PDA

View Full Version : I Reset Zorin Passwd! I Dood It!

SurferJoe46
20-11-2017, 04:28 PM
I have a distro of Zorin on the same 'puter as I have Ubuntu Studio and Cinnamon.

Yeah - I know - three distros!

Well they all work nicely - but I forgot my password for Zorin when it wanted priveledges to install some updates. I couldn't remember it - although I KNOW what I said - it just didn't want to hear it from me.

1. I rebooted into GRUB
2. I cursored down to recovery mode > ENTER
3. I typed in the following commands:

ls /home
mount -o rw, remount /
passwd joezorin
enter a new password

I had some sort of authentication problems.
.....................something about abusing the system or words to that effect! Hrumph! IOW: resetting the password failed and it told me so!

Hmmm! Now what?

I Googled it and found some other ideas and some were unsuccessful, some just left me with a long list of commands I COULD use - obviously the ones I was using were not appreciated.

In particular it didn't like 'mount'.

It looked like I was going to have to use a 'bin/bash' thing - and this is supposed to be a shell-dangerous thing to do. It was either this or re-install Zorin.

Back in TERMINAL:

append
rw init =bin/bash on the end of the line with a new password.

THIS LOOKED SCARY, so I 'exit' out of TERMINAL back to grub..............................

THIS TIME I used the RECOVERY in Network line, and pretty much did the same thing as my first idea.

I got what I wanted and I've got a new password. Things are looking up if I can fix things in Linux - huh? :devil

After all that - why couldn't I just use 'sudo' and get all the rights in the first place and not have to do an end run through the Network repair?

Kame
21-11-2017, 06:00 PM
I don't normally like sharing how to do this, but if someone has physical access to the machine and hasn't encrypted their home, then its their problem?

You need to get a root shell, when you get to grub, find the entry you want to edit and hit 'e' at the very end of this line, put a '1' (one) without quotes, this will get you to single user mode, runlevel 1, once at the terminal do passwd username and change password.

Reboot to grub and remove that 1, then boot normally.

SurferJoe46
21-11-2017, 06:31 PM
Yeah - I read all the ideas that this opened security to easily be hacked by the guy in the next cubicle - but if you have a password coming out of snooze or screensaver... then one would deserve what happens.

BTW: what does " -o " mean?

KarameaDave
21-11-2017, 07:13 PM
According to man mount -o denotes options.
(man pages are basic instructions (stands for manual) for terminal commands and other utilities, and can be accessed in the terminal.
So
man mount
will give options and syntax for the utility mount)

SurferJoe46
21-11-2017, 07:42 PM
I think I've seen that man mount display a few times accidentally.

The words it will accept are not in a list, but they are scattered like a long non-ending sentence on a screen that cannot be scrolled back to the top of the screen to see what happened before it scrolled up.

KarameaDave
21-11-2017, 08:12 PM
Hmm mine happily scrolls with the mouse-wheel!
If you want to find out about man pages you can enter
man man

SurferJoe46
21-11-2017, 08:28 PM
man man I'm gonna try that right now!