PDA

View Full Version : Removable Hard Disk Drive recognition issue

Neil F
10-02-2018, 03:52 PM
For many years I had a removable (325gb approx.) Western Digital (WD) Drive - with a separate mains power cord. I still have it and it works fine.
Some years ago I bought a 1Tb Seagate removable drive (no mains power cord) which uses a USB cable for connecting to Laptop.
Regularly it does not show up as connected when I plug it in. The blue light on it flashes. Sometimes I get a "USB not recognised " message.
I end up fiddling around ,plugging into another USB port reconnecting the cable etc. several times.
Very frustrating.
Occasionally it gets instant recognition like my WD drive or USB sticks.

Does anyone have ideas of how I can overcome this problem?
I am Win 10 64 bit Fall Creators Update version.

Thanks
Neil

dugimodo
10-02-2018, 04:09 PM
Is it USB 2 or 3 and what about the port? Some external drives need more power than a USB 2 port can supply, they used to come with cables that would plug into 2 ports to get over this but since usb 3 they don't usually bother as it can supply more power than USB 2.
Not sure if that's the issue, but it's a possibility.

I don't know about this supplier but this is the kind of cable I meant https://www.nzgameshop.com/usb-cables/1-ft-usb-y-cable-for-external-hard-drive-dual-usb-a-to-micro-b?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=google+shopping+data+feed+(09/02/2018-07:46)&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIg_G_ma-a2QIVi4K9Ch0DRgE-EAQYAyABEgKiIvD_BwE

Paul.Cov
11-02-2018, 08:54 PM
Yeah, agree with Dugimodo, it might be a slight lack of juice via the USB port causing the trouble. Try plugging it into a mains powered Desktop and see if it behaves any better, and whenever trying it on the laptop, ensure the laptop is plugged into the mains and charging at the same time.
Rear USB ports are more reliable than front ports as well, as they generally connect straight to the MOBO, rather than via a cable.

12-02-2018, 09:26 AM
Does anyone have ideas of how I can overcome this problem?

Yes , replace it .
Backup drives need to be 100% RELIABLE . Your old one works, this one is intermittent

otherwise..
USB3 connectors on the HD can be a bit fragile . That small connector may be bad .
Our new USB HD is the same, a small knock and that connecter is now intermittent

Also, too long a USB cable and the HD cant get enough power. Allways use the USB cable that came with the HD