PDA

View Full Version : What is the best way to access my Desktop from a Laptop

DeSade
20-03-2018, 10:32 AM
Hi All

I want to create a new setup for myself and I am not sure what it the best way to do it.

My Desktop is wired to the internet and very powerful. It is in my office.
I also have a Laptop and large TV in another room

I want the desktop to be used to send its signal to the laptop and then the laptop use the TV as its monitor.
It is necessary for me to do everything I normally would if I was sitting in front of the Desktop, from Media to Games to working in Excel etc.
Essentially the laptop is a "thin client" for the Desktop machine.

I can't test any of these yet as I lack the laptop which is coming but not available to me right now.
Would something as simple as RDP work or do I need specialized software?
I need to mitigate any lag as well

Thoughts, ideas, suggestions please?

psycik
20-03-2018, 11:13 AM
RDP would work for most things.....but not games. You can also tell it to bring the sound to the laptop from the desktop for video, but you might find some lag.

Teamviewer is another option, might work better for games, but there'll still be the lag to deal with.

Media you'd be better to play on the laptop natively using the network, as you'll have better control over it. If the laptop isn't powerful enough for that (then RDP/Teamviewer will be a stretch), but you can then put plex server/or emby on your desktop and client client n your laptop and it will convert down for playback (if needed)

DeSade
20-03-2018, 11:16 AM
RDP would work for most things.....but not games. You can also tell it to bring the sound to the laptop from the desktop for video, but you might find some lag.

Teamviewer is another option, might work better for games, but there'll still be the lag to deal with.

Media you'd be better to play on the laptop natively using the network, as you'll have better control over it. If the laptop isn't powerful enough for that (then RDP/Teamviewer will be a stretch), but you can then put plex server/or emby on your desktop and client client n your laptop and it will convert down for playback (if needed)

Media is just files that won't be an issue at all.
The main issue for me is running EXE's over the link

20-03-2018, 11:23 AM
Hi All

....... to Games to .....

I need to mitigate any lag as well

You need to be realistic . gaming via remote connection .......:badpc:

Anyway, RDC is what I'd do, BUT , the PC you are remoting onto MUST be Win Pro. Not win home
Otherwise , VNC, Teamveiwer etc.

DeSade
20-03-2018, 11:28 AM
You need to be realistic . gaming via remote connection .......:badpc:

Anyway, RDC is what I'd do, BUT , the PC you are remoting onto MUST be Win Pro. Not win home
Otherwise , VNC, Teamveiwer etc.

Games are a "nice to have" but not a deal breaker.
The other EXE's are, I need full functionality without installing software to the laptop.

My Desktop is Pro, the laptop may not be.

20-03-2018, 11:30 AM
The main issue for me is running EXE's over the link

That works, BUT, the exe will be running on the remote PC. It wont interface with the PC at the other end via the remote (more or less)
You are after all just sending whats on the remote screen (more or less)

You can send sound, printing , file access (partial file access of the drives on the non remote pc) , clipboard across the remote, within reason.

DeSade
20-03-2018, 11:37 AM
That works, BUT, the exe will be running on the remote PC. It wont interface with the PC at the other end via the remote (more or less)
You are after all just sending whats on the remote screen (more or less)

You can send sound, printing , file access (partial file access of the drives on the non remote pc) , clipboard across the remote, within reason.

I mean the worst case scenario, I can transfer media files across the link and just run them on the laptop.

Nomad
20-03-2018, 11:54 AM
I have used RDP before cos we had a older PC attached to a printer since the printer driver was only 32 bit. We also used RDP curiously to play live TV broadcast with a TV tuner device and that also worked but lagged.

If you include gaming, I suppose the laptop is spec'ed to run games? Why not just install games on the laptop also then. Then you can just share your media files. Just install VLC ?

What about using a category cable and send HDMI from your desktop PC to your HDTV? And somehow rig up a wireless keyboard / mouse that works long distance.

DeSade
20-03-2018, 12:06 PM
I have used RDP before cos we had a older PC attached to a printer since the printer driver was only 32 bit. We also used RDP curiously to play live TV broadcast with a TV tuner device and that also worked but lagged.

If you include gaming, I suppose the laptop is spec'ed to run games? Why not just install games on the laptop also then. Then you can just share your media files. Just install VLC ?

What about using a category cable and send HDMI from your desktop PC to your HDTV? And somehow rig up a wireless keyboard / mouse that works long distance.

The laptop could run its own games yes but that is not what I am trying to do here.
Laptop will be connected to the TV as a monitor and I will be using a wireless keyboard and mouse to the laptop for control.

dugimodo
20-03-2018, 01:08 PM
For gaming if you play steam games the steam client will stream many games over a network. I've played racing & fighting games fullscreen with a controller in the lounge on a low powered NUC this way with no appreciable lag - it works really well. All you have to do is install steam on both machines and log into the same account, it adds the option to stream to the library automatically.

For the rest I've tried teamviewer in the past and it worked fairly well, but I've ended up just running everything besides games locally so I abandoned that myself.

20-03-2018, 01:11 PM
The laptop could run its own games yes but that is not what I am trying to do here.
Laptop will be connected to the TV as a monitor and I will be using a wireless keyboard and mouse to the laptop for control.

On the desktop : RDC (MSTSC) : options, local resources, drives ; tick c: (or d: etc)
That will add the desktops c: as a drive in the laptops my computor . So the laptop will be able to see & access the desktops hard drives you add there.

Or share folder on the desktop , map network drive on laptop. done. Much better way.

DeSade
20-03-2018, 01:44 PM
For gaming if you play steam games the steam client will stream many games over a network. I've played racing & fighting games fullscreen with a controller in the lounge on a low powered NUC this way with no appreciable lag - it works really well. All you have to do is install steam on both machines and log into the same account, it adds the option to stream to the library automatically.

For the rest I've tried teamviewer in the past and it worked fairly well, but I've ended up just running everything besides games locally so I abandoned that myself.

Does this work with the Non-Steam game library additions?

DeSade
20-03-2018, 01:46 PM
On the desktop : RDC (MSTSC) : options, local resources, drives ; tick c: (or d: etc)
That will add the desktops c: as a drive in the laptops my computor . So the laptop will be able to see & access the desktops hard drives you add there.

Or share folder on the desktop , map network drive on laptop. done. Much better way.

But I don't want to "run" anything on the laptop
I want all processing and all the grunt work done by my desktop machine.

wainuitech
20-03-2018, 02:37 PM
Basic and simple remote desktop would be the easiest way.

You have several choices.

The Inbuilt in Windows 10, but a bit of mucking about jumping from PC to laptop to start, the Audio may be a problem as well.

The good Ol RDP, dead simple to setup in W10. With the Desktop being Pro it will work fine, doesn't matter what the Laptop is.

RDP Via W10 has been made simple.

Go to the Store (on Laptop) search for "Microsoft Remote Desktop" Install the App. On the Desktop, enable remote desktop. Get either the IP address ( if static) or PC Name, Then on the laptop, open the App, Add - Enter the PC name, connect, enter the user name and password for the Desktop, Tick remember (if you want- recommended) - and that's it, you are now looking at the desktop as if sitting in front of it.

The Laptop will of course be connected to the TV some how, usually by HDMI, so what ever is on the Laptop screen will be on the TV.

Just tried the remote app on this - The Workshop PC is Pro, this is home, can connect to the Desktop, play a music or video from the desktop, and the audio is coming out the speakers on the Home. Video is no jittering/ lagging, smooth as silk.

The only downside is you need to have a password on the Desktop, and when it connected it will log you out so you need to log back in again.

DeSade
20-03-2018, 03:07 PM
Basic and simple remote desktop would be the easiest way.

You have several choices.

The Inbuilt in Windows 10, but a bit of mucking about jumping from PC to laptop to start, the Audio may be a problem as well.

The good Ol RDP, dead simple to setup in W10. With the Desktop being Pro it will work fine, doesn't matter what the Laptop is.

RDP Via W10 has been made simple.

Go to the Store (on Laptop) search for "Microsoft Remote Desktop" Install the App. On the Desktop, enable remote desktop. Get either the IP address ( if static) or PC Name, Then on the laptop, open the App, Add - Enter the PC name, connect, enter the user name and password for the Desktop, Tick remember (if you want- recommended) - and that's it, you are now looking at the desktop as if sitting in front of it.

The Laptop will of course be connected to the TV some how, usually by HDMI, so what ever is on the Laptop screen will be on the TV.

Just tried the remote app on this - The Workshop PC is Pro, this is home, can connect to the Desktop, play a music or video from the desktop, and the audio is coming out the speakers on the Home. Video is no jittering/ lagging, smooth as silk.

The only downside is you need to have a password on the Desktop, and when it connected it will log you out so you need to log back in again.

I think this is the best way, tried and true RDP.
Although I really did want to get the games to run through this set up.....
I will try RDP and the steam cast thing in conjunction, means the laptop has to process some but all good.

wainuitech
20-03-2018, 03:19 PM
I think this is the best way, tried and true RDP.
Although I really did want to get the games to run through this set up.....
I will try RDP and the steam cast thing in conjunction, means the laptop has to process some but all good.The App mentioned does the same thing as the older Remote connection, just looks a bit more modern and graphical. The games may run fine, the bottle neck will be the LAN connections, it will only run as fast as the slowest point ( what ever that may be including the cast).

dugimodo
20-03-2018, 03:32 PM
Does this work with the Non-Steam game library additions?

Haven't tried but I'd say no. It doesn't even work with every steam game. The ones it works for it does well though.