PDA

View Full Version : My new printer saga

Tony
07-04-2018, 10:14 AM
I was going to update this thread (https://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?145515-Looking-for-colour-printer-recommendations) I started about looking for a new colour printer but the thread is closed (why????).

Back in mid- December my old Fuji Xerox b/w laser printer started giving me low toner warnings. I'd been thinking about getting a colour printer for a while, so took this as a hint. After a bit of looking I decided on a Samsung C1810W, which I ordered from Warehouse Stationery online. To cut a long story short it never arrived and in late January I cancelled the order, got a refund and forgot all about it. Instead I got a Kyocera from Ascent which was ordered on the Monday and arrived on Tuesday.

To my surprise in mid March the original Samsung printer arrived on my doorstep! Instead of just keeping it I did the decent thing and told WSL who said they would arrange a pickup. After 2 weeks I still had it so after taking advice from Consumer I emailed WSL to tell them the printer was unsolicited goods and was no longer available for collection. So I now have two printers, one of which I am trying to dispose of.

The interesting thing is that I unpacked and set up the Samsung, and boy am I glad I cancelled the order.

To bypass the main paper tray you have to pull it out and put one sheet of paper in a very fiddly slot.
The duplexing is totally manual - which has to be surprising in a printer that sells for about $350.

So the moral of all this is - WSL are hopeless, and Samsung printers aren't much better.

BTW the Fuji Xerox is still going and still giving me low toner warnings - I wonder how long that will last?

piroska
07-04-2018, 11:19 AM
So the moral of all this is - WSL are hopeless, and Samsung printers aren't much better.

Doesn't surprise me. Samsung always had crap hard drives too.
Monitors? They seemed alright.

I bought an HP printer.
Nothing wrong with the lovely Epson, except 2 sided printing (auto) didn't work with Linux.
So I now have HP printer number 3, they'd last oh a week or two and then the printhead (or two) would fail.

I see it is a known issue on thier own website. Crap.

So far number 3 is going OK, I kept the Epson though, I get tons of pages from a $11 cartridge and it never skipped a beat in the years I had it, so anymore printhead issues with the HP (and the warranty runs out) I'll put up with having the manual 2 sided business.

bevy121
07-04-2018, 01:33 PM
I was going to update this thread (https://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?145515-Looking-for-colour-printer-recommendations) I started about looking for a new colour printer but the thread is closed (why????).

They decided they didn't want "old" threads replied to, so in their wisdom they auto lock anything that hasn't been active (had a reply post) for a couple of months :illogical

Tony
08-04-2018, 09:26 AM
The other thing I was mentioning on the other thread was problems with printing envelopes on the Kyocera. They also weren't too good on the Samsung. I bought some good quality Croxley envelopes and they seem to be OK on the Kyocera, so that solves that, Interesting though that the old Fuji Xerox happily prints the cheap envelopes. Possibly the longer paper path on the colour printers?

09-04-2018, 10:17 AM
The other thing I was mentioning on the other thread was problems with printing envelopes on the Kyocera. They also weren't too good on the Samsung. I bought some good quality Croxley envelopes and they seem to be OK on the Kyocera, so that solves that, Interesting though that the old Fuji Xerox happily prints the cheap envelopes. Possibly the longer paper path on the colour printers?

It may be due to some printers needing to bend the paper/envelope in very tight radius's (to do the 180 or 90 deg turn) . Some Envelopes wont bent around a small radius nicely.
Some printers just cant cope with some of the claimed compatible paper sizes & envelopes

paulw
09-04-2018, 02:57 PM
How much are the toner carts for the Kyocera ??

Tony
09-04-2018, 04:10 PM
According to the one website I looked at a 3000 page cartridge is about $175. I don't know if they are available more cheaply or whether you can get refillables.

gary67
09-04-2018, 07:10 PM
Just put a generic black in my Brother that has a claimed 2500 pages cost me $40 from Computer food. I have used their own cartridges for years in my old inkjet days.

Tony
09-04-2018, 09:37 PM
Just put a generic black in my Brother that has a claimed 2500 pages cost me $40 from Computer food. I have used their own cartridges for years in my old inkjet days.

I didn't check whether black cartridges are cheaper. When the time comes I will be be checking whether I can use Cartridge World for replacements.

paulw
10-04-2018, 10:21 AM
Just wondering id a Epsom Inktank printer would be better as the refills bottle are about $20 ~ 25. Unfortunately living in the tech 3rd world here Epsom seems to have a monopoly on these printers and charge a premium. Elsewhere you can buy HP, Canon and brother ink tanks. These are not to be confused with inkjet printers.

Tony
10-04-2018, 10:39 AM
Just wondering id a Epsom Inktank printer would be better.I'd never heard of them. Presumably the delivery technology is still inkjet? I went for laser because I'm not planning to do vast amounts of colour printing and I didn't want to spend time and ink cleaning nozzles and risking it drying out.

CliveM
10-04-2018, 12:46 PM
I also went the B & W Lazer way when I selected my current printer a Canon MFC-L27400W and I am quite happy with it. I do not do a great deal of printing and the odd time I do need a colour print I put the image file on a USB stick and print it at the local Warehouse Stationery Shop. I find it cost effective to handle it in that fashion.

wratterus
10-04-2018, 02:07 PM
Should have got the Brother Tony! :p

I think HP may have bought out Samsung's printer division. Seems like a bit of an odd purchase when as far as I've ever known, Samsung printer have been pretty average. I bet it was more for the patents than anything, Samsung had probably figured out something cunning that HP wanted.

Tony
10-04-2018, 02:42 PM
Should have got the Brother Tony! :p Nah, my brother's called Chris.:)

I think you are right about HP. I know I linked to what I thought was a Samsung web page and it had HP branding all over it.

piroska
10-04-2018, 03:23 PM
Think there's a few myths around about inkjets. I have never "cleaned nozzles". I also don't turn the printer off. If you do, it generally does a bit of messing about when it starts back up, probably wasting ink.
It costs me $11 to do 1000 pages, balck, colour, whatever.

Drying out? I guess if you print rarely. I print every day.
Cartridge World? Whoever is cheap I guess.

There is one or two places slightly cheaper than where I get them (Consumables) but I found I had cartridge failures too often, so I stick with these guys as they are reliable.

Tony
10-04-2018, 03:32 PM
I guess I was talking about what happens when inkjets are turned off for a while. My colour usage is very small so I think there may have been a danger of the coloured inks drying. I know that was a problem with my one and only inkjet printer - a Lexmark, years ago.

gary67
10-04-2018, 07:13 PM
Very happy with our Brother HL-3150CDN. It isn't wireless but is networked direct into the router. Its colour with a black toner and 3 colour ones. As I mentioned the new black was $40 from Computer food who I have been using for several years.

dugimodo
10-04-2018, 10:30 PM
I have an epson inkjet I got just for printing CDs gathering dust on a shelf. I gave up on it in disgust. I would buy a new set of cartridges, print a few disks, then leave it for a month or two. Next time I tried to use it one or more colours would no longer work so I'd replace them, only to have the rest fail soon after.
This was regardless of whether I bought an $80 set of genuine cartridges or a $30 set of cheapo ones. I don't know if the ink dries up, evaporates, or just thickens and gums up the nozzle, but whatever happens my inkjet was terrible for occasional use.

I no longer print CDs or DVDs and I now use a laser printer, it can sit for months and then power up and print just fine. I've decided inkjets are pointless. The main thing they are better at is printing photo's and I never do that, for everything else a laser is just better. And if I did want to print a photo the professional machines are better at that anyway.

Lurking
11-04-2018, 12:18 PM
Seeing that title, bh bought a new Canon Pixma back in February and W10 did everything right and everything was choice.

Last week Vodafone upgraded our cable broadband to FibreFlex and reset all pcs' and tablets to their new internet description.

Should that new printer be affected in some way??, as bh can not print anything.

The internet is now trying to locate it, the flowing dots are almost hypnotic to watch.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

lurking.

Lurking
11-04-2018, 12:59 PM
Problem solved, gone to Plan B a backward step I know, but have put USB cable onto printer.

So much for modern technology.

lurking.

Ps.

12-04-2018, 11:06 AM
Think there's a few myths around about inkjets. I have never "cleaned nozzles". I also don't turn the printer off. If you do, it generally does a bit of messing about when it starts back up, probably wasting ink.

some inkjet printers are much worse than others for wasting ink
My canon was never turned off. Yet it would still spend one or two minutes doing nozzle cleaning everytime I wanted to use it
So bad , that the 'waste ink blotter full' was triggered, even though I'd only put 2 reams of paper through it . All my many ink carts were just wasted in auto cleaning
So it went into the bin some months back . I got tired of waiting for its clean routine when I only wanted to print 1 page & the ink wastage was insane.

My new Epson, its like night & day. This one I do turn off , it rarely does the self clean and when it does its quick. Even the starter carts lasted months . Although it wont let
me print at all if it detects any cart as empty. Thats really annoying when you just need to print the one B&W page.

HP's all in ones : sometimes really crappy software/drivers (been like that for eons)
So bad that one customer had to replace a working 2 year old HP allin1 , as the Win10 drivers only worked for one page then nothing (on 2 Win10 PC's) : win10 drivers were very buggy . Worked fine in Win7 .

Tony
25-04-2018, 08:44 AM
The Fuji Xerox ran out of toner at last - after first warning me in early December.
Meanwhile I have had no bites on trying to sell the Samsung - any takers here?