PDA

View Full Version : Windows Reset - yay or nay?

allblack
14-02-2018, 11:46 AM
Just read this on Stuff:

RESET WINDOWS

One of the quickest and simplest ways of doing this is to do a reset which in effect a fresh Windows install. It isn't difficult to do, but as it wipes third-party apps and settings, it's really only an option for when other tweaks are not working. Also, backing up data is a must. To do a reset, navigate to Settings and Select Update & Security, clicking Recovery in the left-hand pane. Choose Reset this PC and click Get started under Reset this PC.

Is this feasible? If data is backed-up and apps and settings sorted, is a Windows Reset a good way to 'refresh' your PC?

If so, is it numpty-proof?

14-02-2018, 12:53 PM
Its an option. just another option.
Yes data is kept, you are given that option .
If you have data that isnt in mydocs, mypics etc then you may loose that data (eg database files etc, non MS email )

BUT backup data first. Dont rely on it to keep your data safe.

Honestly , may as well just backup, wipe & reload .

wratterus
14-02-2018, 12:54 PM
Honestly , may as well just backup, wipe & reload .

+1. You'd have to reinstall all your software anyway.

dugimodo
14-02-2018, 01:17 PM
Recently I got 2 PCs ready for sale, one I did a reset on and the other I just started again with a fresh install. The fresh install finished first, and using the latest image from the media creation tool needed no updates.
The refresh was a couple of months old since I last used it, it took hours to finish updating and farting around.

But if you don't want to download the latest image and reinstall from scratch then the reset is fairly easy - and it's mostly automatic and needs less input from you so you can just leave it to do it's thing for much of the process.

If you do decide to reinstall it's definitely worth getting the most recent image, my original install drive is getting quite old now and needs a lot of updating if I start from that.

allblack
14-02-2018, 02:22 PM
the reset is fairly easy - and it's mostly automatic and needs less input from you so you can just leave it to do it's thing for much of the process

Exactly what I was getting at - push a couple of buttons and Windows/lappie resets itself with no input from me and at the end of it I have a refreshed system.

Image? See, on one hand you make life easy, and then you taketh it away with words lol

dugimodo
14-02-2018, 03:49 PM
By latest image I just mean an up to date windows install disc or flash drive, not an old one. If you google "media creation tool" and go to the MS website result (should be the first one) you can use their tool to either create a bootable disc or flash drive or download an iso image that can be used to create either one yourself, all of which I believe fall under the heading of downloading for installation on another pc later or somehting like that.

14-02-2018, 03:55 PM
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO

piroska
15-02-2018, 06:39 PM
No such thing as a "reset".
Thats a reinstall.

There are times when a reinstall is a good idea, but not just for the hell of it.
It's fairly major.

pcuser42
15-02-2018, 07:37 PM
No such thing as a "reset".

In Windows 10 there is.

wainuitech
15-02-2018, 07:37 PM
Personally NAY !!!

Why ?? Simple, reset sound s all good BUT like any operation it can and does fail. What can happen is it gets part way through, something goes wrong and you are left with an unbootable System. Cant go forward or backward.

Google "Windows 10 reset failure" and you'll get plenty of hits.

What I personally would advise, is save any of your data you want. Wipe the drive clean, reinstall Windows from fresh, put in any updates and programs you may want.
Once its done, make an image of the drive - store it some place safe on another Hard Drive (generally USB).

Then in the future if you ever need to "put it back" you can drop the image back, and you are right where you were before. I use active@disk image, can reload a complete OS and programs ( as described above) in 5-15 Minutes.

A reset can take HOURS.

EDITED:

In Windows 10 there is.
As piroska posted, its a reinstall under a different name. :)

16-02-2018, 08:57 AM
Nothing to loose by trying a reset.
If it doesnt work, no big deal , its a 'reinstall' of win either way :)

reset Pros
It keeps your MyDocs, myphotos etc & puts them back
It keeps your other misc folders with your crap
dont need to make a bootable USB or burn a Win DVD
it gives you a list of removed software
it leaves the drivers/swsetup dir

reset cons
slow
can be a pain to get to on flaky Win that wont load : ie the recovery/repair menus
doesnt tidy up Laptop partitioning: ie left with the same non standard manufacturer partitions: 6 partions : just why

allblack
16-02-2018, 01:02 PM
Ok thanks guys.

See, my logic is if MS are offering this functionality as part of Windows then they have to aim the process at the lowest common denominator, right?

So, it follows that no only will it be self-regulating, but it will work painlessly and achieve a purpose.

Buuuuuut, I might leave it alone lol

mzee
01-03-2018, 09:40 PM
The simplest way is to make images of the drive on a regular basis. This way in the event of OS trouble all you have to do is restore the whole thing in 20 minutes, or less. If you sync your data to Google Drive, One Drive, or Drop box you will not lose any data. When you first install an OS, and have installed all the drivers & activation, you should make an image before software is installed. Keep this image so that you can reset it if you want to sell the computer

CliveM
02-03-2018, 07:03 AM
The simplest way is to make images of the drive on a regular basis. This way in the event of OS trouble all you have to do is restore the whole thing in 20 minutes, or less. If you sync your data to Google Drive, One Drive, or Drop box you will not lose any data. When you first install an OS, and have installed all the drivers & activation, you should make an image before software is installed. Keep this image so that you can reset it if you want to sell the computer

I follow exactly this routine and have done for many years. I might add that I have not needed to restore an image for a long time.