PDA

View Full Version : Return Of The Village Idiot, Part 64

SurferJoe46
15-03-2018, 07:57 PM
I hate to admit it, but I'm bringing up another computer for the H of it.

I used the page that was suggested to me - and there's a snag on it now that wasn't there before.

Here's the instructions:

16 May 2014
installing rtl8812au on ubuntu for wireless dual-band usb adapters

Devices using the Realtek AC600 & AC1200 chipsets, such as the Edimax EW-7811UTC and Edimax EW-7822UAC, require drivers that have not been merged with the linux kernel and do not come with most linux distros(yet). Follow this guide to install them yourself!

Make sure you have the required build packages
sudo apt-get install linux-headers-generic build-essential git

Download the updated source code
git clone https://github.com/scrivy/rtl8812AU_8821AU_linux.git

Compile the kernel module
cd rtl8812AU_8821AU_linux
make
Install it!
sudo make install
sudo modprobe 8812au

plug in your wifi adapter and enjoy!

After this line :"git clone https://github.com/scrivy/rtl8812AU_8821AU_linux.git"....... I get asked for a password.

Never saw that coming!

Any idea what's going on now?

KarameaDave
15-03-2018, 11:06 PM
Nup, no idea, but you can get there in your browser Firefox and there is a green rectangle that says clone or download.
Download it, cd into it, then install it is what I would do.

SurferJoe46
16-03-2018, 03:55 PM
Urgh!

joseph@SurfersMintu1 ~/rtl8812au $ sudo apt-get install linux-headers-generic build-essential git
[sudo] password for joseph:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
build-essential is already the newest version.
git is already the newest version.
linux-headers-generic is already the newest version.
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
linux-headers-3.13.0-141 linux-headers-3.13.0-141-generic
linux-headers-3.13.0-142 linux-headers-3.13.0-142-generic
Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 27 not upgraded.
joseph@SurfersMintu1 ~/rtl8812au $ cd rtl8812AU_8821AU_linux
bash: cd: rtl8812AU_8821AU_linux: No such file or directory
joseph@SurfersMintu1 ~/rtl8812au $ apt-get autoremove
E: Could not open lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (13: Permission denied)
E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), are you root?
joseph@SurfersMintu1 ~/rtl8812au $

Obviously I have all the info I need to install the rtl8812au driver, and then I followed the directions to 'apt-get autoremove' which was fruitless.

Cloning just takes me full circle again and it asks for scrivy's password.

Rod J
16-03-2018, 10:56 PM
"apt-get autoremove" failed because it needs to be run with root permissions, that's why the error messages say "Permission denied" and it's asking you " are you root?".

Try "sudo apt-get autoremove" instead. Of course, the autoremove is just a suggestion by the apt system to do a little house-keeping ... you could just ignore it.

I haven't used git hardly at all so I don't know why it's failing. Obviously, the folders you're trying to cd into don't exist (yet).

Rod J
16-03-2018, 11:23 PM
OK, after a bit more fiddling and a memory refresh myself (I have used git in the past, but forgot most of it): You have to create a git account or just sign in if you already have an account. That's why it's asking you for a password on the git line you're executing.

Alternatively, go to https://github.com/scrivy/rtl8812AU_8821AU_linux in your browser and click on the green "Clone or download" button (as Dave suggested) and then click on "Download Zip" at the bottom.

KarameaDave
16-03-2018, 11:29 PM
Download the zip archive
Extract it.
cd into it
run your commands
good luck

SurferJoe46
17-03-2018, 03:16 AM
Got it!

It took some artistry, but I got it running and the speed is up at my upper limit, minus a percent or two.

I think my Alpha Unit is dying....... I can send data faster by semaphore flags than with it.

PS..... Beautiful morning here in Rightsideup Land. Youse guys settling into winter doldrums now..... huh?

gary67
17-03-2018, 08:43 AM
Went to Kaikoura yesterday it was a balmy 25C and no wind a glorious day indeed, even got snapped by a Tomtom camera car that went down the main street. Watch out for me on your next map update if you have a Tomtom GPS

KarameaDave
17-03-2018, 09:46 AM
Glad you got it sorted Joe.

SurferJoe46
17-03-2018, 02:07 PM
Me too. I havent fired it up yet today...... so we'll see if the fix is on.