PDA

View Full Version : Firefox Quantum 57...first impressions

Terry Porritt
16-11-2017, 10:18 AM
Can't say I'm overly impressed at this stage.

I know "eventually" things will improve, but my main beefs at this stage are about the addons or web extensions. In particular video downloading is now a pain as the supposedly updated Video Downloadhelper, my favourite no longer works on many sites as playing videos are not detected. It is being worked on though.

Video Downloader Prime as an alternative works after a fashion, but I can't get it to ask me where I would like the download to be put.

It's enough to drive one to Chrome :banana Several of my favourite addons have not yet been revised for FF 57.

The other gripe was I found that Firefox shortcut icons had changed to a black background from white. To me they were horrible :)

This can be fixed easily enough by extracting the old white background icon from Firefox.exe version 56 and replacing into version 57 using Resource Hacker...........that's assuming you can now get access to the old version.

In the meantime it's a case of wait and see if addon writers update their goodies.

Sirhc
16-11-2017, 11:45 AM
3 of my most used addons Speed Dial, Download Them All & Session Manager no longer work.

Speedy Gonzales
16-11-2017, 11:45 AM
So far so good here. The only addon I use is Adblock. At least it supports it now. Only prob is v56 was a memory and CPU hog. So, is v57

chiefnz
16-11-2017, 12:13 PM
I started with the beta and I liked it. Though I do agree that the issues with the add-ons were/are an issue. I had trouble with Ad-block but that has been sorted now. The memory usage still seems excessive but is a hell of a lot less than the pre-Quantum release. Currently, Quantum uses about 400-420MB as opposed to the previous version using 1GB+.

All in all, I quite like it, pretty good job to be honest.

gary67
16-11-2017, 12:34 PM
Its brilliant so much better than the so called other browsers everything I use still works

pcuser42
16-11-2017, 12:45 PM
Firefox 57 is fantastic. :thumbs:

All of my add-ons have either been updated to be compatible or weren't really needed in the first place. Only one needed to be replaced.

zqwerty
16-11-2017, 01:54 PM
To replace Speed Dial try this one, Sirhc, I've only just started using it as I changed over to Quantum yesterday:

https://mybrowseraddon.com/speed-dial.html

and get it from here:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/speed-dial-lite/

I'm impressed with the speed of 57 but lots of my addons not working although I have found substitutes for some.

wratterus
16-11-2017, 02:11 PM
Have they sped it up? I used to be #1 firefox fanboi but ditched it around v.45 and went to chrome as it just got so slow, even a clean install of FF seemed to choke up after a few weeks. No such issues with Chrome.

zqwerty
16-11-2017, 03:15 PM
Anybody wanting to tinker with the new Quantum's adblocking etc should try this addon:

https://codeyarns.com/2017/01/30/umatrix-extension-for-firefox/

zqwerty
16-11-2017, 03:19 PM
Slashdot on the same subject:

https://ask.slashdot.org/story/17/11/15/2145242/slashdot-asks-have-you-switched-to-firefox-57?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Slashdot%2Fslashdot+%28Slashd ot%29

Paul.Cov
16-11-2017, 06:16 PM
It's a trivial thing, but I really dislike the square shape of the tabs. It's a lot more harsh on the eyes than the older slanting tab borders.
Otherwise, I haven't had enough use of it to get any real feeling of any improvements. I'm biased though, anything other than IE for me.

Terry Porritt
16-11-2017, 08:28 PM
Well I decided to install Chrome to compare with Firefox 57. It's ok to a point but I prefer Firefox 57. The main thing I didn't like was the the address and title bar fonts are way too small for me and there appears no way to change them.

Googling indicates this has been a problem since like forever and Google appear to have done nothing about it :(

On the positive side Video Downloadhelper works in Chrome :)

Interestingly I used Theme and Font size Changer extension in Firefox 56, the settings appear to have carried over to v57 even though the extension no longer works in v57.

Rod J
17-11-2017, 12:20 AM
I abandoned Firefox months ago as it was increasingly annoying me here in Kubuntu Linux. There were increasing incompatibilities with the older version of Kubuntu I'm still using plus some of the changes that were introduced recently in Firefox I didn't like. Then I heard about the huge changes v57 was introducing ... the loss of my favourite add-on (TabMixPlus) was the last straw.

I'm a happy Chrome user now. It's not perfect, but it does the job. I've replaced TabMixPlus with the "Right Click Opens Link New Tab Correct Order" (catchy name, huh) Chrome add-on which gives me a little of the functionality in TabMixPlus.

Neil F
17-11-2017, 03:24 PM
I am puzzled. The other day I went from Firefox 56.02 and installed FF57.0 (64bit).
I then got a page suggesting I download FF Quantum as if it was something different. I logged that question on FF Forum -no response.

Is 57.0 the same as FF Quantum and if so is Firefox just copying MS which changed name from numbered versions of Internet Explorer to MS Edge?

pcuser42
17-11-2017, 06:29 PM
Is 57.0 the same as FF Quantum

Yes.

is Firefox just copying MS which changed name from numbered versions of Internet Explorer to MS Edge?

No. Edge is a completely different beast from IE, whereas Firefox 57 is more akin to a rewrite (but still called Firefox).

gary67
17-11-2017, 06:53 PM
Well I decided to install Chrome to compare with Firefox 57. It's ok to a point but I prefer Firefox 57. The main thing I didn't like was the the address and title bar fonts are way too small for me and there appears no way to change them.

Googling indicates this has been a problem since like forever and Google appear to have done nothing about it :(

On the positive side Video Downloadhelper works in Chrome :)

Interestingly I used Theme and Font size Changer extension in Firefox 56, the settings appear to have carried over to v57 even though the extension no longer works in v57.

I tried chrome for a while as it was the only browser that would run a particular web portal I used for work properly, I refuse to install that rubbish browser at home its horrible

Marnie
17-11-2017, 07:29 PM
Since Firefox update a lot of my videos seem to be overlaid with pink and green tones. Can anyone give me a quick (and simple) fix for this?
Thanks, Marnie.

gary67
17-11-2017, 10:33 PM
Its under the customise button and then themes I think for this

Marnie
17-11-2017, 10:48 PM
Its under the customise button and then themes I think for this

I will check when I am more awake, thanks, Gary.

Tony
19-11-2017, 04:15 PM
It's a trivial thing, but I really dislike the square shape of the tabs. It's a lot more harsh on the eyes than the older slanting tab borders.
Otherwise, I haven't had enough use of it to get any real feeling of any improvements. I'm biased though, anything other than IE for me.

I read that they render much quicker, thus contributing to the speed improvements. I suspect that you wouldn't notice any improvement there unless you are one those people who have dozens of tabs open at once

beetle
20-11-2017, 10:27 AM
So .............i had colour tabs, and now all tabs but the one i have open are black. so i cant see the x to close other tabs and have lost tabs cos ive missed the correct click spot...... and the back ground shows thru my black desktop so all the words get lost - titles... grrrrh
lost a lot of my fav add ons.

wainuitech
20-11-2017, 10:46 AM
Try resetting the theme back to default. Even in the Dark/Black theme the Writing and the X should be white.

To change the theme, click on the 3 horizontal bars top, far right - Customize - then down the bottom themes/change to the default.

The Add-on's -- Some are simply not compatible any more, so until the designers play catch up its either wait or find others. (this is nothing New)

On one of the PC's here a Previous FF upgrade broke my internet Downloader add-on, with this version 57 its back and working ---yaaaa

beetle
20-11-2017, 10:54 AM
OMG restore to default and ooops menu bar, toolbar and something else gone still cant see each individual tab....... sigh........ may have to wait for catch up....... :(

makes it hard to read the top of the screen tho.......
Thanks for the idea tho.

Terry Porritt
20-11-2017, 11:26 AM
OMG restore to default and ooops menu bar, toolbar and something else gone still cant see each individual tab....... sigh........ may have to wait for catch up....... :(

makes it hard to read the top of the screen tho.......
Thanks for the idea tho.

No use waiting, things wont change on their own, strike whilst the iron is hot :devil

Here's a site telling how to customise FF 57
https://www.howtogeek.com/333110/how-to-customize-firefox-quantum-and-remove-the-white-space-around-the-title-bar/

Also don't forget your Windows themes and settings will also affect FF and all other windows, so right click on the screen and go to Personalize and adjust things until you can see properly.

Sounds as though you have too much black around the place :)

beetle
20-11-2017, 11:34 AM
I had done most of that already, but i still have the only one tab coloured at a time problem.......... so cannot read what is in each tab, any ideas?

scratch that...found the problem.......colourful tabs was trying to overide the tabs, but it doesnt work in the new update, so they were showing up clear..............
hmm

:badpc: :waughh:

wainuitech
20-11-2017, 12:00 PM
I had done most of that already, but i still have the only one tab coloured at a time problem.......... so cannot read what is in each tab, any ideas?

scratch that...found the problem.......colourful tabs was trying to overide the tabs, but it doesnt work in the new update, so they were showing up clear..............
hmm

:badpc: :waughh: Just tried that colourful tabs -- Lasted all of 5 seconds then removed = total mess. Not Firefox but the add-on not yet compatible fully.

beetle
20-11-2017, 01:03 PM
Yeah it used to work real well, it made it hard work to look at the screen..... not gone just disabled, it may work again one day lol

:D

bevy121
20-11-2017, 10:46 PM
set the themes to "light" - much easier on the eyes :)

Terry Porritt
30-11-2017, 03:33 PM
Here we go again, Firefox 57.0.1 just installed with a new firefox.exe file. :)

The shortcut icons have reverted to black backgrounds which I hate. So if I want white background icons it seems as though I have to go through the motions of replacing them via resource hacker and rebuilding the icon cache each time there is an update.

I'd have thought there would be an option somewhere to revert to what they have been for yonks and yonks..........seems to be a current fad for everything to be black :mad: