PDA

View Full Version : Mozilla Thundrbird

Poppa John
21-11-2017, 03:57 PM
Hi All
I have been having a nosy at Thundrbird with a view to using it. On the first page is a box ticked & the words gandi.com. Dos this mean it is an Indian company? PJ

bevy121
21-11-2017, 04:22 PM
you answered your own question in your heading... Mozilla Thundrbird

Mozilla - the same people that bring you Firefox

They are an American organization based in California I think

Gandi.com is an American mortgage broker based in San Francisco - nothing Indian about it at all

Not sure why you see it tho

bevy121
21-11-2017, 04:27 PM
Had a quick look - it's gandi dot NET - one of the email providers that mozilla works with......

wainuitech
21-11-2017, 05:03 PM
You can untick that option- Gandi, it wont hurt the functions and no point in putting in extra crap.

Poppa John
21-11-2017, 07:08 PM
Ok everybody, thanks. Will have a closer look at it. I moved from Windows Live Mail when I got MS Office & Outlook.co. I have one more year of $99 of Office, then what. It is all a bit confusing for my old brain to follow. Maryann would have known what to do. If I have to change emails it would have to simple to change & use. Perhaps I am worrying ahead off time.. PJ

pctek
22-11-2017, 08:49 AM
I think what you are talking about is it's annoying habit of wanting to by default, set up email for you. There is a list of providers it has.
That is probably one of them.

Cancel that and make sure you choose MANUAL setup and enter all the server details yourself.

Speedy Gonzales
22-11-2017, 11:03 AM
Using Gandi whatever it is makes it easier to setup an email in TB. I unticked it once, it took forever to configure an email without it. No matter what I tried. And I know what I was putting in, was correct

I've done it plenty of times

notechyet
29-11-2017, 06:22 PM
I mentioned in another thread, why not use http://www.emclient.com/download
It is a IMAP client though you can choose the (history)backdate you want to use. For free use with max 2 email accounts. Have used it successfully with Gmail.

Poppa John
29-11-2017, 07:50 PM
I looked at a few apps & backed off. I need to sort passwords out first. (next thread) PJ

wainuitech
29-11-2017, 07:59 PM
Setting up Thunderbird with either gmail or outlook.com is a piece of cake. You dont need to have Gandi ticked.

Select use your existing email -- All you do is enter in your email address and password (when prompted) , make sure IMAP is set, and it does the rest. Out of the countless setups I've done the ONLY ONE time its failed is when the person got the password wrong. All other settings it does automatically.