PDA

View Full Version : VLC Media Player 3.0.0 Will not play Videos

Neil F
19-02-2018, 08:51 PM
I have used Vlc successfully for many years and had set it as my Default DVD player.
I am Win 10 fall Creators Update -64 Bit.
Recently I took the upgrade from 2.2.8 to 3.0.0 64 bit.
It plays Audio fine but when I try to play a DVD I get an error message "VLC has stopped working"
I initially took the upgrade from File Hippo (as per usual). I have uninstalled and reinstalled it a few times.
Tonight after uninstalling it I downloaded it from CNet but get the same failure to operate and the same error message.

The Vlc help page is outdated and refers to version 2.2.6 and how to run that.
I can still play DVDs but have to use Win Media Player.

Has anyone else suffered this problem and (hopefully) found a fix.?

b) When I select "Open with Auto Play among the options is Light Alloy.

I uninstalled that ages ago and have checked via 10Bit uninstaller and looked through all program files using Windows Explorer and cannot see any reference to Light Alloy.
Whilst I can ignore it I prefer to e able to remove it from the Autoplay Open With panel of options.
Again guidance please how do I delete it.

dugimodo
19-02-2018, 10:20 PM
Firstly, always choose to download direct from the official website when you have the option. Services like File Hippo & especially CNet are a good way to get unwanted software on your PC.
For VLC get it here https://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-windows.html Try uninstalling and reinstalling again with that file and see if that helps.

You can get older versions here http://download.videolan.org/pub/videolan/vlc/2.2.6/win64/ if you want to try going back

Weirdly, I checked and mine was 2.2.6 and checking for updates said I had the latest version but I downloaded and installed 3.0 so clearly it wasn't. I tested 3.0 and it works fine for me, looks a little different though.
There's also another version in the windows store you can try, I don't like the look of that one myself though. Windows 10's "modern" apps haven't impressed me in general.

dugimodo
19-02-2018, 10:24 PM
For the Light Alloy issue, try a registry scan with Ccleaner (and if you install Ccleaner make sure to untick Avast or it will install too). It might remove the old broken links, of course play with the registry at your own risk and you should back it up when Ccleaner asks you.
I have used the Ccleaner tool a lot but there's always a chance it will kill your system when you alter the registry.

Neil McC
20-02-2018, 06:40 AM
Same problem here.Gone back but will try again from the supplied links.Thanks.

b....
20-02-2018, 08:15 PM
I had 2.2.6(32 bit). Didn't know that there was a new version out. Help-Check for updates said I had the latest version?

Downloaded and installed 3.0.0(64 bit) from videolan.org. It uninstalled the 32 bit version during the 64 bit installation.
Playing Mothership(Led Zeppelin) without any problems.

apsattv
21-02-2018, 04:48 AM
There is a known issue with 3.0 on Windows 10 just check windows event viewer you should see VLC3 causing a bunch of crashes. They say it will be fixed in V 3.01

wainuitech
21-02-2018, 07:58 AM
Just installed Version 3 last night on two W10 PC's, no problems what so ever.

There is a known issue with 3.0 on Windows 10 just check windows event viewer you should see VLC3 causing a bunch of crashes. They say it will be fixed in V 3.01 So they put something out that has known faults with a widely used OS, seems there is no or little testing before release - Thats not to bright ;)

Neil F
21-02-2018, 10:14 AM
Hi Dugimodo.
I forgot I had already (in one of my "desperate attempts") gone directly to the Video LAN site and downloaded and installed it.I uninstalled it totally this morning and used the link you showed to reinstall.. Same result -same error message "... stopped working Windows searching for a fix."
Sometimes a green screen with blue "Play" or "Select Scene" appears first but when I click on such lettering it directly goes to he error message. I guess I shall have to wait for 3.0.1 as apsattv mentions.

RE Light Alloy I used CCleaner (which I have used for years but previously relied on Glary Utilities re Registry) -no mention of Light alloy appeared and it still shows when I click on "Open Autoplay".

As Sachmo sang "What a wonderful World" but he was being positive.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Wainui it must be your local water -you were lucky.

Cheers all

apsattv
23-02-2018, 04:45 AM
you can look here to read some of the issues with v 3
https://forum.videolan.org/viewforum.php?f=14

also if you look in the nightlys there is a version 4 testing..

gary67
23-02-2018, 07:14 AM
Why not switch to media player classic. I ditched vlc years ago

dugimodo
23-02-2018, 08:39 AM
VLC is simpler in that it doesn't need any external codecs, and most of the time it just works. Development officially stopped on media player classic last July but it's still a very good player, I should test it with HEVC to see if it does better than VLC (see below)
Which you use is mostly preference. I've been using VLC as my main player for many years and have had no problems with it until very recently.

And now for a bit of a side track about VLC and the latest 4K codec.

I just discovered it doesn't do a very good job of HEVC 10 bit 4K files but as I don't have a 4K TV it's not really an issue for me, I'll just avoid that codec. You may not discover the issue depending on your hardware, if you have a recent graphics card to do the decoding it works fine. I tested the same file on several machines, gaming PC - no problems due to powerful GPU, i5 7400 - needed a graphics driver update then it does ok, i5 3470 - 100% CPU and unwatchable (but ok on Linux MINT @ 50% CPU), i3 5010U (NUC) almost manages after a graphics driver update - watchable if you were desperate, i5 2400S - same as i5 3470 - works in linux MINT default player but not VLC/Windows.

Incidentally Windows 10s new player (not media player the other one) supposedly does support these files by default, and it did work slightly better than VLC but not enough to be playable. DVD Fabs media player was better still but dropped back to software mode on the older i5s and couldn't maintain smooth playback

Terry Porritt
04-03-2018, 04:07 PM
I just found out that version 3 VLC will not play some avi files made some time ago with a freeby called Hypercam2, other avi files ok. Won't play newly avi made with Hypercam either, either 32 bit or 64 versions.

Re-installing version 2.2.4 Weatherfax restored playback ok.

Poppa John
04-03-2018, 06:09 PM
VLC is simpler in that it doesn't need any external codecs, and most of the time it just works. Development officially stopped on media player classic last July but it's still a very good player, I should test it with HEVC to see if it does better than VLC (see below)
Which you use is mostly preference. I've been using VLC as my main player for many years and have had no problems with it until very recently.

And now for a bit of a side track about VLC and the latest 4K codec.

I just discovered it doesn't do a very good job of HEVC 10 bit 4K files but as I don't have a 4K TV it's not really an issue for me, I'll just avoid that codec. You may not discover the issue depending on your hardware, if you have a recent graphics card to do the decoding it works fine. I tested the same file on several machines, gaming PC - no problems due to powerful GPU, i5 7400 - needed a graphics driver update then it does ok, i5 3470 - 100% CPU and unwatchable (but ok on Linux MINT @ 50% CPU), i3 5010U (NUC) almost manages after a graphics driver update - watchable if you were desperate, i5 2400S - same as i5 3470 - works in linux MINT default player but not VLC/Windows.

Incidentally Windows 10s new player (not media player the other one) supposedly does support these files by default, and it did work slightly better than VLC but not enough to be playable. DVD Fabs media player was better still but dropped back to software mode on the older i5s and couldn't maintain smooth playback

When you say,"Windows 10s new player (not media player, the other one), which one are you reffering to? PJ

dugimodo
04-03-2018, 07:23 PM
When you say,"Windows 10s new player (not media player, the other one), which one are you reffering to? PJ

It's just called Films and TV, one of the new modern style apps that comes with windows. I didn't name it before because I couldn't remember the name and was using a different machine.
If you don't change anything it's the default player.