PDA

View Full Version : What's the difference (PC component)?

Greg
02-04-2018, 05:46 PM
I'm looking at a replacement for my current lappie, which is a just-in-case scenario... my current is working perfectly so this is for now just curiosity.

My critical criteria is a 17.3" screen.

So, I found two near identical Lenovo machines. The higher priced one is a strange $800 more expensive!

Now according to the specs which I've read so far, they are in fact identical apart from... one has

Xeon E3-1505M v6 3.0 GHz

And the other:

Xeon E3-1505M v5 2.8 GHz

What the blink is the difference to justify that enormous price difference (whatever in fact these components/specs actually are - I never heard of 'em!)?

dugimodo
02-04-2018, 05:55 PM
One is skylake, one is kabylake. The V5 is a couple of years older so it may be cheaper to clear old stock. In reality the differences are pretty small, certainly not $800 worth. The V6 is a bit faster
Xeons are business/ professional class CPUs, those particular ones are equvalent to 4 core, 8 thread i7s

Greg
04-04-2018, 02:39 AM
Ah, so those are the CPU's. I also noted the lesser priced machine has a Home version of Windows 10, and there may be other slightly different specs which I missed. But the $800 difference is weird. The store I looked these up on is Ascent.