PDA

View Full Version : memory problem

13-01-2002, 01:34 PM
A big thanks to all that help
can any 1 tell me or point me in the right direction as to what part of windows or dos that controls the refresh part of the memory
apart from shutting down and rebooting which does not always work
every time i use the computer a litle of memory is used up it take all my ram and uses up all virtual memory till i run out of memory i have 726 mb of hdd and 256 mb ram heres what happens
if i play a video
it takes memory i play another clip it takes more and tis repetes till all ram has been used up and then it starts on hdd till out of mem ory so what i am asking what dumps the clips that i have already seen why has that memory not been given back to virtual memory
if you need to no more look in out of memory also me which is the same problem thanks

13-01-2002, 03:57 PM
Some punctuation would make this message a LOT easier to read.

If you've only got 726mb free HDD space then this may cause you problems - clear some unneeded stuff off your hard disk and then try again.

13-01-2002, 04:36 PM
... here is a useful primmer on 'Memory' Management:

http://www.aumha.org/a/memmgmt.htm

... and a simple 'Memory' v 'Resources' FAQ:

http://www.aumha.org/a/resource.htm

Cheers!!!

e_

13-01-2002, 07:05 PM
I'm inclined to think you have a program that has been very poorly written and is requesting memory allocation for its various processes and not releasing that memory back to Windows. At least that's what it sounds like.

Re-post with the name of the program that you have been using for video clips plus any other utility type programs you have running on the PC, like CrashGuard, First Aid, Nortons etc as sometimes these programs behave badly themselves in the presence of badly written software.

14-01-2002, 10:59 AM
it doesnt matter what program i use they all act in the same way. just programes that use biger memory run me out of memory quiker
even if i use the mouse

14-01-2002, 11:07 AM
first off if i wont an english lesson i would ask
secnd 726 mb ithough was a lot of memory to start with some computers have a lot less than that to start with
is that all u no
thanks