PDA

View Full Version : New build system image

PeterQ
28-02-2018, 10:34 AM
I have a new desktop PC and was wondering whether I can take the backup HDD with system image of the old computer, put it in the new one and restore files, I wont be using the same windows license as the new one has its own, help would be appreciated

psycik
28-02-2018, 12:22 PM
I have a new desktop PC and was wondering whether I can take the backup HDD with system image of the old computer, put it in the new one and restore files, I wont be using the same windows license as the new one has its own, help would be appreciated

Depending on OS yes.

If windows, and going to a modern one, you can get disk2vhd, and take an image of your current physical hard drive, then in Windows 10 (for example) you can either mount that as a drive....or if you really want, spin it up as a virtual machine and run your old computer.

I did this for my work machine before rebuilding it, and now have my old machine as a Hyper-V vm....or just a mountable drive to pull old files off.

PeterQ
28-02-2018, 12:37 PM
Thanks psycik yes that what I was intending to do but was just a bit worried about the files on the system image not correlating ( if that's the word ) with the new one

psycik
28-02-2018, 01:23 PM
Thanks psycik yes that what I was intending to do but was just a bit worried about the files on the system image not correlating ( if that's the word ) with the new one

They wont have any connection to the new machine at all. it's a self contained image.