PDA

View Full Version : HDMI Splitter

Pato
11-01-2018, 01:55 PM
Want to try a Chromecast but both HDMI ports on TV are used. Can I use a Splitter to achieve this?. Are they satisfactory and if so do I need to look for a high quality unit?.

dugimodo
11-01-2018, 02:29 PM
You want a switch not a splitter I'd think. The only thing I can think of to use a splitter for is to display the same thing on two different screens.
I got a small 3 way switch with a remote from pb tech that would do the trick https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/KVMATN0381/Aten-VanCryst-VS-381-3-Port-HDMI-Switch-allows-you

I use mine to connect two PCs to the same monitor and it works well. If your TV has a USB port it's a convenient way to power the chromecast too.

Pato
11-01-2018, 03:04 PM
That is the info' that I was after. I wasn't really sure what I needed or even if it would work. The TV has a USB port so hopefully that would take care of the power supply.

wainuitech
11-01-2018, 07:38 PM
Blimey they know how to charge. No wonder people get stuff from overseas.

Pato
12-01-2018, 07:24 AM
Blimey they know how to charge. No wonder people get stuff from overseas.That's what I thought but what would you suggest I look for please?. Will a Splitter work or do I need a switch?.

wainuitech
12-01-2018, 08:17 AM
A switch allows you to change devices, where as a Splitter ( monitor is an example) you can have one input going to two/three monitors, then all the monitors will show the same thing ( like you see in places like Harvey Norman) rows of TV's all playing the same video.

I get some things from places like wish.com or aliexpress. Takes a few weeks to get here But cheaper.

Example:

Postage is $5 If I was to hunt around there will be slightly cheaper.

The only problem with electronics, is sometimes they don't always work as well as you may expect. So while the more expensive ones you have a comeback locally these you dont really. That's why if I buy cheap like the one above there's no great expectations if it fails so what.

I have a cheaper one ( unpowered) that doesn't like the vodafone decoder to much, I suspect a powered one would work better.

Pato
12-01-2018, 09:13 AM
Thanks wainui, It looks like I need a Switch rather than a Splitter to enable the use of a Chromecast. I guess with any Electronics it may not work the way expected. We are on Vodafone Cable so that comment is particularly helpful.