PDA

View Full Version : Office 2003 ed

beetle
11-03-2018, 12:13 PM
So ages ago i needed Publisher for work, after great drama, I got a laptop that already had it on it.
And last year our work closed down so got made redundant. saved everything I possibly could need to a external hard drive for future use.

since moving and packing up stuff in my house I came across a edition of Microsoft Office Student / teacher edition I bought while doing teacher training.

have the sticker on the back and disc, so waanted to use office on tower I have but keeps asking me for a months free trial or to buy it, - I believe its 2010 edition ? but to continue using it, I thought maybe it would take the old product key number. but no it doesnt.

Since I have it already and its been put on my tower already, can someone explain to me why it does not accept it or let me use it?

currently misplaced the laptop I used previously, but its a bit of a pain swapping between machines again.

Thanks

wainuitech
11-03-2018, 12:50 PM
Depending on the edition will depend on if teh licence key works.

If its a genuine Office H&S then it will look loike this picture, a gold coloured CD.

http://news-bits.xyz/2017/11/08/microsoft-office-home-and-student-2003-full-retail-windows-new/

If its a Burnt CD that someone gave you ( even from work) then it has to use the correct key for the edition. Meaning if you have a general/std licence but its a volume/Educational version the keys wont cross function.

If you have Office 2010 then no way will a product key from earlier version work.

You can try,this but more than likely wont work as the versions you have are to old. You can go to https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/office Enter in your Product key, it will either give you a downlaod link, or some message saying not available, but on the odd occasion it will actually tell you what version it is.

beetle
11-03-2018, 12:57 PM
i bought it from warehouse stationary. its original.

:confused:

wainuitech
11-03-2018, 01:10 PM
If its all the same, as in no ones changed the CD for some other then the key should work fine. Normally with Office 2003, you put in the CD, allow it to run ( if prompted) it loads a few files, then gives you the product key box, enter the 25 Digit code and away it goes.

From Memory, with Office 2003, the product key is on an orange sticker stuck to the case.

beetle
11-03-2018, 03:13 PM
Yes it is, I tried that earlier and put key code in and it said error, so thats why I came here and asked.

so its either wrong, or too out of date ?

wainuitech
11-03-2018, 04:14 PM
It wont be out of date, it would never expire.

The key appears to be incorrect for the version. Double check if its got 8 and B in the numbers/letters its easily confused, the 8 my actually be a B

What happens is when you enter a Key, its checked against the version within the CD, if its accepted it will carry on of not it stops /errors.

12-03-2018, 08:37 AM
You dont get publisher with that version . So Pub may be just the trial.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Office_2003

does word,excel run OK ?

also , its it 2010 or 2003 ? you mentioned both

beetle
25-03-2018, 08:44 PM
Ive not been back and explored.........misplaced the cd so will get round to re trying the number at some stage......

been too busy trying to get another job............... or keeping up with house work........:o

life been far to busy and irratic.......... when it slows down..... lol hopefully not till im in the ground. :D

piroska
26-03-2018, 04:14 PM
OEM means use for the existing machine. Not put onto another It can tell, thats why.

Now I could tell you something naughty involving disabling activation but that would be an illegal thing to do.

wainuitech
26-03-2018, 05:32 PM
OEM means use for the existing machine. Not put onto another It can tell, thats why.
. Narrrrrr Not at all. Just becasue its OEM doesn't mean it wont install ( activating may be a different story)

As originally posted
have the sticker on the back and disc, If the Product key is for the correct Media it will still go in. OEM usually has the full version(pro) installed, when first starting if you enter a key it will install the correct version.

OEM installs usually install Via the OPK available from the OEM Partner. I got Office 2003, 2007 & 2010 OPK's ( somewhere in the draw in the workshop) Bit surprised, I remembered my log in LOL

27-03-2018, 09:40 AM

Now I could tell you something naughty involving disabling activation but that would be an illegal thing to do.

too much conflicting info anyway

2003, 2010 both mentioned . Is it OEM, retail ?
'student/teacher version' ; thats not the same as home & student . Its not even a thing :-) there is Office Professional Academic (that does have Pub)
Home & Student doesnt have Publisher , so not likely to be home & student
'bought from warehouse stationary' so unlikely to be ~student/teacher~ or academic edition ?

Did she install Pub separately ?

add to that that 2010 online activation now has a bug , if you need to ph activate it can sometimes come up with 'this product can no longer be activated by phone' (you need to google for a MS contact ph number)

If there are other older or newer trail/full version of Office on that PC, that might be causing some issues with activation or accepting product keys
It could also simply be the CD doesnt match her product key , maybee that key was for something else, a different version than her CD ?

Home & Student possibly gives 3 separate installs anyway ? but has no PUB
Office Academic version (if it is that) may be linked to her original teaching job so may not be activatable anymore ?

MS made there own mess with all these versions, and rather than spell things out clearly on the front of the box, they hid info in small type on the back.
No wonder so many thought they could install on 2 PC's , 3 PC's , replacement PC's , and so many got caught buying the product that didnt have Outlook
Ive had many arguments with clients regarding how many times & on how many PCs Office can be installed on.
And it doesnt help when Toaster shops have no clue & tell customers totally wrong info when they buy Office :-)

27-03-2018, 09:42 AM
On the PC you are trying to install on.
Uninstall all other Office installs

go here, download Office 2010 , you'll need the install key
https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/office