PDA

View Full Version : Connecting via - Router

B.M.
13-11-2017, 09:00 AM
Canít seem to get this to work but hereís what I want to do.

I have a NetComm NB6Plus4W Modem/Router that became redundant when I went from ADSL to Fibre.

What I want to do is connect the Computer to the Router via Ethernet Cable and then connect from the Router to the Fibre Modem via Wireless.

Ok, so the object of the exercise is to get a better position and hopefully a bit more grunt than a straight wireless connection from computer to Fibre Modem.

The WLAN Ė Port Ė Power lights show on the Router and I think I have to open the Browser and make some adjustments via the Address bar, but I donít seem to be able to find the correct instructions for what I am trying to do.

What am I missing here? :confused:

Kame
13-11-2017, 10:07 AM
Don't use WLAN port, any other port be fine. You want to plug directly into the router before you put it on the network so you can make sure the IP won't conflict and is suitable for your network, e.g if your fibre uses 192.168.1.1 you may want to use 192.168.1.254, you also want DHCP off and the gateway and dns to point to 192.168.1.1 if thats the fibre, set up your wireless SSID and then connect it to your router.

B.M.
13-11-2017, 12:17 PM
Don't use WLAN port, any other port be fine. You want to plug directly into the router before you put it on the network so you can make sure the IP won't conflict and is suitable for your network, e.g if your fibre uses 192.168.1.1 you may want to use 192.168.1.254, you also want DHCP off and the gateway and dns to point to 192.168.1.1 if thats the fibre, set up your wireless SSID and then connect it to your router.

Thanks Kame.

Interestingly it doesn't have a WLAN port but does have a WLAN light which is permanent green.

I'm using a yellow ended LAN cable but don't know the relevance of the various colours if there is one.

And here is a screenshot of using diagnostics once entering the setup via 192.168.1.1

KarameaDave
13-11-2017, 12:33 PM
He may have meant WAN (Wide Area Network) port (which you won't have anyway), WLAN stands for Wireless Local Area Network, it won't have a port because it is wireless.
What you are trying to achieve is called a wireless bridge I think, not all 'routers' can do this out of the box, some can with a
third party firmware such as DDWRT, Tomato, or OpenWRT you should start with searching their websites/forums to
find out if your old 'router' can do this.

KarameaDave
13-11-2017, 01:05 PM
B.M. I note from the data-sheet for that Netcomm NB6Plus4W that it is only 802.11G that will severely limit any throughput
and will probably be inferior to your present connection, assuming you manage to achieve a connection at all.

Kame
13-11-2017, 01:12 PM
Sorry WAN port, and what youre showing is a ppp connection, which is not used, no DSL since youre just sharing your fibres internet by networking to it, you can remove it. Wireless bridging may not work.

Everything should be in WAN or network settings for this setup or some place you set the routers IP.

You need to know what IP your fibre is using, if you're connected to it, it will be the gateway on the device that is connected to it.

As for the cable, most routers nowadays have auto negotiation so using a crossover wouldn't matter but to see if its not a crossover, check both ends to see if the coloured wires match the same order, crossover mixes the order up.

13-11-2017, 02:33 PM
"so the object of the exercise is to get a better position and hopefully a bit more grunt than a straight wireless connection from computer to Fibre Modem."
all he wants is to use the old MODEM/router as a wifi repeater , to get a better wifi signal

my advice , just dont even bother trying. Not with what you've got.
unless you've got alot of spare time & patience to try & hack together something with custom firmware , that may not even do what you're after anyway...

A better option is a powerline kit, or run cables & get a wifi access point.

pctek
13-11-2017, 02:43 PM
I'm a fan of KISS.

Why not, instead, sell it and run a cable from the new modem to your PC.
Fixes the wifi lag and loses the unnecessary extra equipment.

KarameaDave
13-11-2017, 03:08 PM
What I want to do is connect the Computer to the Router via Ethernet Cable and then connect from the Router to the Fibre Modem via Wireless.

1101: This is what he says he wants to do.

B.M.
13-11-2017, 04:17 PM
Thanks guys, let me clarify the situation more.

The existing setup runs a TP-LINK TL-WN651G Ė 108Mbps Ė PCI card full specifications HERE (ttps://www.cnet.cohm/products/tp-link-tl-wn651g-network-adapter/specs/).

Now this works fine but is slower than my old ADSL.

Signal Strength rarely reaches 40% and I put this down to the fact that the aerial comes out the back of the Tower Desktop, which in turn sits in a cubbyhole under my desk. Aerial wise this is less than ideal by any standards, given the number of cables plus the chassis within millimetres.

Now I should point out that with the now redundant ADSL I used to get 14Mbps most of the time, but since moving to Fibre, on a 100/20 plan, I rarely make double figures downloading but always make 20Mbps Uploading. I should also point out that plugging my Sons Uíbeaut Laptop directly into the Fibre Modem, via a 1m Ethernet cable, only pulls 40 something Mbps down.

Iím sure I could improve my situation by cabling the whole house but that is completely impractical so Iím stuck with wireless and have to make the best of it.

Now moving on to my NetComm Modem/Router.

As Iíve already explained my idea was simply to get out from under my desk via cable and then go Wireless to Wireless.

Specifications for the NetComm Modem/Router can be found HERE (http://support.netcommwireless.com/product/nb6plus4w-rev1) and it seems it does have a ďBridge ModeĒ.

Speed wise I donít expect much, and would be happy enough if 20/20 could be achieved.

Ok, Iím off to find the Gateway address for the Fibre Modem. :)

B.M.
13-11-2017, 04:45 PM
You need to know what IP your fibre is using, if you're connected to it, it will be the gateway on the device that is connected to it.

192.168.1.1 Now what? :)

B.M.
13-11-2017, 05:05 PM
A better option is a powerline kit.

Now that's an option I hadn't considered. :thumbs:

Any recommendations? :confused:

KarameaDave
13-11-2017, 05:38 PM
TP-Link make reliable powerline kits
I have one like this below to spare room as I can't run cables in a rental situation
https://www.trademe.co.nz/computers/networking-modems/other/auction-1463152431.htm
Works well
Also
Bridge mode is not the same as Wireless bridge mode.

B.M.
13-11-2017, 07:30 PM
I have one like this below to spare room as I can't run cables in a rental situation
https://www.trademe.co.nz/computers/networking-modems/other/auction-1463152431.htm
Works well
Also

Thanks Dave.

I take it I plug a cable into a spare Ethernet socket on the Fibre Modem and likewise on my computer?

If they work OK they make more sense than cable.

Are they all paired on different frequencies a bit like say Garage Doors?

14-11-2017, 08:47 AM
Now that's an option I hadn't considered. :thumbs:

Any recommendations? :confused:

this one has a wifi access point on the remote unit. You can buy additional remote units for them separately
https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/NETTPL0422/TP-Link-PowerLine-TL-WPA4220KIT-300500Mbps-Starter

KarameaDave
14-11-2017, 09:06 AM
Thanks Dave.

I take it I plug a cable into a spare Ethernet socket on the Fibre Modem and likewise on my computer?

If they work OK they make more sense than cable.

Are they all paired on different frequencies a bit like say Garage Doors?

Not certain about the pairing, but that is how you connect them.
1101's suggestion of the one with WIFI is worth consideration.

B.M.
14-11-2017, 10:14 AM
Update.

Well Iíve gone with Daveís initial suggestion simply because I only have the one delinquent computer and the WiFi suggestion would really be surplus to requirements in my case. Good suggestion though. :thumbs:

And for anyone following this thread, and thinking of doing likewise, you can buy the item $25 cheaper at PbTechís than at Trade Me. ;)

My only concern is I hope the Power Separation Filter doesnít break down. :D

14-11-2017, 10:29 AM
If using a powerline kit, plug in direct into the wall, NOT into a surge protecter & preferably not into a multi box plug thingy :-)
If plugged into a filter, chances are it wont work.

Also they dont work everywhere 100% .
95%(?) of the time are OK, Ive only had a couple of instances where they didnt work , one of those was just a single room it wouldnt work in.

B.M.
14-11-2017, 10:51 AM
If using a powerline kit, plug in direct into the wall, NOT into a surge protecter & preferably not into a multi box plug thingy :-)
If plugged into a filter, chances are it wont work.

Also they dont work everywhere 100% .
95%(?) of the time are OK, Ive only had a couple of instances where they didnt work , one of those was just a single room it wouldnt work in.

Well I'll find out shortly. :)

The Power Separation Filter I referred to was the one I figure must be built into the Unit itself. I imagine 230v whistling up the Ethernet Cable might not be conducive to good reception.

And just for the records I hope I can improve on this!

14-11-2017, 11:12 AM
The claimed throughput speed of some powerline kits needs to be taken with a grain of salt (cough cough BS)
:-)

Terry Porritt
14-11-2017, 11:32 AM
Works well
Also

Do these powerline devices work ok when the power points are on different spurs or circuits from the power board ?

dugimodo
14-11-2017, 01:26 PM
Do these powerline devices work ok when the power points are on different spurs or circuits from the power board ?

Yes as long as they are on the same phase, but the more wiring involved the slower they go so the same circuit is better. Most houses are single phase working so they would theoretically work in any power point.
I have used them between the house and the garage with some success as well, and that's separate buildings a few metres apart. Wasn't the fastest though.

B.M.
15-11-2017, 12:55 PM
Well, what a great day it is. :)

I ordered the adapters yesterday and they arrived this morning.

First time Iíve done business with PB Tech and wonít be the last. They certainly seem organised.

(Itís nice to be able to give someone praise instead of a bollocking.) :D

Anyway, theyíre installed now and things have improved out out sight.

Take a look at this speedtest compared to the one in my post #19

Iím like a dog with two tails. :banana

My thanks everyone who helped out. :thumbs:

KarameaDave
15-11-2017, 02:10 PM
That's excellent, glad you've sorted it.

linw
15-11-2017, 02:51 PM
Good feedback. Reinforces the advice given.

And, yes, PBTech are on the ball.