PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Routers Degraded Performance

learning
09-01-2018, 07:31 PM
Do wireless home router performance degrade overtime?

I have a DSL modem with wireless router built in ( Netgear DGND3300v2 ) and its about 4-5yrs old.
I have noticed gradual wireless slow performance with mobile phone devices or laptop connected to it.

I have not introduced any other wifi devices on the premises that may interfere with WiFi signals.
Wired connection to the router is pretty much ok

I reset it every once in awhile also but no real performance difference.
Do these routers degrade especially for wifi signal strength and have a shelf life ?

Cheers

GameJunkie
09-01-2018, 08:10 PM
It could be time to replace it with a more modem unit.

piroska
10-01-2018, 07:13 AM
The sort answer: no.

Heat can cause problems, however, you're going to get faults with affected components.

The simple answer is interference. Interference can be from many things, not just your own equipment, how close are you to neighbours for instance? In an apartment situation that can have an impact.

dugimodo
10-01-2018, 12:12 PM
It's surprising how many wifi networks you can pick up in some suburbs, could just be that your neighbours have all started using wifi themselves over the years. At home using wifi Analyser on my smartphone (useful little app) I can pick up 4-6 networks in my office and a whopping 10 or more from the front of the house nearer the street - many from across the road.

If you find there area a lot of overlapping networks nearby one option is to try and manually pick a channel as far away from the rest as possible. Most don't bother and a lot of routers default to the same channels.

learning
10-01-2018, 05:51 PM
Cheers everyone for the info. I will look into the suggestions