PDA

View Full Version : Weird Win10

bk T
03-04-2018, 10:14 PM
Friend of mine brought his weird 10 PC to me this afternoon to look at:

It starts up seems OK, but after the welcome screen we are greeted by a black screen with nothing but the mouse cursor.

We have to press CTRL + ALT + DEL keys to bring up another screen with : Lock , Switch user, Sign out, Change a password, Task Manager, and Cancel.

Selecting Sign out brings up the Lock screen , press Escape key to bring up the Sign in screen , Press sign in ... and now only the normal desktop shows up.

But, at random, it starts up normally, without having to go through the above steps.

Windows 10 Home is fully updated. Windows Version 1709 (OS Build 16299.309)

Crystal disk info found HDD is in good condition.

It's working OK, otherwise. That's strange.

Any suggestions?

CliveM
03-04-2018, 10:24 PM
Run SFC /scannow

wainuitech
03-04-2018, 10:29 PM
The majority of the time its caused by Graphic Drivers ( AMD are the worst - most unstable) or something else thats running on startup.

Start the PC in Safe mode - several ways, try method 2 from https://www.digitalcitizen.life/4-ways-boot-safe-mode-windows-10. It can also be "Fast Start" causing the problem.

Start in safe mode several times , if it starts OK each and every time completely rip out the graphic Drivers and reinstall fresh ones. If its still playing up, open task manager / Startup tab. Disable EVERYTHING thats not fully needed to boot. NOTE not what would be nice to have starting.

To disable fast Start -- Scroll down the following page read- "How to enable and disable fast startup on Windows 10" https://www.windowscentral.com/how-disable-windows-10-fast-startup

The cause, usually -- Something is loading that's not fully compatible, or fully shutting down. Eg: Fast Start can hold the graphics into a deep sleep, and they dont wake correctly.

bk T
04-04-2018, 10:38 AM
Tried the above but no joy.

Ended up doing a fresh re-install of Win10. Just finished installing Win10 and it's installing the updates now. Looks ok, restarted a couple of times already without any issues.

Now, which free Office suite is best, Open office, or ...?

dugimodo
04-04-2018, 10:54 AM
Libre office is the most popular, which is best is a bit subjective.

bk T
04-04-2018, 11:08 AM
Compatible with MS Office, Word, Excel?

dugimodo
04-04-2018, 12:37 PM
I believe so but I don't use it enough to say how compatible it is in practice. I use office at work, I've never found much use for it at home.
It's free though so why not just try it and see.

bk T
05-04-2018, 09:07 AM
Restarted the PC this morning only to greet with this:

"We can't sign in to your account.
This problem can often be fixed by signing out of your account and then signing back in.
If you don't sign out now, any files create or changes you make will be lost.

Sign out Close "

Have restarted several times and it doesn't pop up the above every time, it happened 2 times this morning.

What's this about?

05-04-2018, 10:36 AM
Could be issues with a corrupt user profile . You could make a new user profile & just delete the existing one.
That may mean a HD going faulty (or HD could be OK): HD tests dont allways show HD faults
Also , make sure its not a 'live' sign in . Switch to a local a/c (it may make things easier to fix as things get worse)
https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/delete-microsoft-account-create-local-windows-10-login/

Perhaps a Windows 'reset' or 'refresh' should be done (backup all data first)
https://support.microsoft.com/en-nz/help/17085/windows-8-restore-refresh-reset-pc

wainuitech
05-04-2018, 11:22 AM
Something is corrupting the user profile, you will be wasting your time refreshing if its a new install, it WILL only happen again -- Find the cause and fix it properly.

That message usually means its logged in on a temp Profile.

Suspect could be a faulty HDD. Obviously cant tell for sure without looking at it.

1. open the eventvwr under Windows /System, scroll down, look for Disk Errors - If there are any replace the HDD. It cant be fixed.
2. Download and run crystal Disk Info https://portableapps.com/apps/utilities/crystaldiskinfo_portable When you run it, sometimes takes a few minutes, if the result is anything BUT Blue the drives got a fault.

The colours in basic english:
Blue - Drive is good, Yellow - its starting to fail, usually bad sectors - Red means its basically failed and you may not get any data back it WILL die completely very soon.
3. if the drive is good try a memory test.

Got one here now, HP, W10, running like pig, slow as a wet week, crashing often. They had "someone who knows all about computers" :rolleyes: look at it, said it was W10. ---- WRONG ( just another wannbe) :)

Opened eventvwr, disk errors logged as far as the eye could see. Ran Crystal disk info-- its a loverly shade of RED :(

bk T
05-04-2018, 11:53 AM
Crystal disk shows BLUE.

Running Memory check with MemTest 86 How long should I run the test?

High chance that it's the HDD although crystal disk shows blue.

wainuitech
05-04-2018, 12:07 PM
Crystal disk shows BLUE.

Running Memory check with MemTest 86 How long should I run the test?

High chance that it's the HDD although crystal disk shows blue. A memory test is not a quick test, of course if the memory is bad it generally shows up quick, but its not uncommon to leave memtest running overnight.

yep the HDD can still be faulty, had drives show up as Blue, then fail the next day.

All that test is doing is reading the drives SMART.

What's the eventvwr logs say /show ?

Heres what one with a bad Drive looks like.

What you can also look at is the reliability log, Sometimes if gives answers. Click on the search, type in Reli Open View reliability History.

bk T
05-04-2018, 12:12 PM
Running Memtest now.

Will check the event viewer and reliability log later.

Thanks wainuitech.

bk T
05-04-2018, 04:52 PM
4 hours has gone and Memtest found nothing wrong with it, so I stopped the test.

Event Viewer found many lines of the following errors in red:

The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
{6B3B8D23-FA8D-40B9-8DBD-B950333E2C52}
and APPID
{4839DDB7-58C2-48F5-8283-E1D1807D0D7D}
to the user NT AUTHORITY\LOCAL SERVICE SID (S-1-5-19) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool."

Details: 8762

Any clue?

Reliability monitor shows nothing -- clean

dugimodo
05-04-2018, 05:01 PM
I had a PC with a corrupted profile that was causing weird issues - although mainly with the windows store and the Netflix app.
Never did find a cure or a cause, just made a new profile and started over after a few attempts of fixing it.

In any case you can just create another profile to test with, if it doesn't help you can delete it and go back and if it does you can delete the old one.

bk T
05-04-2018, 05:18 PM
This problem is very similar to the initial problem that I need to log out and login .

BTW, how do I create a new profile?

bk T
05-04-2018, 07:13 PM
The event viewer error, "The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID ...."

Has it got something to do with the 'Activation' of Windows?

wainuitech
05-04-2018, 09:16 PM
Have a look in the system to check for activation. OR from the search type in Activation Open the result(s).

Its a permission problem. Could be part and parcel with the other problem relating to the profile.

Either the install media is bad, or there is some outside event ( hardware or some software installed) that's causing it.

If it were mine I would install Windows from fresh, update and install NOTHING ELSE, see if the problem reappears. When installing windows you get to the option to add in a product key -- Are you entering one or leaving it blank. ?

It should be blank since its had W10 on it previously. If the laptop is connected to the internet Via an Ethernet cable then it may not give the option as it may already pick it up on MS's servers.

bk T
05-04-2018, 10:44 PM
I did install Windows from fresh, wiped the HDD, I did not enter any product key, left it blank. Checked activation after installed that it was activated.

Only thing I forgot was, the Ethernet cable (Internet) was plugged in during the installation process, couldn't remember which option did I choose for the log in.

jonostilla
06-04-2018, 08:30 AM
So I joined this thread literally just to chime in. We manage a whole bunch of windows 10 machines, a large percentage all started having this problem starting yesterday.

It's intermittent like you said, it's crazy. It's happening on seemingly any versioned machine - 1507, 1703, 1709 have all had it. And since we have over a hundred machines I think we can say (based on the probability this all started yesterday) that it has nothing to do with 'hardware'. Also I don't know if it makes sense that the profile is corrupted since it DOES sign in sometimes.

Thought's anybody? Where do we escalate this with windows?

bk T
06-04-2018, 09:26 AM
That's weird! Only started to happen from yesterday?

My other 2 Win10 machines are all OK -- fully updated.

wainuitech
06-04-2018, 10:23 AM
It's intermittent like you said, it's crazy. It's happening on seemingly any versioned machine - 1507, 1703, 1709 have all had it. And since we have over a hundred machines I think we can say (based on the probability this all started yesterday) that it has nothing to do with 'hardware'. Also I don't know if it makes sense that the profile is corrupted since it DOES sign in sometimes.

Thought's anybody? Where do we escalate this with windows?

As BK T posted, his other two computers are fine. Also have not heard from any of my many customers with the same problem, and all the W10's here are fine as well.

When you say have over 100 Machines, have they all done this ?? (or at least the majority)

Its totally different fixing one PC as compared to 100. When its one PC you are best to eliminate the easy causes first (hardware) . If it were a world wide patch problem then Yes MS have done something wrong, but since its not, WHAT did you do to fix the problems ?

If a system Admin had a massive problem on many machines I'd sure as hell be finding out the problem and fixing it, NOT waiting for a patch to come from MS that wont exist yet, if at all.

Just done some searching, and cant find anything relating to this problem on a large scale in the last few weeks.

I'd be more inclined to suspect some other software that's installed (if on a 100 machines).

Let me tell an example:

A While back had a business call, saying most of their computers were starting that morning then within 5 minutes would crash and go into an endless lock or reboot. I asked if there were any that were still off, they said yes -- So I advised leave them off, do NOT turn them on.
Went to the place, unplugged two PC's from the LAN, that were off, they booted fine, ran as they should. Reconnected one, after making a restore point, checked as to what was updating, and sure enough - a few minutes later CRASH.

Started in safe mode, looked at the system restore logs and BINGO-- it was their antivirus program (Trend) updating and the update caused the crashes. Uninstalled The AV from 3 PC's in safe mode and they worked fine after that.

Where to escalate this -- look at the logs as to where the problem actually is, what's changed no matter how small that may be causing the problem (that's basic fault finding). :)

06-04-2018, 12:47 PM
those 100+ pc's
It must be site related . Something installed/running or just the way they were setup.
If it was a worldwide, common issue , it would be well know & reported.

V1507 . (did you mean 1607 ? )
1507 thats very much end of life
Unless you had a reason to block its updates.....

Look at the winupdate history , there may have been updates installing (or attempting to) when they were trying to login
Are those PC's Domain connected (login to a server) , standalone, or have 'live' logins

jonostilla
06-04-2018, 02:29 PM
That's weird! Only started to happen from yesterday?

My other 2 Win10 machines are all OK -- fully updated.

Have you been restarting them? This is an issue only on restarting (out machines are restarted twice a day). It hasn't happened to ALL of our machines but I'd guess 30%. Which is a lot.

wainuitech
06-04-2018, 03:31 PM
Have you been restarting them? This is an issue only on restarting (out machines are restarted twice a day). It hasn't happened to ALL of our machines but I'd guess 30%. Which is a lot. What do the logs say about the cause ? Also if they are logging into a temp Profile file that will be there as well.

My own workshop PC's which range from the general public to beta versions that wont be out for months, are all perfectly fine, its not uncommon to restart the main Workshop PC 3-5 times a day ( or more)

Had No phone calls from customers saying they have the problem, there's nothing being reported on various forums around the world (in the last couple of days).

The logs will tell you whats going on.

bk T
06-04-2018, 05:26 PM
jonostilla: Yes, I have restarted my 2 machines and in fact, just restarted this machine I am using now. they are perfectly OK.

I am running out of resources. I have ordered a new HDD as I don't a spare HDD to try out. Somehow, I suspect the HDD is failing, although Crystal Disk doesn't pick up.

bk T
08-04-2018, 10:32 AM
While waiting for the new HDD to arrive, I have done:

1. Downloaded and installed SeaTools. SeaTools passed various checks.

2. Re downloaded Windows 10 install files to a new USB drive but failed to complete the creation of media, from the problem PC

3. Re downloaded Win10 install files from another PC and completed successfully within minutes -- I have fast Internet access.

4. Did a clean reinstall of Windows, this time with the Ethernet cable uiplugged. Everything went through very smoothly.

5. Run Windows Update, installed all updates - restarted PC . All sweet as ....

6. Installed WPS Office -- all good.

7. Restarted PC, shut down, restarted again, -- many times ... All good.

Did all the above yesterday. Everything seems to be in perfect condition. Win10 is running perfectly, too.

I therefore concluded that the problem could be due to corrupted install media as suggested by wainuitech.

Have been shutting down, restarting, the machine countless times and it is running perfectly.

bk T
10-04-2018, 02:21 PM
4 hours has gone and Memtest found nothing wrong with it, so I stopped the test.

Event Viewer found many lines of the following errors in red:

The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
{6B3B8D23-FA8D-40B9-8DBD-B950333E2C52}
and APPID
{4839DDB7-58C2-48F5-8283-E1D1807D0D7D}
to the user NT AUTHORITY\LOCAL SERVICE SID (S-1-5-19) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool."

Details: 8762

Just checked my other 2 Win10 machines that they both have the same errors in the Event viewer but they don't cause any issues.

A quick Google search found that it's a common error with most Win10 systems. Some suggested to do some Registry hacks but I am reluctant to do it since they didn't cause any 'real' issues.

Do any of you guys have the similar error?

Laggard
10-04-2018, 05:50 PM
Could it be a update gone wrong?

I had sort of similar problems a while ago and that's what it turned out to be.

bk T
12-04-2018, 10:58 PM
Don't think so as my dates went through smoothly.

Both of my own machines and friend's machines are having identical errors!

All the 3 computers are now running OK without any issues, or at least any noticeable issues.

Speedy Gonzales
12-04-2018, 11:11 PM
"We can't sign in to your account.
This problem can often be fixed by signing out of your account and then signing back in.

Sign out Close "

Have restarted several times and it doesn't pop up the above every time, it happened 2 times this morning.

What's this about?

The same thing happened the other day, on the other PC here running Win10 1709. I think it appeared after the last update

All I did, was change to a local account. The error / message hasn't appeared since.

Speedy Gonzales
12-04-2018, 11:15 PM
Just checked my other 2 Win10 machines that they both have the same errors in the Event viewer but they don't cause any issues.

A quick Google search found that it's a common error with most Win10 systems. Some suggested to do some Registry hacks but I am reluctant to do it since they didn't cause any 'real' issues.

Do any of you guys have the similar error?

Similar errors appeared here. You can change the permissions in the registry to fix them, but more will probably appear later anyway. I would ignore them