PDA

View Full Version : Outlook Express Problem

Roscoe
09-11-2017, 10:26 AM
I use Outlook Express for my email. I access it mostly from my main PC but when I try to access it from my laptop it will not work. I thought that the easy thing to do would be to simply copy the address into my laptop but that does not work so I wondered if that Outlook Express address was only good for the PC that it was set up on.

I would like to be able to access my email from my laptop when I go on leave but I don't know what to do to have it work there as well.

Does anyone have any idea how I can get around this? Your help will be appreciated.

wainuitech
09-11-2017, 10:33 AM
Blimey that must be old, Outlook Express died with XP and often is to old to work on some ISP's these days.

But on saying that, any mail that on your laptop and in Outlook Express, all you need to do is open the program and there it is.

pctek
09-11-2017, 10:59 AM
Won't work how exactly?
Do you get an error message?
Or is it that the emails are just not there - remember if you want the mail to come to 2 different devices you will need to use IMAP rather than pop.

linw
09-11-2017, 12:01 PM
I know you won't want to hear this, but bite the bullet now and convert over to using gmail from your browser. Then you can access it on any device.

Gmail can access any account if you don't want to change to a gmail address.

dugimodo
09-11-2017, 12:32 PM
Are you using the outlook express E-mail client from windows XP?, or Outlook which is part of office?, or outlook.com which is a free web based E-mail similar to gmail?
And how are you trying to "copy the address" I'm afraid your question is confusing and lacking in detail which makes it hard to answer. Who is your e-mail provider? most have a web portal you can use like Gmail mentioned above.

rumpty
09-11-2017, 01:00 PM
I use Outlook Express for my email. I access it mostly from my main PC but when I try to access it from my laptop it will not work. I thought that the easy thing to do would be to simply copy the address into my laptop but that does not work so I wondered if that Outlook Express address was only good for the PC that it was set up on.

I would like to be able to access my email from my laptop when I go on leave but I don't know what to do to have it work there as well.

Does anyone have any idea how I can get around this? Your help will be appreciated.

I use Outlook Express for my email, set up with POP3 as my email server, within OE. The option to leave the emails on the server for a few days after I've downloaded them to OE, is selected. Then I can just check my emails, including the ones already in OE but left on the server, on any other computer, by going to the webmail page of the ISP, e.g. xtramail.co.nz, and logging in with the same address and password used in OE.

Clear as mud?

09-11-2017, 01:06 PM
I use Outlook Express for my email. I access it mostly from my main PC but when I try to access it from my laptop it will not work. I thought that the easy thing to do would be to simply copy the address into my laptop but that does not work so I wondered if that Outlook Express address was only good for the PC that it was set up

sorry , none of that makes any sense. We are all just guessing what youre trying to do & what youre trying to do it with . What do you mean by doesnt work : wont run, cant login, cant connect, password errors ?
Unfortunately, It doesnt help that ~Outlook~ can be any one of 3 different completely different products , stupid MS :-)

-who is your email with. xtra, gmail etc
If its xtra, then neither "Outlook Express" or Xp+"Outlook" will work (no longer compatible)

You should be able to just use webmail on the laptop, for now anyway.

09-11-2017, 01:09 PM
I use Outlook Express for my email,

Outlook Express WILL NOT work with xtra email (any more)
just saying.

Some confuse Outlook Express with Outlook or Outlook.com .

And if still using Outlook Express, be very aware of the 2Gb limit. Your email will get badly corrupted as you approach that limit .
Seriously move away from OE & onto a modern email program, eg Thunderbird .

Lurking
09-11-2017, 03:16 PM
The OE6 on this XP SP3 is now dead in the water.

Used to go to Clear.net.nz to check them before Vodafone pulled the plug.

OE was great viewing in either half page or one click to open full page.

Now on Outlook.co.nz, GMail, Hotmail and Yahoo.

Roscoe
09-11-2017, 03:56 PM
I use Outlook Express for my email, set up with POP3 as my email server, within OE. The option to leave the emails on the server for a few days after I've downloaded them to OE, is selected. Then I can just check my emails, including the ones already in OE but left on the server, on any other computer, by going to the webmail page of the ISP, e.g. xtramail.co.nz, and logging in with the same address and password used in OE.

Clear as mud?

Thank you, rumpty. I went to Outlook.com as you said, entered my email address and password and it worked! I ticked "Keep me logged in" and I am able to access my email anytime.

Thanks very much to the rest of you for you input. Some of the comments were very helpful. Much appreciated.

pctek
10-11-2017, 07:13 AM
sorry , none of that makes any sense. .

Did to me, perfectly clear what he was doing.
Anyway, all sorted now I see.