PDA

View Full Version : Do you perform any routine maintenance on your desktop?

Digby
30-03-2018, 01:35 PM
Higuys

What routine maintenance procedures do you run on your Windows 10 desktops and when? (or if any?)

I have been a bit remiss in this area, on XP and 7 I was always running Crap Cleaner and Hijack this and making registry backups.

wainuitech
30-03-2018, 01:56 PM
Generally just Ccleaner once a day, only takes a couple of seconds.
Backups are done daily automatically to a server in the workshop. Any other backups are done live to onedrive.
"Sometimes" I'll manually check for any updates.

Apart from that nothing. W10 is way more stable than W7. The majority of work these days has changed dramatically from earlier versions of windows, most is still either W7 or hardware related problems.

pcuser42
30-03-2018, 01:59 PM
SSD image and file backup to an external hard drive once a week. Occasional dusting but not as often now as this apartment isn't very dusty.

Haven't run CCleaner for a while, I guess I should :lol:

dugimodo
30-03-2018, 02:08 PM
Pretty much nothing unless something goes wrong. Works for me.

linw
30-03-2018, 03:34 PM
Me too. Why bother?

Lawrence
30-03-2018, 05:00 PM
About every 10 Days backup with AOMIE plus backup of doc's to a separate drive not connected to comp

Update any software and get rid of anything not needed with Revo and about once a week C-Cleaner and RegSeeker to clean

Greg
30-03-2018, 06:46 PM
Pretty much nothing unless something goes wrong. Works for me.

+1 (except I don't run Win10, just my all-time fave 8.1).

gary67
30-03-2018, 11:19 PM
Data backup weekly is all I do

Nomad
31-03-2018, 08:19 AM
Syncback - I have a couple of profiles that runs automatically daily. I have a internal backup HDD. Ie - Outlook email for the past with pop email until Vodafone / Clear pulled the plug. I also now still sync my photo software edits and my data files ...

External syncbacks are done when I can maybe a month or so.

Ccleaner when I have a need.

mzee
31-03-2018, 06:59 PM
I use FatDog64 v710 Linux most of the time, so have no chores to do. Changed data files are backed up to Google drive. I use W10 Pro if I need Windows software for graphics and web work. Windows 10 only goes on line to upload files to websites, updates are manual.

Speedy Gonzales
31-03-2018, 07:08 PM
Nup. All I do is use ccleaner once in a while. I've disabled most things I dont need, hibernation and all the power settings. And used netplwiz to save me putting a password in

Got tired of typing it in all the time

mzee
31-03-2018, 07:48 PM
Nup. All I do is use ccleaner once in a while. I've disabled most things I dont need, hibernation and all the power settings. And used netplwiz to save me putting a password in

Got tired of typing it in all the time

Linux usually insists on a password for every move. I use z for a password.

Speedy Gonzales
31-03-2018, 07:49 PM
I know. Used it a while ago

chiefnz
01-04-2018, 08:15 AM
No real maintenance to be honest, I avoid installing any sort of crapware etc. My Anitvirus (ESET Internet Security... which I think is one of their best releases so far) prevents any nasties from being installed etc. Over and above that, regular backups of the system disk (three times a week, 1 x full 1 x incremental & 1 x system state), then backups of my Data drive which I have split into specific folders (music, video, apps etc) each backup set has two instances (1 x incremental & 1 x full). One of the other things I need to do is implement an ¨off-site¨ backup of my NAS but need to run some cabling from the house to the garage.

I perform ¨house-keeping¨of the ¨internals¨maybe once every 6 months, not much to do here apart from getting rid of any dust on the fans and components on the motherboard which is made easier as I have a water-cooled CPU and dust covers on the case fans. The last bit is cleaning the fan on the GPU which is again done with a can of compressed air and a vacuum cleaner in close proximity to suck up all the bits of dust and fluff which become dislodged.

Apart from that as mentioned by previous posters there is nothing much else to do unless something breaks or there are software issues. Windows 10 (in terms of maintenance) is by far more stable than previous releases (bar maybe Windows 7 - which was and still is pretty solid).

Cheers,

Misty
01-04-2018, 08:20 PM
I run CCleaner once in a while. Someone in our group still does defrag on our machines, and swears by it. However defrag to me is something I gave up 7/8 yrs ago, am I mis-staken?

paulw
02-04-2018, 08:03 AM
Image backup of the whole drive partitions. Win XP, Win 7 and Win 10 preview.

Jen
02-04-2018, 10:41 AM
I just regularly wipe down the keyboard and screen on my laptop. The back of the laptop was popped off recently to replace a dead hard drive and I was surprised at how dust free it looked.

Although following on the sudden demise of my main hard drive, it is a good reminder why you should be backing up your data as a part of a routine "maintenance".

04-04-2018, 10:09 AM
I just wipe the desktop down every now & then, give it a tidy up.
Chuck empty coffee paper cups in bin. Push all the bits of paper into the draw. Try & clear it off so it looks tider .
Other bit & bobs go into the plastic paper tray on the corner.
I tried gluing down the desktop plastic veneer thats peeling/unsticking , didnt have much luck with that.

My garage/workshop desktop . Now thats a mess. Its really no mans land that one , covered in tools, parts , oil bottles etc.

04-04-2018, 10:14 AM
MY PC's , if it works its often just best not to fiddle with it. Just keep an eye on HD space , maybee an AV scan every couple of months
Replace HD's if they get unreliable .
Work XP has been running almost forever with no issues except a HD replacement.
Home Win7, it just works. No need to do anything. Turned off Winupdates on Win7 a while back to keep MS Telemetry off it . Ive seen telemetry grind Win7 PC's to a halt as it trawls through the hard drive . 'Customer Experience' pfft . :-)