PDA

View Full Version : PC caught in boot loop

micky
22-12-2017, 05:24 PM
My neighbour has given me a desktop pc which has a Gigabyte GA-H55M-USB 3 mother board it just keeps rebooting offering to repair Windows 10. Is it an easy fix or it not worth bothering with?

KarameaDave
22-12-2017, 06:16 PM
The likeliest option is a corrupt HDD, a reinstall may fix, or the HDD may be failing.

Terry Porritt
22-12-2017, 08:18 PM
The photo of the motherboard shows empty RAM slots.
This board takes 1.5v DDR up to 16 GB and 800MHz to 1600Mhz.

Speedy Gonzales
22-12-2017, 10:29 PM
+1 it wont do much with no ram. It uses DDR3 ram. If it does have ram, did whoever install windows on the hdd.

They didnt remove the hdd from something else then install it on this? if they did do a clean install

KarameaDave
22-12-2017, 10:34 PM
The photo of the motherboard shows empty RAM slots.
This board takes 1.5v DDR up to 16 GB and 800MHz to 1600Mhz.

Actually Terry the QVL lists DDR3 800MHz to 2200MHz :)

And the PC would not POST or the OS attempt a repair without RAM
My conclusion is that for some reason the OP removed the RAM before taking the photo
that shows empty DIMM slots

Terry Porritt
23-12-2017, 07:44 AM
Very true, it wouldn't get past POST without RAM

piroska
23-12-2017, 08:18 AM
Repair windows...with the CD.
Most likely just corrupt, worth it to try anyway

micky
23-12-2017, 09:55 AM
Tried different hdd and tried to install linux and win 7 no go error messages enclosed

If its the motherboard could I try and fit another never done it before would like to try!

wainuitech
23-12-2017, 10:06 AM
The errors given in the second post could relate to faulty memory. You can run memtest from a CD https://www.memtest86.com/ If it turns red = memory faulty.

If you have separate sticks of memory remove one at a time and test the others.

The motherboard (as long as its not damaged) is perfectly fine one of the computers here has the exact same board.

Fixing W10 -- When it fails during the auto repair, go into the advanced options, locate system restore and see if it will run back to when it was working.
Fixing Windows from W7 onwards is not as easy as it was in XP, you cant boot from the CD/DVD and run a repair install.

If you wanted to use a different motherboard, it would need a reinstall. You'll need the product key. W7 keys onwards still does work, BUT there's a few procedures you need to do to get it to activate again.

Even then it may not activate as the Licence key is tied to the original hardware (motherboard). AGAIN though, there's ways around that.

KarameaDave
23-12-2017, 10:32 AM
As a matter of interest, why did you remove the RAM?
Did you take proper ESD precautions, anti-static strap, earthing?

Kame
23-12-2017, 11:15 AM
Looking at that Linux output its definitely a kernel panic, maybe RAM related but it looks like it was caused by a hibernate/suspend corruption, but surely that wouldn't affect Linux since it did not occur with it and surely the system would have been powered off completely to ensure nothing remained in RAM. It's definitely an odd one to see though.

I think change of RAM would be in order, maybe memtest would pick the issue up but wouldnt solve it.

apsattv
23-12-2017, 10:26 PM
Start again, clear the cmos for the bios, or hold down delete and reset it there. Someone may have fiddled with things.

wbcrogdin
28-12-2017, 11:38 PM
Check the fan and Memory. I have a PC with the same problem.