PDA

View Full Version : Optical Drive recognition problem

Tony
21-02-2018, 01:11 PM
2 PCs, both running Win 10. One pretty old, one not so much. Each has an optical drive.

The drive on the OLD machine is not recognised by that machine, but works fine on the newer PC. The drive on the NEWER machine works fine on both.

So both drives do work, and both machines will recognise one of the drives, but the other one - why does it only work on one of the machines?

22-02-2018, 07:48 AM
The drive on the OLD machine is not recognised by that machine

Is it detected in the bios ? Or Just win not showing it ?
SATA or IDE
Tried another SATA port ?

Could just be a buggy bios. Or a buggy drive .

Tony
22-02-2018, 08:09 AM
Is it detected in the bios ? Or Just win not showing it ?
SATA or IDE
Tried another SATA port ?

Could just be a buggy bios. Or a buggy drive .

It seems to be one of those intermittent things - don't you hate that? Yesterday evening it was being recognized by the BIOS and by Win10, then Win10 seemed to lose track of it. This morning the BIOS sees it but Win10 doesn't. I've tried other SATA ports and that seems to make no difference. I also tried another SATA cable and that made no difference either.
I can get another drive for about $30, but I don't want to do that just to find the same problem.

Tony
22-02-2018, 08:16 AM
I should also say that when I originally posted, the BIOS wasn't recognising it either.

22-02-2018, 10:13 AM
The drive on the NEWER machine works fine on both.

Put that drive into the old PC.
If you just want to use what you have allready .
Otherwise take a punt & replace it.
Or better yet buy a USB DVD drive, you could use that on anything .

"It seems to be one of those intermittent things"
so that drive could just be intermittently failing, giving all sorts of strange results in your testing.
I would bin it, since the other drive works in both.

DVD/CD drives are almost obsolete now anyway.

Tony
22-02-2018, 11:14 AM
I think I will replace it. As I said, it's only about $30. CD/DVD may be becoming obsolete, but I certainly still have a use for one.

Thanks for the help.