PDA

View Full Version : Dropbox Wrong Architecture "amd 64" HUH?

SurferJoe46
21-11-2017, 07:20 PM
First, I tried to get my Dropbox files running here in Studio as it has some neat photo and video processors.

My first parry into the windmill was by using this code:

cd ~ && wget -O - "https://www.dropbox.com/download?plat=lnx.x86_64" | tar xzf -

I had to run the Dropbox daemon from the newly created .dropbox-dist folder with this code:

~/.dropbox-dist/dropboxd

.... and I got a neat yellow screen with nothing on it at all. I rebooted since somehow the 'puter froze and wouldn't take any keystrokes at all.

Windmill = 1 Me = 0 :(

I opened another TERMINAL and entered this code I got from HERE (https://www.dropbox.com/download?dl=packages/ubuntu/dropbox_2015.10.28_amd64.deb):

sudo dmidecode | grep Version
sudo dmidecode | less | grep Version

and got this information:

Ubuntu Studio, 16.04, Athlon 64 x 2 Dual Core Processor 3600+

I tried to get Dropbox with this command:

cd ~ && wget -O - "https://www.dropbox.com/download?plat=lnx.x86_64" | tar xzf -

Then I get this:

Wrong architecture "amd64"

Windmill = 2 Me = 0 :mad:

This Linux stuff is hard enough when things go right.

How can I get to my Dropbox account on Linux and this d:confused:mned amd64 'puter??

fred_fish
21-11-2017, 07:38 PM
What does 'uname -a' show?

SurferJoe46
21-11-2017, 07:46 PM
I get this:

joe@joe-studio:~/Desktop$ uname -a
Linux joe-studio 4.2.0-42-lowlatency #49~14.04.1-Ubuntu SMP PREEMPT Wed Jun 29 21:11:11 UTC 2016 i686 athlon i686 GNU/Linux
joe@joe-studio:~/Desktop$

KarameaDave
21-11-2017, 08:08 PM
You've got 32 bit Ubuntu installed, use the x86 version.

SurferJoe46
21-11-2017, 08:26 PM
You mean that I've got to burn this hdd completely down again and reinstall Zorin, Studio AND Ubuntu Cinnamon?

:badpc:

I don't think there's any way to remove just one distro - :eek: is there?

I think it's format time -----> again!
And I have a 500G hdd too.
Format takes a long time.

:crying:

I don't have anything else to do tomorrow - Tuesday - but just ric-stack four cords of wood that was unceremoniously dumped on my driveway - blocking my wife, her van, my dog and the postman from his appointed rounds.

When will I have time to play in the snow that's gonna arrive tonight?

KarameaDave
21-11-2017, 08:40 PM
You mean that I've got to burn this hdd completely down again and reinstall Zorin, Studio AND Ubuntu Cinnamon?

:badpc:

I don't think there's any way to remove just one distro - :eek: is there?

I think it's format time -----> again!
And I have a 500G hdd too.
Format takes a long time.

:crying:

I don't have anything else to do tomorrow - Tuesday - but just ric-stack four cords of wood that was unceremoniously dumped on my driveway - blocking my wife, her van, my dog and the postman from his appointed rounds.

When will I have time to play in the snow that's gonna arrive tonight?

No Joe
I meant install the x86 version of Dropbox, not Ubuntu.

SurferJoe46
21-11-2017, 08:41 PM
(breathe again)

Thanks.

SurferJoe46
21-11-2017, 08:44 PM
You DO know that I'm having a good time here - right?

I mean ----> it's educational and they say the best way to keep Alzheimer's away is to keep the brain engaged in problems and fact-finding.

SurferJoe46
21-11-2017, 08:45 PM
I think Linux was invented as a old age retardation preventative.

bevy121
22-11-2017, 11:54 AM
athlon i686

xx86 = 32bit

Kame
22-11-2017, 01:16 PM
To be honest, you'll probably want to look at getting 64bit OS, 32bit software will eventually be stopped, some have already taken this stance. Normally computers 10 years or older might be 32 bit architecture but your CPU is definitely 64bit.

You can just remove a distribution, easiest way would be to boot into another OS or live media and remove the partition it sits on, then when running the installer for it, you'll ask it to install into the unallocated space. Grub would needed to be updated to find the new OS if the installer can't do it.

SurferJoe46
22-11-2017, 04:10 PM
I looked into "This Computer" on the other 'puter --- and it says that I indeed have a 64 bit 'puter and that the Zorin is 64 bit, as is Ubuntu Studio (the other 'puter). I'm also sure that Ubuntu Cinnamon is 64 bit too (this 'puter).

Right now I'm working on the 'puter with just this one distro: Cinnamon. This is the one that had the driver problem for the WSKY WiFi adapter - which is running well right now.

I just got a gift of two 30inch flat screen monitors which I will be putting online tonight.

I'm trying to winnow down the computers I have in my room - but I need to have that Ubuntu Studio running well - and having a good b&w WiFi laser printer working on it too.

The idea is to get my recordings done more professionally - that was the big fight to keep obsolete sound cards that have served me very well , with all the bells and whistles that I have been using too.

Changing to a whole different system - Linux in particular - was not a good thing a couple of years ago. M$ forced my hand by not letting me use obsolete sound cards - so I dumped M$ and am trying to figger this L-thing out.

Just this minute - between lines of text here - I solved the FF57 problem. It's up-n-running.

Kame
22-11-2017, 05:58 PM
Your uname command says i686 (x86) which it is possible to run a 32bit kernel in a 64bit OS but it seems unlikely that would be the case. Even though its possible it's not that easy.

If a lot of packages are installed that suggest ix86, then it would be a sign that the 32bit version was installed.

I am not sure how youre detecting if 64 bit was installed or not, since you cant rely on the processor, since that will say its 64 bit, it'll have to be determined by the software and it reporting wrong architecture when trying to install x86_64 or amd64 should be another sign its considered 32bit.

Some commands you might be able to try:

dpkg --print-architecture

arch

getconf LONG_BIT

uname -m

file /usr/bin/ld

Not sure how accurate they will be but hopefully they provide answers.