PDA

View Full Version : Firefox Prevented This Page From Redirecting .....

SurferJoe46
21-11-2017, 08:54 PM
How do I stop FF from doing that every time? (I may have the exact working kinda fudged-up here, but youse gets my drift - right?)

I've been to FF advanced settings and I cannot find the place to turn it off.

pcuser42
21-11-2017, 09:03 PM
Which page? That's usually the website's fault.

SurferJoe46
21-11-2017, 09:17 PM
Every page I open with a click - like from my Gmail inbox, I click on an email link and the next page opens with that warning banner on the top.

I then have to "ALLOW" FF to go there.

feersumendjinn
21-11-2017, 10:15 PM
Did you try this
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/Firefox/The_about_protocol

SurferJoe46
22-11-2017, 04:03 AM
I don't know if I see anything in there I can use...... but I'll give it a run after breakfast today.

Youse guys kept me up until 3 AM working on the 32 bit v 64 bit Dropbox problem. I don't know how Dave saw that though.

I am sure I clicked on the 64 bit version.... but maybe not.

wainuitech
22-11-2017, 07:35 AM
Dont know what version of FF you are using, but just checked mine 57, and by default its off.

Found this article:

(1) In a new tab, type or paste about:config in the address bar and press Enter/Return. Click the button accepting the risk.

(2) In the search box above the list, type or paste access and pause while the list is filtered

(3a) TO TURN OFF: If the accessibility.blockautorefresh preference is bolded and "modified" or "user set" to true, double-click it to restore the default value of false

(3b) TO TURN ON: Double-click the accessibility.blockautorefresh preference to switch it from false to true

SurferJoe46
22-11-2017, 08:55 AM
OK - I can see that in my Studio 'puter, but this Ubuntu version I cannot see a way to turn FF ON.

The reason I sent it away was because it took up too much real estate in that bar and I was approaching full and I don't know what happens then. So - it had to go since it was troublesome anyway.

What I did was remove it from the sidebar - which this distro uses, and I have no idea where it went from there.

Is banishing it permanent? Now I'd like to 'un-banish' it.

I see it in the list of Ubuntu Software, and the only option there is to REMOVE it.

That must mean that it is a resident and accessible SOMEWHERE - but I can't find a way to click it back into existence.

KarameaDave
22-11-2017, 09:08 AM
Type Firefox into the searchbar, then right click the Firefox entry that appears
click on 'Lock to launcher'.

KarameaDave
22-11-2017, 09:27 AM
Actually that doesn't seem to work but you can just drag and drop the icon to the launcher.

SurferJoe46
22-11-2017, 02:05 PM
Man !!! I don't get an icon when I Google for FF. All I get is an HTTPS:// etc, etc.

Do you want me to drag that to the sidebar? Because the bar won't open when I do.I even went so far as to not hide the sidebar and try to put FF there but it won't work either.

So I sent my sidebar into hiding again. I like it that way.

KarameaDave
22-11-2017, 02:42 PM
Don't Google it, use the search-bar in the sidebar at the top.

SurferJoe46
22-11-2017, 02:47 PM
Ow! This isn't fun at all - although if I get it straightened out, there's gonna be steamed clams and Mexican beer for a treat.

OK - here goes - I went into man man and found some commands that seem to do - er :things" to Ubuntu. Thankfully I haven't killed it yet.

joe@joe-ThinkCentre-M52:~$ cd ~/Downloads/
joe@joe-ThinkCentre-M52:~/Downloads$ tar xjf firefox-57.0.tar.bz2
tar (child): firefox-57.0.tar.bz2: Cannot open: No such file or directory
tar (child): Error is not recoverable: exiting now
tar: Child returned status 2
tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
joe@joe-ThinkCentre-M52:~/Downloads$ tar xjf firefox-57.0.tar.bz2
tar (child): firefox-57.0.tar.bz2: Cannot open: No such file or directory
tar (child): Error is not recoverable: exiting now
tar: Child returned status 2
tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
joe@joe-ThinkCentre-M52:~/Downloads$

Now - I KNOW I downloaded the new FF 57. I have the folder extracted into a location that I can actually find easily.

So as youse can see, I've got nothing yet. But I'm trying to not lean on youse guys too hard --- youse is all been very kind and helpful and I appreciate it greatly. Hughly! Monstrously, really! :wub

I also once had a child I would have liked to return to status 2.

NEXT - the ppa-thingy again.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mozillateam/firefox-next
sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade
sudo apt install firefox

.... which I don't think will work 'cause I cannot find the old FF 56 icon. So substituting a new FF 57 won't be any good if I can't find it either.

I believe that I should un-install FF completely and then put it back in.
I found a script to do that :

sudo apt remove firefox

sudo add-apt-repository --remove ppa:mozillateam/firefox-next

sudo apt install firefox

It's probably sleepy time in Upsidedown Land. I'll try this - I mean ----> what's the worst that can happen? Re-format (this 'puter with just) Cinnamon in it and start from scratch.

Windmill = 12 or so.
Me = 3 or 4 at best.

KarameaDave
22-11-2017, 03:02 PM
Jeez Joe, you don't need to do all that.
Open terminal type in
sudo apt-get install firefox
press enter and give your password when it asks.
And it will either tell you it is already installed, or install it for you.

SurferJoe46
22-11-2017, 03:21 PM
I did that and still no icon in the sidebar.

I watched all the streaming things in TERMINAL and then I saw that it had installed FF 57 - somewhere.

I'll go look in SEARCH at the top of the sidebar column to see if I can find it.