PDA

View Full Version : Windows 10 boot problem

Brucem
29-12-2017, 09:49 AM
Twice recently, my computer has, on booting, produced a blue screen and a statement like "Automatic repair cannot repair your computer". The only way to restore normal service has been to restore to the last restore point. This happened this morning, and a week or two ago. I can't recall when I installed Win10, but it was a relief to replace 8.1.

Bryan
29-12-2017, 10:11 AM
Since the early installs of WIN10 there have been many improvements and at least two upgrades. I would suggest that you download to an 8g USB stick the latest MS offering of WIN10 Creator and do a new install. Backup your computer first and you should be prepared to reload third party programs that you might have.

piroska
29-12-2017, 01:06 PM
It has been known to be an "improvement" that causes issues.

can you get into safe mode? Take a look in Event Viewer for starters and see if anything obvious there.
If not, then a repair install using the media you got it on.

wainuitech
29-12-2017, 01:40 PM
Its well known that a lot of computers that have upgraded from a previous OS, namely W7 -8.1, there are problems. A fresh install is always better.

To do a repair install on W10 from media & keep all data and programs, there is no option to repair like XP. You can refresh ( as they call it) BUT that's actually a full reinstall from scratch, it doesn't keep data or programs. Edited: You cant run a repair install from safe mode either.

You must be able to boot into Windows 10. You cannot repair install Windows 10 by booting from the Windows 10 setup DVD or Windows 10 setup USB. If you cannot fully boot, start up, and log into Windows 10, you cannot perform a repair install and reinstalling Windows 10 will result in the loss of all user data and applications!
Source https://neosmart.net/wiki/windows-10-repair-installation/

KarameaDave
29-12-2017, 01:42 PM
:xmouth:

Speedy Gonzales
30-12-2017, 10:24 AM
I know you can get an automatic repair if you install the Creators update, and you install a TPM 1.2 module. It happened on this

I had to remove the TPM module and replace it with a TPM 2 module to fix it. Since, the Creators update only supports TPM 2

mzee
30-12-2017, 05:41 PM
Of course, if you had made a system backup you wouldn't have a problem :)