PDA

View Full Version : I'm on Firefox - thinking of going to Edge

Digby
28-02-2018, 10:40 AM
I've been a Firefox user for years.
I don't like the look of Chrome.

For years I have been frustrated with Firefox due to the fact that many websites do not work well with it.
Eg the Herald, Stuff their log ins are problematical and printing a Herald article (using its print button at the bottom of the article) only gives me one page on Firefox, but I get the whole article on Chrome and Edge.

Id had forgotten all about Edge
Til today when I read about two new features from Windows 10 that are coming soon, Sets and Timeline.
They look quite useful especially if you use Edge.

I think that webmasters optimise their sites for Chrome, and then forget to check Firefox due to its now much lower user base.

What do you think?

28-02-2018, 11:20 AM
Use both .
Then Pick your winner :-)

Driftwood
28-02-2018, 11:33 AM
Use Edge on all the systems here.
It is the default program.
I can't see the point of installing a third party program when there are already two others installed that will do the job.

CliveM
28-02-2018, 01:27 PM
I am using Edge quite a lot now without many problems. 1 extension I use will install but not run in Edge. Also use Chrome a bit which I keep installed in case Edge does not play nice withanything.

piroska
28-02-2018, 04:16 PM
Eg the Herald, Stuff their log ins are problematical and printing a Herald article

Well never had an issue with either of those sites you mention, used both and Firefox for years.....
Still do.

Edge? Oh yeah, Win10......

Running Linux I don't think so, I haven't needed to install Chromium either even, no issues at all....

wainuitech
28-02-2018, 05:12 PM
For years I have been frustrated with Firefox due to the fact that many websites do not work well with it.
Eg the Herald, Stuff their log ins are problematical and printing a Herald article (using its print button at the bottom of the article) only gives me one page on Firefox, but I get the whole article on Chrome and Edge.

Id had forgotten all about Edge
Til today when I read about two new features from Windows 10 that are coming soon, Sets and Timeline.
They look quite useful especially if you use Edge.

Had LOTS of customers as well as myself have the same problems with Firefox. Often if printing a web page FF wont do it, normally it comes out blank with maybe a page number or page title. None of the other browsers do it, they print what you are meant to get.

Just tried an article on Herald, FireFox = total nothing apart from a couple of headers, YET Chrome, Edge, Opera = All printed perfectly.

FF is the ONLY one that also doesn't give a preview of whats going to print, so its guess work as to what you will get.

The "new" Features that Edge have coming VERY shortly with the next release,works well ( they are on the insider builds already). One is an option to not print all the clutter. Meaning it only prints the article you may want, not all the extra crap. With the simple single click you can turn it on/off in the print window, you can see the differences in the preview window instantly. None of the other browsers have this option AFAIK.

Digby
28-02-2018, 06:37 PM
Well never had an issue with either of those sites you mention, used both and Firefox for years.....
Still do.

Edge? Oh yeah, Win10......

Running Linux I don't think so, I haven't needed to install Chromium either even, no issues at all....

As Wainuitech says below Firefox only ever prints the first page from the Herlds print button at the bottom left of the screen.

And When I go to use Stuff comments it more often than not says there is an error when I go to post it. (So I lose all my work!)

Chrome never does these things.

Firefox have been told about this for years.
So if they cant be bothered to fix it, I cant be bothered to stay with them

And I don't like Chromes layout (or lack of layout) and I don't trust Google not to spy on me.
So Edge is looking good, and that new printing feature Wainuitech mentions looks good to.

Digby
28-02-2018, 06:40 PM
Use both .
Then Pick your winner :-)

Thanks for the advice
Now I am also in the market for a new car.
I cant decide between an Lamborghini or a McLaren can you help me here to?

pcuser42
28-02-2018, 06:41 PM
From a web developer's point of view: please oh please stick with Firefox ;)

gary67
28-02-2018, 08:04 PM
I use FF exclusively, refuse to install Chrome its horrible, won't use IE, tried Edge but the extensions I use daily don't work or are not available. I don't print web pages so FF is fine for me.

wainuitech
28-02-2018, 08:43 PM
So Edge is looking good, and that new printing feature Wainuitech mentions looks good to.

Heres a review on it, I'm on a Normal W10 at the moment not the insider.

print-website-articles-clean-and-clutter-free-with-microsoft-edge/ (https://www.groovypost.com/howto/print-website-articles-clean-and-clutter-free-with-microsoft-edge/)

mzee
28-02-2018, 08:49 PM
I use Chrome because its not just a browser, it is an OS on its own, and as I do most of my work online it suits me fine. It is a bit heavy on resources but not considering what Chrome will do. As for Edge, I have tried several times, but the lack of extensions makes it impossible for me to use, also I use Linux most of the time because its faster, and doesn't get busy with updates, virus scans etc when you are trying to get something done. Its all a matter of preference, each to his own. Tried Opera recently, not bad at all.

coldot
01-03-2018, 08:05 AM
1 Opera and 2 Chrome with occasional resort to 3 Edge. Got rid of Firefox when they eliminated FireFTP, their most useful add-on.

01-03-2018, 09:22 AM
when some of MS's own products dont work 100% with Edge .... and that was admitted by MS ....
says it all really

Digby
01-03-2018, 11:42 AM
From a web developer's point of view: please oh please stick with Firefox ;)

I don't understand quite what you mean.
But I will if you get Stuff and the Herald to optimise their sites for Firefox.
But I suspect there is a deeper problem at Firefox, they have known their printing sucks for years, and have not bothered to do anything about it.
I know we are all different.
But I like to print pages out.

pcuser42
01-03-2018, 12:01 PM
I don't understand quite what you mean.
But I will if you get Stuff and the Herald to optimise their sites for Firefox.
But I suspect there is a deeper problem at Firefox, they have known their printing sucks for years, and have not bothered to do anything about it.
I know we are all different.
But I like to print pages out.

I can't even remember the last time I printed a web page, but the rendering engine in any non-Microsoft browser has always been superior to what Microsoft have done, even in Edge ;)

chiefnz
02-03-2018, 03:53 AM
Yeah Im'm in the same boat, I have used Firefox religiously for a really long time now.

I have to admit that more problems seems to have start accurring since the release of Quantum.... my preference would be to stay on Firefox as as I used quite a few add-ons plus I'm so used to the interface I don't really want to change, I'm not at the end of my tether with Firefox but I do get a bit annoyed when Edge/IE are able to display web pages better than FF. I will stick to Firefox for the moment at least as long as my patience doesn't run out.

gary67
02-03-2018, 06:38 AM
I don't seem to have any of the issues with FF that others have. Stuff.co.nz renders fine for me

pcuser42
02-03-2018, 09:25 AM
I don't seem to have any of the issues with FF that others have. Stuff.co.nz renders fine for me

Same here. All the plugins I was using either had WebExtension versions, had a reasonable replacement or were unnecessary anyway.

wainuitech
02-03-2018, 09:57 AM
Firefox displays the pages correctly, printing, total rubbish and incorrect.

Take a look at the following two pictures, its an article from the herald.

1st Edge ( and every other browser), the preview is as its written on the site and prints as such. The complete article when printed should be 5 pages.

2nd Picture, Firefox, most of the text is missing and only 2 pages.

8721 8722

autechre
02-03-2018, 10:13 AM
Looks like its an issue with nzheralds (awful) new layout. Stuff seems to be ok for me in Firefox & SeaMonkey. The Herald, not so much - the print preview is broken.

Email the links instead of using Edge :D

02-03-2018, 12:01 PM
Any browser that defaults to using Bing is junk :badpc: :badpc:

A search engine so bad it cant send you to MS Links when you search for MS product names .
It will however send you to some bogus websites after searching for MS's own products .
a banana for Edge , and Bing . :banana

Neil F
02-03-2018, 01:14 PM
I have Edge as my Default browser but also use Opera and Firefox as backups. Each has its own gains and losses

B.M.
02-03-2018, 04:49 PM
Can someone provide a link to a page that won’t print so the rest of us can check and see if there is something in common.

wainuitech
02-03-2018, 04:53 PM
Just about any article you like in NZHerald.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12005221

That one in Firefox is mostly blank, all other browsers are fine.

zqwerty
02-03-2018, 07:02 PM
In print preview try ticking simplify page

B.M.
03-03-2018, 06:56 AM
Just about any article you like in NZHerald.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12005221

That one in Firefox is mostly blank, all other browsers are fine.

Thanks Wainui.

Yep, epic fail here using Linux Mint ver 18.0 – Firefox ver 56.0 – Canon MP2900 series printer.

First printing fail I’ve had with that combination, so suspect the Herald Site. :confused:

wainuitech
03-03-2018, 09:47 AM
Thanks Wainui.

Yep, epic fail here using Linux Mint ver 18.0 – Firefox ver 56.0 – Canon MP2900 series printer.

First printing fail I’ve had with that combination, so suspect the Herald Site. :confused: Could be a combination of both FF and Herald.

Just had a look on Aliexpress, both FF, Opera, Chrome & Edge all printed identical = As its seen/displayed.

B.M.
03-03-2018, 10:51 AM
Could be a combination of both FF and Herald.

Just had a look on Aliexpress, both FF, Opera, Chrome & Edge all printed identical = As its seen/displayed.

Hmmm, thinking about it, I can remember in the dim dark ages getting messages from a few sites advising “You must use Internet Explorer to view this page”.

Wonder if we have a modern day equivalent of not being able to Print the page, as opposed to View the page?

A few more errant Sites from other people may shed more light on the matter. :)

rumpty
03-03-2018, 02:02 PM
In print preview try ticking simplify page
Simplify page, what a good idea. Basically prints just the text, and all the text, sometimes with a bit extra.

Digby
05-03-2018, 10:22 PM
I think the problem is that Firefox's printing is nto thatgreat (even they have admitted)
And some websites eg the Herald can't be bothered to check that their site works perfectly on a browser with only 10% of the market.

Terry Porritt
08-03-2018, 08:06 PM
Found out today how to print a web site PDF properly when if just Print is selected Firefox only produces a one page blank.

With the Brother driver, if the PDF is right clicked, and you choose Print from the drop down window a new format of print options appears that I haven't seen before.

There is an option to Print as Image, tick this and all or any selected pages can then be printed as usual.

I don't know if this exists with other printers, I expect it will though somewhere.