PDA

View Full Version : SSD Question

Poppa John
06-04-2018, 05:54 PM
Hi All

I still dont understand about SSD ddives. Surely a 25ogb ssd hold the same amount of data as the optical 250gb old drive. My big Tosshiba has a 1TB drive, I havent seen a1TB SSD yet. I jusst dont see the point in 'smalling' down the main storage. PJ

dugimodo
06-04-2018, 06:40 PM
It's because they are many times faster and make the whole system feel "snappier". The only reason people buy small SSDs is the big ones cost too much. For bulk file storage they don't make much sense, but for boot times and general running of programs they are awesome so you get a small SSD to install your main software on and a bigger conventional hard drive for everything else and get the best of both worlds - fast storage for the OS and Cheap storage for your files. You can buy SSDs all the way up to 2TB easily, and 4TB in some cases but they cost in the order of $1000 per TB (or much more for the high end ones).

They are particularly good at tasks that require finding and loading a lot of little files which happens all the time in an operating system. A mechanical drive has to physically move the drive head to the right location before it can read a file, an SSD just jumps straight there because it has no moving parts.

It's hard to describe how much better it is until you get used to it and then try going back, in a modern PC the hard drive is the slowest component.

Poppa John
06-04-2018, 07:35 PM
Thanks. That makes sense. From Elive(?) Aiuck.
Samsung 850 Pro 1TB 2.5" Sata 111 Internal ssd $686..
Intel as Above 1.6 TB $1897.

I dont think pension day would cover that. PJ

Lawrence
06-04-2018, 09:12 PM
Changing to a smaller 250GB SSD Drive need not be a backward step in fact it's a massive upgrade,everything is sped up x4 with startup/shutdown cut by 2/3rd's

Your 1 TB Drive just needs a enclosure and is used for your doc's pic's,MP3's that arn't needed on a daily basis

Have been watching this search for 2 years,picked up one of these 18 months ago $137 https://pricespy.co.nz/product.php?p=2880218&o=inkfrakt

Driftwood
06-04-2018, 09:27 PM
Yeah they're slowly coming down, first one I bought was a dollar a gigabyte.

tweak'e
07-04-2018, 02:10 PM
i think its far better to go for a small fast main drive and use a raid array or network storage for your bulk storage.
have some back up for your data.

piroska
07-04-2018, 04:05 PM
It's because they are many times faster t.

and because of how they are made.

Think flash ram, like the USB drives. Similar idea.

Whereas standard HDDs are still mechanical.
SSD will become cheaper eventually and then no doubt will be added in cornflakes packets....

09-04-2018, 10:09 AM
256GB is more than enough , as long as you dont fill it up with photos & movies
or 500M is another option, they are a reasonable price now.
Im not sure why a 1TB is needed on a laptop :-) . Im sure its just marketing .

My first PC only had a 20MB Hard drive . :badpc:

dugimodo
09-04-2018, 10:32 AM
I find 120GB a good size for a pc that is just for casual use and/or has a separate data drive but on my gamin rig I have a 512GB and it's too small so it also has a 2TB regular drive. Depends on the user.
256GB is a good general recommendation though, makes it easy to manage and gives you a bit of room to play with.

My first PC was single sided floppy based :) (360KB? I forget), my first hard drive cost me $1000 and was as big as a modern SFF PC with a massive 32MB of storage that I had to partion into 3 because the PC could only address 16MB at a time maximum including RAM.
OK I'm talking Commodore 64 & Atari ST but they are still PCs