but my ISO program probably stuffed, up cos the DVD didn't boot.

Speedy Gonzales
13-04-2018, 01:47 PM
Nope rufus http://rufus.akeo.ie/

You can get the ISO with the mediacreation tool, then use rufus to extract whats in the ISO to make a bootable flash drive

wratterus
13-04-2018, 01:47 PM
Good to know, thanks. I haven't used it much for a while.

Speedy Gonzales
13-04-2018, 01:49 PM
Yup a good little program. Used it this morning to reinstall the Fall creator's ISO on an ASUS H97M-E. Which has a UEFI BIOS.

And this desktop, which doesnt have a UEFI BIOS

Nomad
13-04-2018, 05:38 PM
A related question. I have a laptop that had Windows 7 and I took the free upgrade to Windows that was available at the time. I have backups but let's say that was not usable how does one get back their Windows 10 for free?

dugimodo
13-04-2018, 07:02 PM
Reinstall it, skip the key, it'll activate when online. That simple.

Nomad
13-04-2018, 07:26 PM
Reinstall it, skip the key, it'll activate when online. That simple.

What's the identifier? Say the hard drive was replaced. Install it. And ...

Edit - oh yes. I gotcha. Windows 7 would have the serial key ...

dugimodo
13-04-2018, 08:08 PM
No need for a key because it ties to the hardware, change the motherboard and you might have an issue but that's not the same computer at that point. You can change just about anything else and should be fine. Hard drives don't count at all.
Windows has generated a unique identifier based on the hardware you install it on going back many versions and then that's stored online to check against future activations.

That's how it knows a key is already used on another machine if someone else tries to use it, it compares it to the stored hardware identifier.
With 10 however they decided to use that identifier to reactivate windows automatically if the same hardware is detected again on a new install without making you enter the key again. It's really quite convenient.