PDA

View Full Version : I'm Just Fickle!

SurferJoe46
21-02-2018, 02:41 PM
Or maybe not..............................

I've been 'round the world with Linux (many), Debian (1), Gentoo (0) and Arch (2) distros and frankly I love a few of them really a lot.

In my travels, I've run the gauntlet with }

1. Ubuntu - (plain ol' Vanilla Ubuntu 14.x on up to 16.04)
2. PCLinux (I really like this a lot. May dual-boot it later on.)
3. Antheros (I amazed myself with the ease in which I did some installations of apps here.)
4. Ubuntu Studio 14.7 & 16.0LTS (love this - it's just 'quirky" to say the most about it. Not stable on any of my gear).
5. Lubuntu (yawn)
6. Puppy. (it all started here for me. Puppy is very shallow though - Bad Bad Puppy - won't stay online - if you can GET it online that is!)
7. Zorin 12.2 (great, solid, simply a very good distro although I had a bad time getting/keeping my RTL8812/AC to run on it)
8. Mepis (couldn't find an LTS flavor for it - bye-bye!)
9. Kubuntu (not my cuppa)
10. Cinnamon (I think I chose the wrong desktop environ on this - will revisit later)
11. Solis (kewl!)
12. KDE Neon (fresh and spunky - kinda too too much and over-the-top for my tastes)
13. LXLE (left me feeling empty - like it was. It needed a lot of tweaking)
14. Crunchbang++ (Debian-based - love it!)
15. Fedora (scared the poop outta me!)
16. Manjaro (THIS one is gonna be in another tower - you betchum!)

I found that ARCH or Debian or KDE or whatever - isn't really very scary. They work if one follows the distructions.

Right now, I'm loving MINT. Seems very solid - took to my RTL8812/AC immediately after some SLIGHT Terminal work.... but hey - it is running solidly right now.

My worst fear is to NOT get my USB WiFi adapter to work - and this colored my impressions from the start. IF it was a tooth pull to get it to run or even be recognized the next re-boot, then that was what I either loved or hated about any distro.

My wife hates me to string CAT5-e cable from the router in the center of the house - through the kitchen and dining room - into THE MUSIC/COMPUTER Room - well.... she bakes good cookies and I can't foul that up - can I?

I try to wean the 'puter OFF the CAT5-e cable as fast as I can - sometimes prematurely - but I don't like getting up at midnight to shove more wood into the stove and trip over a cable of my own installation. It's embarrassing.

Here's a few generalizations:

Almost ALL distros could/'did run with my Alpha WiFi dongle - but just a few chose to run my WSKY/AC USB adapter at all. Of course, all of them ran on my CAT5-e cable direct-to-the-router. Natch!

When you're using a 500G HDD, the installation times are just nuts-o. It takes forever to format or reassign partitions and I still don't know how to 'read' the addresses of the partitions as Linux calls 'em!

piroska
21-02-2018, 04:24 PM
When you're using a 500G HDD, the installation times are just nuts-o. It takes forever to format or reassign partitions a

Really? I have a TB drive, split in 2, didn't have this issue with my Mint install (and format)

SurferJoe46
22-02-2018, 03:54 AM
I noticed that formatting a 'big hdd' on a few different distros took a lot longer than others. That may have been after installing Ubuntu Studio....if that means anything.

B.M.
22-02-2018, 03:10 PM
Interesting Summery SJ.

I’m not in a position to comment on all those, but can say I have installed Mint on 4 different computers and whilst they are different versions, they all work fine.

Mine was the first with Mint 18.0 – cinnamon – sarah and can find no good reason to upgrade versions because what I have I’m very happy with.

What eludes me is how come none of the versions required me to find drivers for anything?

4 different Motherboards just worked.
4 different Printers Just worked.
4 different scanners Just worked.
4 different Blue-Tooth just worked.
4 different Webcams just worked

Shall I go on Video – Audio ................................ just worked.

So how the hell can these guys do all this and Microsoft not?

Honestly, imagine if Boeing produced an Aeroplane 2 years ago with all the problems of Win10, they’d never be business now. :rolleyes:

SurferJoe46
22-02-2018, 03:47 PM
Interesting Summery SJ.
<snippity - snip>

So how the hell can these guys do all this and Microsoft not?

Honestly, imagine if Boeing produced an Aeroplane 2 years ago with all the problems of Win10, they’d never be business now. :rolleyes:

The reason why M$ cannot get theirs to work as well as Linux is because .................................................

wait for it .................................................. .....................

................................it'll be here soon .................................................. .............................

.................................................. ................................. because you have to open and close windows all the time.............................................. .................<rimshot>

dugimodo
22-02-2018, 04:16 PM
I liked fedora, not scary at all. Also Ubuntu have gone back to Gnome so the latest version looks very similar to Fedora which also uses Gnome.

Hard to go past MINT for the average user though, being the most popular distro and being based on Ubuntu means there's a lot of support available and a lot of solutions already found for problems you might have.
Also they pre configure a lot of things that you might otherwise have a bit of trouble with - like an audio mixer and the ability to choose output devices.

If I have one gripe with all Ubuntu based distros I've tried it's the patchy support for some wi-fi devices, specifically my TP-link TL-WN822N V3.0 which does work by default but gets poor speed and often loses internet functionality or drops off completely requiring a re connection. I have found fixes for it but they are not simple and have broken support for other wi-fi devices in the process. Just to play devils advocate, in windows 10 it just works, full speed, stable, and it finds the drivers without my help

It's also worth playing with the other versions of MINT, I rather like the XFCE variant myself and it's a little lighter on resources. Also check the driver manager and see if there are any proprietary drivers listed, the Nvidia one in particular makes video and scrolling work much better than the default linux driver - this is not just MINT as Ubuntu supply the driver manager tool as well. I make no guarantees you won't break your system playing with drivers though.

B.M.
22-02-2018, 04:22 PM
The reason why M$ cannot get theirs to work as well as Linux is because .................................................

wait for it .................................................. .....................

................................it'll be here soon .................................................. .............................

.................................................. ................................. because you have to open and close windows all the time.............................................. .................<rimshot>

Of course, should have thought of that. :o

They’re Louvers, the mechanism is broken, and each window has to be adjusted by hand. :badpc:

SurferJoe46
22-02-2018, 06:30 PM
I have found a certain - shall I say: "flaw" in almost every version of Linux in that if you don't have a piece of hardware already installed - without the driver (natch) and then try to add it later on - the trouble is ya gotta write some code to get it all up-n-running.

Seems to me that the installer 'looks around' and sees if there's any particular piece of gear inside the tower and when it finally gets on the Internet, it is already looking for - and then installing - the correct driver(s) for it/them.

I kick myself in the head every time I forget to add that silly WiFi board-mounted card before I get a wild hair and drop a new distro into a hdd.

Same is true when I want to run dual Blaster! cards - put them BOTH into the tower BEFORE the distro is booted!

It makes it so - so-o-o much easier.

gary67
23-02-2018, 07:17 AM
For me Linux and windows both work pretty much the same except Linux needs you to learn some arcane language to lots of everyday stuff. I use mint and win10. Windows mostly is just so much easier

KarameaDave
23-02-2018, 07:59 AM
Well Joe, with Mint, I have successfully transferred an SSD installation from a Core i5 machine to an AMD one,
different Audio, Video, chipset and it never gave a hiccup.
Guess I'm just lucky eh?

SurferJoe46
23-02-2018, 12:47 PM
Dave - I think you are most fortunate person what with your ability to push me through the correct entryway - me kicking and screaming - and you just gently prodding me to do so.

I have you to thank for my (re)newed interest in Linux and this time I ain't going back to Billy.

Actually ----> I am the most fortunate person to have you for all the successes I've had so far.

piroska
23-02-2018, 05:51 PM
What eludes me is how come none of the versions required me to find drivers for anything?

4 different Motherboards just worked.
4 different Printers Just worked.
4 different scanners Just worked.
4 different Blue-Tooth just worked.
4 different Webcams just worked

Shall I go on Video – Audio ................................ just worked.

I have't had to install anything on sons Win10. drivers just worked.

My mint, well the HP printer worked fine.
The Epson, no...had to get a 3rd party thing to show ink levels, and also it will not allow 2 sided printing. Boomaga is a work around but still requires me to manually reinsert the paper.

Known issue, HP good, Canon, pretty good, the rest, you take your chances.

My brother has just emailed to say his USB wifi adapter isn't working with Mint, buggered if I know what to advise him.

As surferjoe says it usually just works but if it doesn't it is then a PITA.

Not that I have any intention of ever going back to MS.....PITA with the odd bit of hardware on Linux or not.

SurferJoe46
23-02-2018, 06:07 PM
I have't had to install anything on sons Win10. drivers just worked.

My mint, well the HP printer worked fine.
The Epson, no...had to get a 3rd party thing to show ink levels, and also it will not allow 2 sided printing. Boomaga is a work around but still requires me to manually reinsert the paper.

Known issue, HP good, Canon, pretty good, the rest, you take your chances.

My brother has just emailed to say his USB wifi adapter isn't working with Mint, buggered if I know what to advise him.

As surferjoe says it usually just works but if it doesn't it is then a PITA.

Not that I have any intention of ever going back to MS.....PITA with the odd bit of hardware on Linux or not.

Funny you should mention it ---- but my USB/WiFi RTL8812au is dead again.

I can just shove the ALPHA USB into any slot and it works --- instantly.

But my WSKY just dies of a heart attack when and wherever it choses!

I'm going all through this again.

Making sure that I have the required build packages---------------------

sudo apt-get install linux-headers-generic build-essential git

Download the updated source code

git clone https://github.com/scrivy/rtl8812AU_8821AU_linux.git

Compile the kernel module

cd rtl8812AU_8821AU_linux

make

Install it!

sudo make install

sudo modprobe 8812au

plug in your wifi adapter and enjoy! ---- just beware that you WILL GET an error answer after the 'modprobe'. Ignore it - or so I've found out anyway.