PDA

View Full Version : Acer Aspire problem

Driftwood
27-02-2018, 06:12 PM
I have a Acer Aspire ES1-531-P4H4 which was in a continual repair loop.
I managed to do a repair from a windows 10 DVD.
I only lasted a short while before reverting to the same.
It had heaps of third party software & all the usual bloatware.
Rather than go for the factory reset we opted for a clean install.
It initially boots from the DVD but wont start the installation.
Comes up with a nice blue recovery window with the options "Enter to try again" OR "F8 for startup options"
Neither of which do any thing.
Thinking I could outsmart it, I booted from a Linux disk & formatted the drive & the recovery partition.
However it still wont load beyond the recovery window.

wainuitech
27-02-2018, 06:40 PM
Normally Dont bother formatting the drive, it only adds trouble.

If you can boot it from Linux, or some other partition software, completely remove all partitions so the drive is empty. Then try booting from the DVD. You may have to tap what ever key is required to get to the boot menu options.

If its booting to a recovery window its not booting correctly / From the DVD. If the drives really blank there wont be any recovery to boot from.

Some, depending on the laptop, you'll need to use a bootable USB drive instead of DVD.

Being Acer, it should be one of the following --- F2 / Delete / F1 / Ctrl + Alt + Esc

feersumendjinn
27-02-2018, 06:48 PM
Sounds like the Hdd is toast (apart from the recovery partition), or the cmos/bios is corrupted (flat battery?).

Driftwood
27-02-2018, 07:49 PM
[QUOTE=wainuitech;1273631]Normally Dont bother formatting the drive, it only adds trouble.

If you can boot it from Linux, or some other partition software, completely remove all partitions so the drive is empty. Then try booting from the DVD. You may have to tap what ever key is required to get to the boot menu options.

If its booting to a recovery window its not booting correctly / From the DVD. If the drives really blank there wont be any recovery to boot from.

Some, depending on the laptop, you'll need to use a bootable USB drive instead of DVD.

Being Acer, it should be one of the following --- F2 / Delete / F1 / Ctrl + Alt + Esc[/QUOTE

F2 gets into the Bios.
Had to change the boot mode to Legacy before it will look at the DVD
In Linux I did try to remove the partitions but it protested & claimed they were glued in or something similar.
But I did successfully format all three of them, so was surprised when it wouldn't proceed with the install.
Haven't tried a USB drive yet as I haven't got one ready & I'm almost at my data cap for the month.
If you could advise on a method to copy the ISO from my DVD to USB, I will try that.

Driftwood
27-02-2018, 07:50 PM
Sounds like the Hdd is toast (apart from the recovery partition), or the cmos/bios is corrupted (flat battery?).

You're a little ray of sunshine.

wainuitech
27-02-2018, 08:55 PM
In Linux I did try to remove the partitions but it protested & claimed they were glued in or something similar.
But I did successfully format all three of them, so was surprised when it wouldn't proceed with the install.
Nothing un-natural or strange about those actions. Something is still there. ;) The actual boot/recovery partition doesn't have a drive letter, some software cant see it.

The Linux software more than likely didn't like the partitions (not uncommon). Had several times where gparted turned its nose up ( snobby bloody stuff) ;)

Just a suggestion -- Download and install AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard https://www.disk-partition.com/download-home.html

Click on the Local Button. Once installed open the program, on the left Make Bootable Media. ( several options on menu after doing that)

Boot from that, on the partitions, right click each partition - Delete Partition / Apply. Don't be at all surprised if you see the hidden partition(s) you didn't see before :) There shouldn't be any need to change from UEFI since the DVD should accept it and boot.

Once all partitions are gone and the drives completely blank, THEN boot from the DVD with Windows, because there's no other boot options it should pick up the DVD.

If it stops then you may have a bad install Disk or the optical drive has a problem.

wainuitech
27-02-2018, 09:10 PM
Adding to above, sometimes I have to remove a HDD, slave it to another PC then use the partition software Via Windows to remove the partitions from the slave drive. Put the Blank HDD back, and it boots fine from the DVD and installs.

DONT boot from the DVD if doing it that way, its a real "moment " @^**(%%#& If you delete the wrong drive by mistake ( been there-Done that) :D

"IF" it still wont install, there are other ways - Some Laptops can be a real PITA :(

Driftwood
27-02-2018, 09:15 PM
Ah, that would appear to be a windows program.
I can only boot the laptop in Linux.

Hard drive is not easily accessible in this model.

wainuitech
27-02-2018, 09:47 PM
Ah, that would appear to be a windows program.
I can only boot the laptop in Linux.

. You may be doing something wrong then. Change the BIOS back to Legacy, change the boot order to CD/DVD first, then it will boot the CD/DVD assuming there's nothing wrong with your media.

Done that countless times -- Changed to Legacy, boot from a CD, Wipe the drives completely clean, reset BIOS back to default (UEFI), boots from the Windows DVD perfectly fine -- Its designed to work on UEFI.

The Linux Media you're using obviously cant handle it, if as stated --

Also, Make sure the Windows is X64, some laptops dont like a 32 (X86) bit OS

Driftwood
28-02-2018, 08:44 AM
You may be doing something wrong then. Change the BIOS back to Legacy, change the boot order to CD/DVD first, then it will boot the CD/DVD assuming there's nothing wrong with your media.

Done that countless times -- Changed to Legacy, boot from a CD, Wipe the drives completely clean, reset BIOS back to default (UEFI), boots from the Windows DVD perfectly fine -- Its designed to work on UEFI.

The Linux Media you're using obviously cant handle it, if as stated --

Also, Make sure the Windows is X64, some laptops dont like a 32 (X86) bit OS

I assumed you meant change Bios back to UEFI & boot from DVD.
I just tried that & it now comes up with "Press any key to boot with CD/DVD"
But then come up with "Default Boot Device Missing or Boot Failed"
My win 10 x64 DVD could be faulty but it's worked fine several times before.
I also tried a win 10 x32 DVD & it comes up with "No Bootable Device"
Also does the same with Linux DVD.

dugimodo
28-02-2018, 08:57 AM
Use the online tool to get a new image https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/software-download/windows10
Even if it's not your issue it's worth using the latest version to avoid all the updates you'll otherwise need.
You can either make the media direct from the tool or download the iso and use it to burn a disk or create a flash drive (with a tool like Rufus)

Gparted has always worked for me, but I also prefer Aomei. Neither should be needed though, if you can boot from a windows install disk you can do a custom install and delete all the partitions from there.
Sorting out the boot issue seems like your main problem.

Driftwood
28-02-2018, 09:06 AM
Thanks Dugi
I'll try that but just about through my data cap, so don't want to download anything until tomorrow.

wainuitech
28-02-2018, 09:15 AM
The Windows 10 DVD will boot with UEFI Settings if the Drive is completely blank.

If it doesn't there can really only be two problems I can think of off the top of my head -1. Optical drive is faulty 2. A bad burn on the DVD.

Just installing one right now as I write this, Its a Dell XPS Laptop, removed the original Failing Faulty HDD, put in a New One, BIOS is set to default which is UEFI.

At first it was to quick and came up with No Operating system installed ( no kidding) ;) That was because when hitting the power had to open the DVD drive and drop in the DVD and close the draw again. Tried again, heard the DVD firing up, and away it went :)

"IF" any of the old boot partition is still on the HDD, it may very well over boot a DVD - Hence completely wiping ALL partitions.

Kame
28-02-2018, 09:59 AM
If there's no option to turn off secure boot in the bios, MS is being the (sounds like) banker in a game of monopoly. Custom bios maybe the only way or you need a signed uefi OS (ubuntu), maybe? You sometimes can still install with secure boot enabled but it's more a burden rather than a security feature. It also seemed the issue was only an MS related security flaw, so they took every opportunity to use it for their "security" interest.

I've only quickly glimpsed at this thread but are we dealing with 32bit or 64bit? (Should be 64bit). What Linux are you using since many 32bit linux don't provide a 32bit EFI and will only work in legacy booting. Debian seems to have the best multiple boot options/processor support, so it does provide a 32bit EFI but you really don't want 32bit EFI, if your processor is 64bit and the bios/efi is 64bit as well.

Once you have the right OS with proper support, you should have better luck. DVD or USB for Linux should make no difference, it normally has efi and mbr (legacy), but secure boot can affect EFI booting if its not signed, you may need to choose what to boot in some option menu presented during the bios loading or even inside the bios.

Booting never needed to be this complicated...

Driftwood
01-03-2018, 12:47 PM
Just getting back onto this.
Have downloaded the Windows 10 x64 ISO & have got this system up & running again.
Haven't as yet got the web cam to go.
No specific camera driver on the acer site

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/GB/content/support-product/6061?b=1

Currently has a MS driver & shows on device manager as working properly.
But doesn't show up in skype for testing.

Driftwood
01-03-2018, 01:48 PM
Case closed, all fixed.