PDA

View Full Version : Linux (Mint) swap files with Solid State drives

mzee
10-02-2018, 12:12 PM
As I understand it, continual swapping of data on a solid state drive shortens its life. If this is the case, why does Linux (Ubuntu, Mint) have a swap partition? I have 4GB of RAM which should be adequate for Mint. The same computer runs Windows 10pro with the swap file disabled. A swap partition is a waste of space.

What will happen if I delete the swap partition, an extend the 'NTFS' (W10) partition into it gaining 3GB?

piroska
10-02-2018, 01:36 PM
Windows has a swap file too...and uses the thing.

Linux can have a partition or a file. It's your choice.

And mine (file) is never used, I have checked. I have 16gb ram. Which is huge for Linux.....thats why.

fred_fish
10-02-2018, 01:37 PM
What will happen if I delete the swap partition, an extend the 'NTFS' (W10) partition into it gaining 3GB?
Nothing.
It will work fine without swap (unless of course you run out of free memory).
You can also make a swapfile on a regular partition if you want, and turn it on/off as required.

dugimodo
10-02-2018, 01:38 PM
There's a swappiness setting that I understand tends to be a bit too aggressive and can be safely turned down.
As to the shortening of the SSD's life, sure might reduce it down to 15-20 years instead of 20+ The whole SSD lifespan thing is not an issue for most real world use, swap files or not.

Here's some tips for Linux and SSDs, including the swappiness setting https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/ssd
Leave the swap file alone and change the setting IMHO.