PDA

View Full Version : Lockups after RAM upgrade

12-01-2002, 10:38 PM
Upgraded RAM from 64 to 128 on HP Pavilion 8624 pc with 667 CPU and have had constant lockups since then. Also CD writer won't write. Everything is plugged in the right place. Can anyone help as to what is wrong?

12-01-2002, 11:20 PM
Sounds to me like the two lots of RAM do not have idnetical specifications.

13-01-2002, 12:40 AM
Thanks John. I thought it would be a fairly simple operation - take out the old, put in the new as pc is only 12 mths old. So how do I find out what the specs should be?

13-01-2002, 07:38 PM
First, it's quite possible the lockups and the CD burner problem are totally unrelated.

To really get to grips with your hassles could require a lot of trial and error as there could be many possible reasons.

Common lockup problems could be from:
Overheating CPU (cooling fan not working e.g.)
Faulty memory modules
Incorrect BIOS settings etc

I'm sure you get the picture. Same with the CD writer; many possible causes. There are likely to be some specific symptoms that will lead to a diagnosis but the info you have supplied may not be enough. However...

Is the Power-On test showing the right amount of memory on startup?
Is the memory you purchased the same speed (MHz) as your original stick?
Have you had any overheating messages in the BIOS?

My first solution would be to remove the new module and see if everything works as it did. If so, that would suggest a fault of some description with the memory.

Remove the original and replace it with the new one. If that shows problems, then the stick is definitely faulty. If no problems show up, then the two modules are incompatible for some reason. Replace the new one with one that exactly matches the original, install them and all should be well (I think).

The reason I suggest you match the original is that presumably the original was more or less problem-free.

As for the CD writer, I'd need more info to hazard a guess.

:-)

13-01-2002, 10:18 PM
Thanks for all your help everyone. I replaced the 128 RAM with another new one and still got the same probs, so put my old 64MG back in and so far have had no problems, so must have been a compatibility problem. Very strange tho, as HP Support said there shouldn't have been one. I am just off to try my CD-writer out to see if that is okay now....

14-01-2002, 11:58 PM
The problem you are having could have something to do with the fact that most of the HP Pavilion models us part of the ram for video ram. The way i have over come the problem in the past is to install the new ram in the first slot, boot and run setup and allocate more ram for video - if it was set at 4 for 64MB, set to 8MB. Reboot and if it works OK, then add the old ram to slot 2.

15-01-2002, 12:38 AM
Thanks Dave. All HP can say when I ring them as to why I can't upgrade is that the RAM must be faulty and to replace it. Well I have done that twice now and will do it one more time but after that.... well you can't tell me that I would get 3 bad lots! Will try what you suggested and post what happens for the benefit of anyone else with the same problem.