PDA

View Full Version : Moving Win10 to SSD

jcr1
13-02-2018, 01:00 PM
I've been considering giving my Win10 machine, a makeover and as a start I used "active@" to clone the windows install to my linux server (samba). This worked faultlessly - thanks to those who replied to my earlier post on the subject.
I did consider just doing a clean install of win10; but, I got a pretty good PBtech gift voucher for Christmas and it's burning a hole in my pocket:eek:
I saw this, this morning https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/HDDCRU30600/Crucial-MX500-1TB-25-inch-SSD-7mm--95mm-adaptor--5 and I want to use it as my windows drive - it'd do the job nicely, I think:confused: As the existing drive (2tb)could be used as somewhere to hold files etc. not immediately being used.
My plan is to install ssd and do a clean install of win10 onto it and then of course, make it the boot drive(c:), then just bring across files and software as I need it, bearing in mind I have double security of the Active@ cloned image sitting on my samba server.
Does this sound feasible? I might even get some more ram?

dugimodo
13-02-2018, 03:29 PM
Perfectly good plan, just be sure to disconnect all your other drives when you do the clean install. Windows installer has a bad habit of hiding files and partitions on other drives if they are connected when you install it. A very annoying habit than can cause problems later on.

I paid for active@ and used it for a while, but I found the older version I was using was not good at cloning to a different sized drive or restoring an image to a different sized drive. All the data copies ok but I had to jump through hoops to make it boot. Hopefully the current version is better at that. I really like the Aomei partition assistant migrate OS to SSD wizard myself, I've had great results with it moving OS from one drive to another. Only thing is the free version won't deal with GPT partitions and windows 10 uses them by default.

jcr1
14-02-2018, 08:45 AM
Thanks dugimodo. I've installed the ssd and another 8gb of ram - now16gb. Seems faster.
Could you, or anyone else on this forum please tell me what the best way to get a new clean install of win10 on the ssd. I created a win10 install flash drive (from microsoft's website), but that doesn't appear to work. I did read that the disk that is wanted for the install should be connected to the first sata plug on the motherboard? Also of course, boot order should be set in bios. I have thought about just cloning to the ssd from the existing disk; but as the data on that disk is a bit greater than the capacity of the ssd - then that one I'll have to think about. If that could be done, then I'd just do a clean install then move across what I need from the HDD, or from my cloned image on my samba server.

14-02-2018, 09:05 AM
Clean install
You could try the refresh/reset option in Win10 . Its the next best thing to a clean install, if getting the install working is causing some grief

dugimodo
14-02-2018, 09:07 AM
The flash drive should work, but it may not be showing up in the BIOS as you expect. For example one one of my machines the boot order has to be set to hard drive first, then there's a separate setting for hard drive priority and the USB flash drive is on that list as a USB hard drive. They can be formatted to emulate a floppy or CD ROM or HDD so setting the BIOS to boot from USB first does not always work.

Many modern machines have a key you can push to select a boot menu rather than going into the BIOS, that's the easiest way if it's an option. I have also chosen the ISO image option from media creator and then used Rufus to create a flash drive from that, just because it saves downloading again if I wipe the flash drive.

Edit: another comment, have the flash drive connected before you go into the BIOS to set the boot order.

14-02-2018, 09:07 AM
Clean install
USB boot can be a pain in the Ass sometimes. Do the PC have a DVD drive , or do you have a USB DVD drive ?

jcr1
14-02-2018, 10:30 AM
Clean install
USB boot can be a pain in the Ass sometimes. Do the PC have a DVD drive , or do you have a USB DVD drive ?

Yes, it sure can. I've found sometimes it works, sometimes not. I might just burn the iso to a disk and see how I go from there.

jcr1
14-02-2018, 04:10 PM
Well, I've finally got win10 installed on that ssd. I initially burnt the win iso to a disk. Didn't work - same as usb drive. But then I remembered, I had a win10 disk that I burnt a few months ago - for something - can't remember now. So anyway I used that, and hey! it worked:clap
At the moment it's upgrading to latest and greatest.
But now, big question; is there a way I can reconnect the original hardrive and not have it mess with my new install? It'd be good if it would just sit there benignly as somewhere I could grab files etc. from when I need them.
I experimented with my disk image on the samba server, and active@ is bringing back my raw images from March 2016. But that's going to take 1.5 hours.
Maybe somehow turn the original hdd into a logical drive and assign a different drive letter?

jcr1
14-02-2018, 04:22 PM
I just did ipconfig and the ip address is the same as the previous install.

14-02-2018, 04:36 PM
But now, big question; is there a way I can reconnect the original hardrive and not have it mess with my new install? It'd be good if it would just sit there benignly as somewhere I could grab files etc. from when I need them.

Just connect it as a 2nd HD . Make sure bios is set to boot from SSD
Could allways del windows dir on the old HD , and move doc etc out of old user folder into something like "old docs"

jcr1
16-02-2018, 10:16 AM
So far so good. The new install is going well. The old harddrive now calls itself F: and the new ssd has reassigned itself as C:. I moved all my Thunderbird stuff across, and that works. Also my accounting software - and that's all good.
Next....to reinstall Photoshop and Lightroom:waughh:
Thanks for your advice, Dugimodo and 1101:)