PDA

View Full Version : A trick which could save you a lot of trouble with Windows refusing to boot.

mzee
07-04-2018, 08:14 PM
Yesterday I was given a Dell Laptop with Windows 10 Pro installed.
The problem was that no matter what was done it would not boot Windows. The diagnosis was a missing loader file, but everything seemed to be there.
Normally I would do a clean install, but in this case there was a lot of software with no backups, so I couldn't reinstall the software, so I did the following:-

* Made another partition and installed the same version of W10 in it.
* Installed EasyBSD and added the W10 on Ptn1 SDA1 shown as D in EasyBSD as default to the loader.
* Rebooted the computer and opened the original W10 in C. All working well.

I left the second installation in place as there is plenty of free space on the drive, and have set the loader to boot the default bypassing the menu.
I have also hidden the partition which showed as D.

I also made a backup with active@

dugimodo
08-04-2018, 08:35 AM
Not a bad Idea, I assume you meant EasyBCD ?
You can boot off install media and repair the boot loader though which sounds like it would have worked just based on your description.
Having a second bootable installation could be useful, but if the boot loader got corrupted again I think you could lose both copies.

mzee
08-04-2018, 08:35 PM
Not a bad Idea, I assume you meant EasyBCD ?
You can boot off install media and repair the boot loader though which sounds like it would have worked just based on your description.
Having a second bootable installation could be useful, but if the boot loader got corrupted again I think you could lose both copies.

Yes it was EasyBCD. I tried using the Install repair but no luck, I also tried a boot repair program which usually works, but it advised a re-install. If it happened again I would use the backup which I have made :)

wainuitech
08-04-2018, 09:08 PM
Good on you for using that method, BUT ( theres always a but) :) The potential for failure is quite high. Whats going to happen when Windows upgrades - ?? You may find it fails.

Dells, (and all the other Manufactures) ALWAYS install various partitions ( normal installs dont have them) and they often WILL Fail. The EFI bootloader is different.

The method as instructed By Dell often Does work, just a simple few commands which the auto programs don't use to much success.

how-to-repair-the-efi-bootloader-on-a-gpt-hdd-for-windows-7-8-81-and-10-on-your-dell-pc (http://www.dell.com/support/article/nz/en/nzdhs1/sln300987/how-to-repair-the-efi-bootloader-on-a-gpt-hdd-for-windows-7-8-81-and-10-on-your-dell-pc?lang=en)

The fact that EasyBCD got it booting again , proves there was only some minor problem.