PDA

View Full Version : i5 New Build

lostsoul62
10-02-2018, 06:31 AM
I think my best buy for the buck is the i5 - 8400 but I have no idea on what motherboard to get?

lostsoul62
10-02-2018, 06:47 AM
I don't know how to edit or if you can and if you can would someone tell me how?
I think my best buy for the buck is the i5 - 8400 but I have no idea on what motherboard to get?
The RAM people say you just have to have 16 GB of RAM, However I think that is just an ego and money maker. I have a i5 4690 and I haven't even come close to 8 GB. So getting 16 GB of RAM on a new build is a waste of money?

Speedy Gonzales
10-02-2018, 07:13 AM
Any Coffee Lake motherboard. Depends what you're going to use it for. Altho more ram may help

piroska
10-02-2018, 08:31 AM
[QUOTE=lostsoul62;1272864
The RAM people say you just have to have 16 GB of RAM, However I think that is just an ego and money maker.[/QUOTE]
Depends whether it is for gaming or not....

And price. When it's cheap, why not?

As fpr motherboard, Asus or Gigabuyte, one that fits the CPU, and has what ever slots you need: PCI-E, 4 x ram (or maybe 2 x ram will do you).
Thats all you need to look at really, the rest is bling.

dugimodo
10-02-2018, 10:04 AM
If bang for buck is your goal you may want to hold off a little. So far only Z370 chipset boards are available which are aimed at gamers and overclockers, more budget friendly chipsets such as B360 & H370 are due this quarter and will be good enough for most people.
The difference is just no overclocking support and slightly reduced feature sets, not something that really affects most of us. For my next gaming rig later this year I'm planning on an i7 8700 and H270 combo so far.

RAM requirements are down to what you use it for so we can't answer that without more information. For gaming recent tests have confirmed 4GB is not enough, 8GB is adequate, and 16GB is Ideal. Only some games benefit from more than 8GB, but the ones that do benefit quite a lot. Any more than 16GB is overkill for most people, but if prices come down before I build my next rig I'll consider it. I find a few years after you build a machine you sometimes wish it had more RAM but at that point it can be hard to source and expensive if it's not still current.

Otherwise like piroska said, pick an Asus or Gigabyte board you like the look of. Asrock and MSI are ok too, but don't have quite the same reputation for reliability.

Driftwood
10-02-2018, 12:19 PM
If bang for buck is your goal you may want to hold off a little. So far only Z370 chipset boards are available which are aimed at gamers and overclockers, more budget friendly chipsets such as B360 & H370 are due this quarter and will be good enough for most people.
The difference is just no overclocking support and slightly reduced feature sets, not something that really affects most of us. For my next gaming rig later this year I'm planning on an i7 8700 and H270 combo so far.

RAM requirements are down to what you use it for so we can't answer that without more information. For gaming recent tests have confirmed 4GB is not enough, 8GB is adequate, and 16GB is Ideal. Only some games benefit from more than 8GB, but the ones that do benefit quite a lot. Any more than 16GB is overkill for most people, but if prices come down before I build my next rig I'll consider it. I find a few years after you build a machine you sometimes wish it had more RAM but at that point it can be hard to source and expensive if it's not still current.

Otherwise like piroska said, pick an Asus or Gigabyte board you like the look of. Asrock and MSI are ok too, but don't have quite the same reputation for reliability.

Dugi what mobo will you use for your new system?

gary67
10-02-2018, 01:28 PM
Enough SATA ports for your needs. 4 Isn't enough for me

dugimodo
10-02-2018, 01:30 PM
Dugi what mobo will you use for your new system?

Depends what's available and how extravagant I'm feeling. I am quite impressed with the Gigabyte H270N-WiFi that I currently have on my secondary machine and might look for an H370 equivalent when they become available. Who knows the next Ryzen release might tempt me over.

It's my plan to build a machine when my current one reaches 3 years old in August, but also on my mind is the fact my current build as per my signature has yet to struggle to play anything.
Still this year should see the release of a new generation of hardware and I'm itching to build something.