PDA

View Full Version : How to make an SD card seem like a USB thumb drive to a computer?

mzee
27-02-2018, 11:12 PM
I have a Hewlett Packard G3 Stream laptop running windows 10, with FatDog64 linux loaded by LICK. For reasons unknown, FD will only load its savefile from a USB stick, It will not load the file from the emmc hard drive. I have a 32GB SD card which the computer lists as mmcblk1p1. How can I make it appear to be a USB stick, and be listed as SDA1, SDB1 etc? I could then use it for the savefile.

Kame
28-02-2018, 10:29 AM
You don't need it named sdx to use it like a USB drive, the naming convention is based on type of device.

I am not sure what you mean by "savefile" but to me, the laptop is not capable of booting from the memory stick reader which is a limitation of your bios and maybe this is your issue?

You may want an SD/memory reader USB stick, so you can turn it into an actual USB stick.

Otherwise you should have no issue mounting mmc devices and using it within the OS.

mzee
28-02-2018, 08:56 PM
You don't need it named sdx to use it like a USB drive, the naming convention is based on type of device.

I am not sure what you mean by "savefile" but to me, the laptop is not capable of booting from the memory stick reader which is a limitation of your bios and maybe this is your issue?

You may want an SD/memory reader USB stick, so you can turn it into an actual USB stick.

Otherwise you should have no issue mounting mmc devices and using it within the OS.

The save file is for FatDog64 Linux. For some reason it will not read the file on an emmc drive, including a SD card. It will read the file on a USB data stick. My idea was to make the SD card appear to be USB to the computer. On conventional SATA and SSD drives this does not happen.

rumpty
01-03-2018, 03:16 PM
I bought a Kingston MobileLite G4 adaptor to do that sort of job. An SD card socket on one end, and a USB plug on the other.

Kame
01-03-2018, 08:03 PM
I understand what a savefile is now, it's a session save, and I see how it's created and the issue lies in the script they use to create it, as they only try certain devices and it really needs a means to use all block devices.

It's not a tough fix, but it should be directed to the devs so they can fix it and make it mainstream.

Since your question was about changing the device to be named as an sdx device instead, the way you should go about this is to create udev rules for it.

Unfortunately, it's something you'll probably need to read up on to create the rules for your device as its a bit indepth until you understand how rules are created.

Alternative ways would be using mknod but udev should be the preferred way.