PDA

View Full Version : Network Drive Propitives

lostsoul62
22-03-2018, 05:04 AM
I have a WD MyBook 2 TB Network drive which is 5 years old and when I copy data from my computer to the Network Drive I get this message "Are you sure you want to copy these files without it's properties, Do this for all current items (1719 found) and I say yes. It seems to work ok but I don't know why. Do all Network drive say this are is it because I have a 5 year old Network Drive?

autechre
22-03-2018, 07:59 AM
This link seems to cover it:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-files/are-you-sure-you-want-to-copy-this-file-without/fa810b7e-f228-4661-9789-2090175dd7de

Basically, your MyBook is using an old disk format (FAT32) and Windows is expecting the "newer" NTFS. When you copy the files over, property information is dropped. You most likely won't notice unless you're searching in Explorer for metadata associated with the file (e.g location).

If you feel the need to resolve it, you'll need to copy everything to another backup drive, format the MyBook as NTFS and copy everything back.

wainuitech
22-03-2018, 08:10 AM
For larger drives NTFS is sometimes better.

you can convert FAT32 to NTFS without reformatting and having to do a double copy. BUT pays to make a copy first of the data ( or have the originals still) Just in case something goes wrong.

Open a command Prompt, type in: convert drive_letter: /fs:ntfs

NOTE: Drive_Letter is the letter of your back up drive.

22-03-2018, 10:15 AM
I doubt a 2TB drive will be Fat32 :)

"Network drive" ???
so how is it connected . Is it a NAS , or connected to USB port on router ? Shared off another PC ? On a MAC ?

I wouldnt worry about the properties message. As long as the files are being copied .

CYaBro
22-03-2018, 12:35 PM
I'd say it's because the MyBook doesn't know about the users files/folder security properties on your computer.
It will have it's own built in security settings for user permissions to access files/folders stored on it.
It's warning you that all of those things will be lost when you copy files/folders to it.