PDA

View Full Version : win 10 update error message

petemit
09-02-2018, 12:02 AM
Hi I own a acer Aspire E15. bought in Feb 2016. It had windows 10 preloaded on it.

Windows has been trying to install an w10 update since august it always loads to 53% then just sits there.
The error code is 0xc1900107 a very common error code according to the thousands of entries on the Microsoft windows 10 site.
Ive tried renaming the file that it downloads too,Ive manually updated every driver I can find on the computer but still it only installs to 53% even if i leave it on doing its thing for up to 8 hrs.
We have very fast internet and the software is downloading but just not installing
Have tried turning off avast antivirus and unplugged everything that is plugged into the comp.

Comp specs I5 5200U core, 8 gb DDR3 L memory 1tb hard drive

Does anyone have any ideas how I get the download to install properly
Thanks in advance
Peter

Bryan
09-02-2018, 07:14 AM
Can you tell us what the update number is? ie KBXXXXXX

09-02-2018, 09:12 AM
Have tried turning off avast antivirus and unplugged everything that is plugged into the comp.

Is it JUST that 1 update thats failing & all the other updates are installing OK ?
Some updates just dont work on some machines .

otherwise
UNINSTALL Avast . Then try again. You can re-install it later (I wouldnt)
I wouldnt bother with Avast, its not the program it used to be some years back. Its bloatware & scareware
Avast bogus addons made a mess of a PC Im looking at : slows it down to a crawl .

Also , what build ver is your Win10 . ( ver or winver )

It may be trying & failing to install 1709 ? .

petemit
09-02-2018, 03:20 PM
Hi thanks for your reply
My current version is v 1511 x64 os build 10586.1176
Im updating to win 10 1709

Hope this helps

What antivirus would you recommend to replace avast

09-02-2018, 03:35 PM
My current version is v 1511 x64 os build 10586.1176
Im updating to win 10 1709

download 1709 from here, burn to DVD & upgrade off the DVD, from within windows
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO

the free AV's are all getting worse now (bloated). Most wont scan email

Just use Win's build in AV .
Or Avira , Bitdefender free ?
Or pay for NOD32

petemit
09-02-2018, 04:23 PM
Thanks will try that re update and let you know how it goes

Is it easy to upload off DVD

Sorry put you wrong re antivirus as Im running Eset nod32 paid version

petemit
09-02-2018, 05:39 PM
Hi 1101 I have been into the site but not sure exactly what I need to download and save to dvd
Can i use a flash drive instead of a dvd

Bryan
09-02-2018, 07:24 PM
Yes you can use a flash drive. You need 8g to be safe. Also you need to download either 32bit or 64 bit. (you could download a combination of both if you needed to). I found the flash drive much simpler to use.

Look for "media creation tool". You won't have a problem with ESET.

petemit
10-02-2018, 05:46 PM
Hi I have down loaded to flash drive but not sure what I do next as if I run set up it starts to check for updates and download files is it supposed to do that?
Still doesnt seem to load properly
I must be doing someting wrong
files that were down loaded were (i cant find any iso files anywhere)
bootmgr.efi
setup
boot mgr
autorun
folders with files in them
suport folder
sources folder
efi folder
boot folder

Cheers
Peter

wainuitech
10-02-2018, 06:15 PM
The files you mentioned are the install files, BUT you normally wouldn't download like you described.

When you download the Media Creation tool and run it you have 2 options, install or 3 other options, to either make an ISO, make a bootable DVD or USB drive. You need purpose software to create a bootable USB or DVD from an ISO. (but can use the inbuilt software & right click the ISO and select burn --Normally to a DVD) You cant simply burn it like standard Data.

On the site linked by 1101, there is also the top option to update Now, that will download a small file, when it runs (automatically) it will tell you there are updates, and gives the option to update. Every thing else is automatic with only the odd time you need to click yes, agree etc.

You can get the ISO's directly - https://tb.rg-adguard.net/public.php With the drop down boxes as such ( last one select what you have either X32 or X64

The use of a DVD or USB is it runs from the current install, and then upgrades, sometimes if things are not quite right the "update Now" option doesn't work, hence the need for the DVD/USB.

BUT if there are already problems with an Antivirus causing problems that has to be uninstalled first other wise expect it to fail as well. Depending on many reasons, the upgrade can take anywhere from 1 - 5+hours, and wont fix current pre-existing problems if you have them, once it starts NEVER stop it.

petemit
10-02-2018, 06:40 PM
Thanks for that will try again and see what I can do I think its nearly time to take it to a techie as its been trying to update since august always gets to 53% then just goes on for ever I have left it going when I left for work and it was still there when I came home 9 hrs later
Cheers and thanks
Peter

wainuitech
10-02-2018, 08:27 PM
You may also find the Software distribution Folder is corrupted (this is where windows downloads the updates, extracts them, then installs) Deleting it sometimes fixes an update problem. But not always - it may not be actually causing the problem. Theres several things you can try, depending on how much you want to try from PF1 :)

petemit
11-02-2018, 12:13 PM
Oka i renamed the $window~BT folder
disabled Eset antivirus
removed all ad on,s like screen, wireless mouse etc
used the media creation tool to update
It downloaded the update the started to load it ,got to 52% as always when I went to bed at 10 pm it was still on 52% so I left it till 10am this morning when it was still at 52%
So im a bit stumped as I dont have the knowledge to start altering to much else unless I can get it to roll back to where we started as it does when the update doesnt work
Would trying it in safe mode work any better
Cheers
peter

wainuitech
11-02-2018, 02:01 PM
No- No- Remove or rename the Software distribution Folder its on C Drive Windows\Softwaredistribution

To do anything with that folder you have to stop the windows update service by command prompt, OR starting the PC in safe mode.

The easiest way -- From the Search, type in CMD -- Right click the result, Run as Administrator - once open type in

net stop wuauserv <press Enter> you'll get this:

If you get a message saying Windows update is not started, then that will be part of the problems. When updates are stopped, rename or delete the Software distribution Folder, you can rename it to something like Softwaredistributionold.

Note: The only real disadvantage of changing that folder is any previous updates cant be un-installed - But you're not wanting to any way :)

You can then restart the service by either rebooting the computer, or Via command prompt, and the folder will be recreated.

net Start wuauserv

Then either try the upgrade again, or try manually running windows updates.

"IF" its still not playing nice, while there are other things you can try, may take a while back and forth here, or take it to a tech.

Eliza23
15-02-2018, 02:37 AM
It is an update issue of windows 10
Please follow below procedure:>

Manually reset Windows Update components
If a problem with your computerís Windows Update components is the reason why you cannot install the anniversary update and run into error code 0xc1900107 every time you try to install it, there is a pretty decent chance youíll be able to resolve the issue if you manually reset your computerís Windows Update components. In order to do so, you need to:

Right-click on the Start Menu button to open the WinX Menu or Click Start and Type cmd, right click cmd and choose Run As Administrator.
Click on Command Prompt (Admin) in the WinX Menu to launch an elevated Command Prompt.
One by one, type the following commands into the elevated Command Prompt, pressing Enter after typing in each one and waiting for one command to be successfully executed before typing in the next one:
net stop bits
net stop wuauserv
net stop appidsvc
net stop cryptsvc
ren %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.bak
ren %systemroot%\system32\catroot2 catroot2.bak
net start bits
net start wuauserv
net start appidsvc
net start cryptsvc

Close the elevated Command Prompt.
Restart your computer.
When the computer boots up, try installing the anniversary update and see whether or not it installs successfully.