PDA

View Full Version : How to restore PC back to it's new state

Greg
10-03-2018, 06:05 PM
I'll be wanting to pass on my PC to a family member and want it back to it's as new state, ie back to Win8, ie completely restore it to as when I bought it. Is this easy to do? It's a +/- 3 year old Toshiba Satellite currently running Win8.1. with twin hard drives (one for opsys and apps, the other for data).

Driftwood
10-03-2018, 06:21 PM
How cruel, give someone a pc with Windows 8.1

wainuitech
10-03-2018, 09:47 PM
https://support.toshiba.com/support/viewContentDetail?contentId=2737864

piroska
11-03-2018, 07:34 AM
laptops? Yes, you run the install discs again, if you haven't got any, there is usually a program to create them on it.
If that has been wiped too, then reinstall windows, and the drivers.

mzee
11-03-2018, 11:53 AM
When I do a clean install I always make an image backup of it after all the drivers are installed, and activation has been completed, but before installing any software. This way all I have to do is restore the image. I usually place a copy on the hard drive in a hidden partition, and also on an external USB drive.

gary67
11-03-2018, 07:07 PM
I used to make images but since 10 came out haven't bothered as so easy to quickly download the latest version and install from scratch

Greg
11-03-2018, 08:48 PM
https://support.toshiba.com/support/viewContentDetail?contentId=2737864

Thanks Wainui. Once I've done that I'll clean all the bloat/crapware and re-upgrade it to a clean Win8.1. Purpose of course is to clean up and allocate all my assets in my last days when I'm or just before I'm admitted to the local hospice to avoid the expense and schlep of going through a lawyer for a will. Cheers.

Bryan
12-03-2018, 08:56 AM
Greg. Just I hope a piece of advice for you. If a person dies without a Will, anything you have left behind needs to go to Probate. If you don't have a Will, the Estate will be administered by the Public Trust and they will charge the Estate "for their help". If there is no clear line to the dependants, what you have left could end up in Government funds.

For the cost of a Solicitor to prepare a simple Will for you, your Estate may well benefit greatly money-wise. You can be sure that the Will will reflect your desires as to how the Estate is to be settled. My humble opinion is that a Will is a necessity even if it might cost a little. You can also get a blank Will form that you can complete yourself. Probably Google NZ can help.

CliveM
12-03-2018, 04:41 PM
Greg. Just I hope a piece of advice for you. If a person dies without a Will, anything you have left behind needs to go to Probate. If you don't have a Will, the Estate will be administered by the Public Trust and they will charge the Estate "for their help". If there is no clear line to the dependants, what you have left could end up in Government funds.

For the cost of a Solicitor to prepare a simple Will for you, your Estate may well benefit greatly money-wise. You can be sure that the Will will reflect your desires as to how the Estate is to be settled. My humble opinion is that a Will is a necessity even if it might cost a little. You can also get a blank Will form that you can complete yourself. Probably Google NZ can help.

Good advice there Bryan. Greg most Solicitors will prepare a will for you a a very reasonable cost and that way you can be sure your wishes come first. Do it before you become to ill.

piroska
12-03-2018, 05:20 PM
allocate all my assets in my last days avoid the expense and schlep of going through a lawyer for a will. Cheers.

You can make a will yourself you know. Legally.
All you do is write it out, date, sign it, etc...
And have 2 witnesses, not beneficiaries sign and date it too.
There's formats online if you want to use one.

I found my dads will the other week....ooops. 3 years later.
never mind it went to my mum first, which we knew already it most likely said anyway.

hers, I typed it up, she signed it and 2 friends witnessed it.

Greg
14-03-2018, 01:49 PM
Thanks folks. Turns out a counsellor from the hospice will be visiting me to assist with my final wishes.