PDA

View Full Version : At my wits end with internet connection

ephesus
19-03-2018, 02:13 PM
Hi, Just wondering if anyone can shine some light on my problem. I have been having unstable VDSL. Sometimes it would disconnect and come back on in a few seconds, other time a few minutes. Had 2 new modems from Spark but it happened again so my guess the fault is not with the modem. SparkChorus have done testing at their end/exchanges but couldn't find any problem - they claimed. It happens both on LAN and Wifi. Suggestions?

dugimodo
19-03-2018, 03:18 PM
The modem should have an indicator light for DSL. It may say DSL, or WAN, or have a picture of the world. When the connection stops working check that light - if it's out then the connection has dropped off. If it's on then you are having some other kind of issue.

These problems can be very hard to track down but all you can do is keep at them and keep reporting it until it gets resolved. The supplied modems aren't all that good, but they do work ok for a lot of people. Are you a heavy internet user? The more different connections the router has to manage at once or sometimes just a single connection with a lot of network traffic (like a torrent say) then the more likely the cheap ones will fall over under the load.

I know it can be frustrating, I had a faulty copper line that took a few repeat reports on my part to get fixed. First they thought it was the modem, then they replaced the filter, then someone finally found a faulty joint in the cable down the road and it all came right.
It's not from lack of trying, it's hard to find a fault that comes and goes. Once it was fixed though I had a couple years of great service before switching to fibre.

wratterus
19-03-2018, 03:30 PM
Have you had a master splitter installed?

ephesus
19-03-2018, 04:14 PM
The modem should have an indicator light for DSL. It may say DSL, or WAN, or have a picture of the world. When the connection stops working check that light - if it's out then the connection has dropped off. If it's on then you are having some other kind of issue.

These problems can be very hard to track down but all you can do is keep at them and keep reporting it until it gets resolved. The supplied modems aren't all that good, but they do work ok for a lot of people. Are you a heavy internet user? The more different connections the router has to manage at once or sometimes just a single connection with a lot of network traffic (like a torrent say) then the more likely the cheap ones will fall over under the load.

The only light that goes off is the "Internet". All others stay on. If I know it is the modem I will definitely change it but I already had two new ones from Spark - Spark tech did suggest that - doh!
I used to have Netgear modems before but changed to Huawei after upgraded to VDSL. Not a heavy user but do have the modem on 24/7.

Chorus just physically inspected the line but couldn't find any fault but they did change the connection to another wire and will monitor it. Hope that works and shall keep trying to see what the problem might be.

BTW the tech that just came out told me that Chorus's policy regarding unstable connections are that they will only escalate such issues if they are 8 disconnections or more over a 24 hours period. If the disconnections are less than that then it is not an issue. Doesn't seem right.

ephesus
19-03-2018, 04:16 PM
Have you had a master splitter installed?

Not sure what a master splitter is but only on naked BB and have disconnected splitter.

dugimodo
19-03-2018, 04:30 PM
What is supposed to happen with a VDSL installation is that a master splitter gets installed in the ETP (white box on the outside of the house) and a dedicated cat 5 cable is run to a jackpoint that is only for broadband. This separates the VDSL from the rest of the phone wiring which can affect the speed even if it's not in use. This wasn't always the standard though and not all installers complied with it after chorus introduced it.

If you were using plug in filters you don't need them and can unplug them all, but only if you also unplug any unused phones etc. You should not have been using plug in filters with VDSL anyway.