PDA

View Full Version : Does Linux Have REPAIR On The Distro - Anywhere?

SurferJoe46
14-02-2018, 04:24 PM
I mucked up an installation - well after I got it running nice - in Atheros.

It now has a splash screen report that something bad happened. Something like a Kernal Panic and LFENCE not serializing, etc, etc. It won't move off that screen without a reboot.

Can I repair the distro by putting the original DVD into the drive and letting it have it's way?

Is there a REPAIR DISTRO option?

KarameaDave
14-02-2018, 05:24 PM
Do you mean Antergos?
Or are you talking about Atheros which is a company that makes wifi cards etc?
If it is Antergos, you are out of luck here, no-one has ever said they use it except you
time to head to their forums perhaps?
https://forum.antergos.com/

SurferJoe46
14-02-2018, 06:45 PM
Do you mean Antergos?
Or are you talking about Atheros which is a company that makes wifi cards etc?
If it is Antergos, you are out of luck here, no-one has ever said they use it except you
time to head to their forums perhaps?
https://forum.antergos.com/

It's a shame that there isn't a little love for Antergos - it sure looks slick - and while it was working, is was a lot faster and didn't feel as 'heavy' as U/Studio or even plain ol' Ubuntu.

I've been cruising the interweb for a while this evening looking for an answer. It gets a little muddy.

I'm not fantastic on the TERMINAL - but I have C/Pd a few things into it before and I don't fear it too much any more, especially if there is line code available to copy, that is!

__________________________________________________ _____________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After booting into ANY Linux LIVE CD/DVD, do the following:

mkdir /mnt/arch
mount /dev/AntergosVG/AntergosRoot /mnt/arch
mount /dev/sda2 /mnt/arch/boot

# If you have EFIconfigured, you need this step:
mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/arch/boot/efi/

mount -t proc proc /mnt/arch/proc/
mount -t sysfs sys /mnt/arch/sys/
mount -o bind /dev /mnt/arch/dev/
cp /etc/resolv.conf /mnt/arch/etc/resolv.conf
chroot /mnt/arch/

# Now you have a root access on your broken system. Let's fix it:

# Reinstall linux kernel and rebuild all the modules
pacman --sync linux

# Fix boot loader:

# If you have EFI configured:
grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot/efi --bootloader-id=grub

grub-install --recheck /dev/sda

# Upgrade system and AUR packages to the latest version
yaourt -Sybu --aur

I'm not sure what's commands, what's comments and what all that other stuff is. I believe the RED stuff is C/P'd into a Terminal - right?

__________________________________________________ _____________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Like: WHAT is "EFI" and how do I know if I have it?

And this: "Boot into ANY LIVE Linux CD/DVD" - how's that so if Antergos is so forbidden to everyone else in the world on a Linux platform? I thought this was a total orphan to Linux users. If there is blood betwixt Antergos and Ubuntu, it should be pretty easy to use by parties here on Linux-stuff. Am I not right?

I mean - there're persons here on Redhat and other extreme versions of L that are truly dedicated to singular tasks, and as such are extremely line-code oriented and not very user-friendly, especially coming from a Window$ background.

fred_fish
14-02-2018, 07:11 PM
Antergos is based on Arch linux, so is much more focused on 'light and efficient' than Ubuntu, so likely not so much into gui tools and with a target audience that is assumed to be more comfortable on the CLI.

The procedure above (yes, the red stuff is the commands, the "# ..." stuff is the comments), simply gets you to a root prompt in the unbootable system, then re-installs the bootloader (which doesn't sound like your issue, BTW), then makes sure the system is fully up to date.

If you are getting the "gnome sad face" (about as useless as most windows error messages) instead of a login screen, that is most usually video subsystem related.

I have not much clue how they do things, so as Dave says, the Antergos forum is probably your best bet, but I would imagine you would get help best there if you stick to the technical and avoid 'euphimisms'.

SurferJoe46
14-02-2018, 08:34 PM
Point heard and taken.

Thanks FF for the info.

I'll print this out from my Android and then it's me and Antergos and and a Terminal. I just don't want to totally kill it, that's all.

KarameaDave
14-02-2018, 08:52 PM
Does it boot to a desktop at all or does it just stick at the lfence not serializing issue?
One site I've seen tonight suggests this issue may be related to recent Meltdown/Spectre patches.
https://techiegeek123.blogspot.co.nz/2018/01/as-for-spectremeltdown-kernel-patches.html
Perhaps if it does boot to desktop you could try updating it fully, it may replace the faulty patch.

And that kangaroo joke was well and truly inaccurate, there are no fields in the outback and the only crops you'll find are termites and deadly snakes 'n' spiders. :p

SurferJoe46
14-02-2018, 08:59 PM
I was just coming here to F1 to tell you I found the same thing!

I'm getting better.........

It gets stuck where you said and won't go to the full load-up and make the desktop. It just sits there and goes nowhere.

KarameaDave
14-02-2018, 09:03 PM
I don't use it, does it give you advanced options in GRUB?
You could try an earlier Kernel, or recovery mode if it has it.
Otherwise a re-install may be needed.

SurferJoe46
14-02-2018, 09:18 PM
I think the recovery mode #2 was my problem. I had it running good and put Pithos in it and accidentally added some options before I rebooted, screwing up Pithos,

So I tried to delete Pithos since it was broken anyway.

Did you know that removing just an app can screw up the whole distro? I do now.

I'll try to eradicate Antergos if I can accomplish that without mucking with Ubuntu Studio too. Otherwise I'll be burning them both down with a Win98 format and start all the 19,603 updates for Studio all over again ............ after the three hour install.

I might be exaggerating just a tad there.........