PDA

View Full Version : CC Cleaner OK to update?

Digby
29-03-2018, 04:00 PM
Hi I've used CC Cleaner for years.
But I heard about problems with one of the last updates.
Is it all OK to update to the latest version?

gary67
29-03-2018, 05:56 PM
Had no issues here, updated about 2 weeks ago just fine

b....
29-03-2018, 05:57 PM
Ccleaner update had a virus alert last September.
Latest updates are fine.

zqwerty
29-03-2018, 09:07 PM
If it's anything like Speccy then it will add Chrome as default browser if you do not already have it, you have to untick the option.

Greg
29-03-2018, 11:02 PM
Thank you to the original poster, it was a good question which helped.

gary67
30-03-2018, 06:57 AM
For me it doesn't install anything else or even offer to

b....
30-03-2018, 07:44 AM
Updated last night and it had the option to install Avast ticked.

Just reminds you that you have to take your time to see what is being installed alongside the software you want. Don't just rush in, because you may get something you don't want.

John H
30-03-2018, 08:01 AM
I always update from the Piriform site and it doesn't offer to install anything else. Perhaps the problem lies with updates from the alternative Filehippo site?

zqwerty
30-03-2018, 10:16 AM
It doesn't offer anything, there is just a box to leave ticked or untick, of course if you have the software already installed ie Chrome then it probably does nothing.

I installed Speccy on a completely new laptop last night and if I hadn't noticed the ticked box I would have had Chrome on the machine which I didn't want. Got the Speccy install straight from Piriform.

Digby
30-03-2018, 11:07 AM
Thanks for all the replies.
All good for me now.
But the option to install AVAST was checked, so you do have to be careful as noted above...

mzee
31-03-2018, 07:07 PM
Piriform has been taken over by avast, so you have to be on the lookout for unwanted software. No software is totally free, some run adverts, others try to distribute software. Current versions of CCleaner are good.

gary67
31-03-2018, 07:21 PM
Just to test I downloaded the latest version from Here (https://www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner/builds) and no additional programs to be seen. However I have always downloaded the slim version

03-04-2018, 09:53 AM
CC cleaner is now owned by Avast/AVG . Those 2 AV products are riddled with scareware popups & will install crap that you dont need or want

So download CC with caution.
Just co-incidence that by default it autoloads on startup?. Sort of defeating the purpose of crap removal
The portable/light version may be the only 'safe' option.

See below :-) from Nov 2017
https://www.afterdawn.com/news/article.cfm/2017/11/20/ccleaner-becomes-adware-how-to-avoid-avast-ads
"CCleaner becomes adware"
"One of the more popular Windows cleanup tools, CCleaner, has added Avast ads on to their software"

Or just download an older version , from before all the ~issues~

wainuitech
03-04-2018, 10:50 AM
Just co-incidence that by default it autoloads on startup?. Sort of defeating the purpose of crap removal You know that can be turned off, or change various options during install .

All its loading is to check for updates and keeps an eye on how much crap is being built up, and warns the person of it.

Before that, as most techs will know, install Ccleaner on someone's PC after / during fixing it and it doesn't ever get run again until the next time they go back to fix something else, which could be years later.

Most people don't have a clue as to functions on software that's installed.