PDA

View Full Version : WinXP Pro - Very Slow Startup

13-01-2002, 12:38 PM
I have just installed windows xp pro on a new computer. I already have it running on a duron 800MHz and an athlon 1200MHz. The new computer is an athlon 1600+ processor and all three computers have gigabyte motherboards, seagate hdd's, and 256MB of RAM. I am very satisfied with xp's performance on both the duron and the athlon 1200, but the new athlon 1600 takes over two minutes to start, from the time the windows xp logo is first displayed to the time that i can log on. (my other two pc's this same period is about 20-30 seconds). The motherboard has a 'designed for xp logo on the box as well).

Does anyone have any idea what may be causing this ultra-slow boot??

Cheers, Craig.

13-01-2002, 03:17 PM
hi Craig,

Does the PC perform as expected once it has completed booting?
Does it have a NIC?
Does it have a CD writer?
Are there any errors in the event logs?

17-01-2002, 01:08 AM
I use a little freeware utility program developed by the MS software development team. It is called BootVis.To obtain it either go into MS website and do a search for fast boot, or use google and search for BootVis.

After rechecking all hardware configs for correct operation, i then installed and ran this utility, and managed to reduce boot time by 20seconds

Well worth a try

17-01-2002, 01:48 PM
Once winxp is loaded everything is fine. The computer has no NIC and no CDwriter, however it does have an asus dvd player (dunno if this is relevant).

How do I check for errors in the event logs and which ones do i want to check??

Cheers.