PDA

View Full Version : How much watts for my PSU?

Nomad
10-04-2018, 08:09 PM
I had my system for 9.5yrs now (Intel Q8200) looking at a system for Adobe Lightroom. 500 or 600W enough for a Ryzen 1600X or a Intel 8700K?

I have read and watch reviews on these two. Games are undeniably better on the Intel. For multi threaded applications it might be Ryzen? The Ryzen is quite a bit cheaper and both would be a substantial upgrade for me. If I was looking at the 1700X Ryzen then the Intel is virtually the same price.

Maybe not now, but down the road I might add a 1050 video card.

Like to know your views.

dugimodo
10-04-2018, 10:21 PM
Depends on the rest of the system, especially the graphics card. 500-600W is enough for pretty much any combination of modern CPU & High end GPU. Without a graphics card you only need something like 300W or less.
The easiest way is to use a calculator https://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator and if you don't trust it add another 50W but generally it's close enough.

It's important to get a good PSPU as well, don't just buy the cheapest. A quality 500W PSU is a much better choice than a cheapo 750W piece of junk. If one component has the potential to kill everything else it's the PSU.

Nomad
11-04-2018, 08:36 AM
Am looking at a corsair psu. I will just have 2 platter hdd and 1 ssd. No optical drives and no other cards.

Are you guys using new computer cases? I could just use my current case no tidy cable management.... Unused psu cables pushed inside the unused 5.25 drive bays.

dugimodo
11-04-2018, 10:03 AM
Corsair are ok generally but it pays to look for a review of the particular model before deciding. 500W is plenty for what you've mentioned so far including a future 1050 or whatever.
Sometimes I reuse old cases, sometimes I buy a new one. Depends how much I like the old one.

If you get a Ryzen 1600X you will need a graphics card as it doesn't include one like the 8700K or the Ryzen APUs, also the intel graphics will not play games very well at all.
Also neither CPU comes with a cooler so you will need one of those as well.

If you want advice on what particular parts to buy let us know the budget and what you intend to use it for and we can probably offer some insight. For example to game on a really tight budget the Ryzen 2200G & 2400G are a great option. https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/CPUAMD02400G/AMD-Ryzen-5-2400G-Socket-AM4-4-Core8-Threads-36-GH only 4 cores but graphics good enough to do some gaming on.

Nomad
11-04-2018, 10:22 AM
If you get a Ryzen 1600X you will need a graphics card as it doesn't include one like the 8700K or the Ryzen APUs, also the intel graphics will not play games very well at all.
Also neither CPU comes with a cooler so you will need one of those as well.

Don't really game apart from the latest version of Sid Mier's Civilization. It is mainly to be used for Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop. I didn't know about the graphics go thru the CPU. Thought they were onboard motherboard graphics. Shows you how out of date I am.

I was initially looking at the 1600 with the included HSF or the 1600X. I had a look at the 1800X (or even the 1700X) but it is virtually the same price as the Intel 8700K. I was looking at going at first without the GPU and if need be get it later.

Could I still use my current HSF - I have a smaller version of the Cooler Master - a silver brick thing with copper pipes.

The 8700K cost $250 more than a Ryzen setup and I thought since I had this system for 9.5yrs, any upgrade is going to be substantial anyway so the 8700K for me might just be incremental.

I thought of the following:
CPU as above.
ASUS Prime motherboard with 4 RAM slots for future proofing - I don't intend to overclock.
2x8GB DDR4 I was looking at the Coraair Value RAM, if I am not overclocking is there much point getting something faster up to a 3200Mhz?

Optional:
Phantek (?) P300 case and a Corsairs PSU modular 500 or 600W. Or maybe there is something cheaper.

Reusing my old stuff:
Samsung EVO 850 SATA3.
2x Seagate Barracuda 500GB but in the future would be upgraded to 2x 2 (or 3TB).

It is quite appealing to swap sides to AMD. Been with Intel for some years now, the last AMD was a K6 200Mhz in the late 1990s. I just thought the 1600 or 1600X is $250 lesser than the 8700K that $250 itself is almost another CPU for the future.

Budget. Well people can just sacrifice elsewhere. Preferably, I like to keep it low as possible and since this is a 9.5yr old, anything is going to be substantial to me. If I were to put a figure maybe under $1,000 not including the $250 video card and the optional PSU / Case.

dugimodo
11-04-2018, 11:51 AM
Best budget intel choice is the i5 8400 - 6 physical cores and enough single threaded performance to match the previous i7 7700K in games. If you want an i7 the 8700 non K is worth a look too, saves some money, comes with a cooler, and is still very quick.
As to your existing cooler, depends if you have any mounting hardware for socket 1155, 1151, etc. The Q8200 I'm sure has different hole spacing on the motherboard but the last 3 generations of core CPUs at least have kept that the same.

I don't know much about lightroom or photoshop so I can't advise you there, I come at this mostly as a gamer who builds his own PCs. I'm planning a new build around August myself and keep changing my mind between CPUs, the truth is any of the i5 or i7 8xxx CPUs or Ryzen 5/ Ryzen 7s is probably good enough for quite a few years. If I was going Ryzen I'd pick either a 1600 or 1700 for the included cooler or a 2400G for graphics nearly as good as a 1050. I'm leaning towards one of the new budget intel chipset boards that have just been released and a stock 8700 to save a bit of money while not dropping performance enough to worry about. (B360, H310, and H370 chipsets just released with no overclocking support)

Nomad
11-04-2018, 12:51 PM
Thanks. I am leaning towards a 2400G. Nice for the occasional game. The cost difference is massive between a 2400G or a 1800X / 8700(k) $300+ and then add in a $300 video card.

I have been using this 9.5yr old system, so everything is going to be an update.

From what I read - i8700k is quicker than a 1800X Ryzen for Lightroom since it's not much into multi thread. Photoshop / Premiere Pro etc is better for the 1800X, 1600X etc .. but I do most of mine under Lightroom. But again there is that huge price difference.

piroska
11-04-2018, 01:13 PM
600w to 750w Antec.
Depending on GPU.

Nomad
11-04-2018, 01:18 PM
600w to 750w Antec.
Depending on GPU.

Antec now ... Corsair or Enermax had a reputation before right?
Just looked inside my current system - Antec 550W True Power Trio. Might just use this with the onboard for the time being.
Compared to these budget parts a new case and a new PSU does add up.

piroska
11-04-2018, 08:04 PM
Antec now ... Corsair or Enermax had a reputation before right?

Yes.
Dunno about Enermax, haven't used any for ages and ages.
Corsair, I started to get too many failures.

The 550 you have should be fine.

12-04-2018, 10:40 AM
You cant just go on Brand name anymore .
They are all just made by another company & then re-badged (with a few exceptions)
Generally, the more expensive models from a particular brand should be better designed & built than the budget models from that brand . But who knows, you wont know unless
that exact model has been on the market for 3+ years to see its actual reliability in the real world .

Ive had alot of success with budget Enermax : reliable . But again, thats only the one particular model we allways use/sell.