PDA

View Full Version : Which power board?

muffin
02-02-2018, 02:46 PM
Good afternoon experts,

My electricity knowledge is zero so I am hoping the experts can help me choose the best power board out of these two:

https://www.catch.com.au/product/polaroid-international-travel-power-board-black-412280/#review-section
https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/SURORC1002/Orico-3-Way-Outlet-Surge-Protector-Power-Board-Bui

Hopefully the links work...

What I would like to know is whether they are both as "fast" as each other? The Orico specs say "USB Power5V4A 20W" whereas the Polaroid one has "Max. current: 3A". Does this mean the latter is slower at charging??

I have one of these https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/SURLAS1006/Laser-PW-USB101-black-10-USB-Port-Charging-Station and it takes longer to charge my Samsung 8" tablet using the charging station's 12 watt 2.4A socket than it does plugging directly into a wall plug even if the tablet is the only thing charging. Like I said, I know nothing of electricity so I don't know if that is how it should be and that the boards I am looking at will be the same.

Thanks for any advice. :)

02-02-2018, 03:24 PM
What are you wanting
just a better USB charger , an international power board, a power board with USB charge ports

I would allow for some BS factor in the specs :-)

How old is the Tablet, maybee the batt is dying. Or maybee its charge rate is limited to a slow rate in the tablets hardware
My NEW Lenovo Tablet charges VERY slowly. Its just the was it is, it wasnt designed to charge fast.

Kame
02-02-2018, 04:05 PM
It depends on how its said...

4x5V2.4A is better than 4 ports, max current 3A. Reason being, its probably 4 ports each around 1.33A, which totals a max of 3A.

Also, just because Amps can be higher, does not mean a device will take that much. It will draw what it can.

dugimodo
02-02-2018, 04:25 PM
Some tablets & phones, including samsung ones, detect their own proprietary fast chargers and charge faster and drop back to slower rates when plugged into other chargers. It's a bit hit and miss trying to fast charge with anything other than the factory charger and the only way to know if it'll work is trying it for yourself. Some fast chargers for tablets are dual voltage, using 5V for standard devices but ramping up to 9V or 15v or something when connected to the right device. My Note 5 does that with a samsung "adaptive fast charger" but my Tab S2 doesn't, but then the tablet complains about slow charging if you connect it to a 0.5 amp charger so it definitely uses more than that.

USB charging is a strange thing, as Kame mentioned a bit the rated output power of the charger does not necessarily affect charge rate of the device. There is a standard for high current chargers and compatible devices *should* detect them and charge faster, but as I said it's not always reliable on mixed brands. Apple is the worst because they don't want you using anything else except the official charger.

The circuitry for controlling the charging of the tablet is built into the tablet, not the charger. All the charger really has to do is supply enough power and the tablet takes care of the rest. With fast chargers there is a specific voltage on one of the data ports that the tablet should detect, all that does is let the tablet know more power is available if required.

muffin
02-02-2018, 07:58 PM
Thanks for the replies.

What are you wanting
just a better USB charger , an international power board, a power board with USB charge ports

How old is the Tablet, maybee the batt is dying. Or maybee its charge rate is limited to a slow rate in the tablets hardware

I am wanting a power board with USB charge ports to take when travelling overseas AND use it at home. Having international plugs is a bonus to eliminate the need to use an additional adaptor. I need to charge a camera, iphone, another phone, the tablet (3 years old) and a couple of other minor devices plus a couple of non-USB things that will be plugged in. USB charging sounds far more technical than I had expected but my main concern is not being able to have six devices charging at once or having them take two days to charge because there isn't enough power going to each item.

I want to be able to plug everything in, say, before going to bed and have everything fully charged by morning. Can I expect either of these boards to do that?

piroska
02-02-2018, 08:49 PM
https://www.catch.com.au/product/polaroid-international-travel-power-board-black-412280/#review-section
:)

If I must pick one, then that one.

I hate buying those sight unseen, they cheap nasty ones, the crude test is they are light and weigh nothing.

Often you put a plug in and they pop back up slightly, they kill appliances and such that you plug in. They get hot.

Weight is not a technical way to tell, but it helps.

muffin
05-02-2018, 04:14 PM
Thanks for your comment. I have gone ahead and ordered the Polaroid one, fingers crossed it works out.