PDA

View Full Version : Powerline Wifi question

Nomad
28-10-2017, 09:06 PM
Hi all,

Re: the Wifi feature on this. Will it be a different SSID than the main router? Can it also have 2 outlets (3 including the one next to the router)?

Cheers :)

wainuitech
28-10-2017, 09:37 PM
Hi all,

Re: the Wifi feature on this. Will it be a different SSID than the main router? Can it also have 2 outlets (3 including the one next to the router)?

Cheers :) Your choice on the SSID, you can either clone the original or have a different one, totally upto you. With TP-Link you can also install the software on a computer, connect to any of the devices and make alterations.

You can have at least 5 devices plugged into the power circuit. (most I've connected up is 4)

30-10-2017, 08:07 AM
Hi all,

Cheers :)

Same SSID : some devices wont roam properly: ie you connect to the routers wifi in that room. Then pickup the laptop/phone and walk to
the room with the powerline unit : the laptop/ph may still be trying to use the weak routers wifi instead of the better powerline wifi
So some users may need to manually disconnect & reconnect thier wifi as they move around the house.

different SSID : more foolproof , tell users that the powerline wifi has a different name(SSID) & they must manually connect to it to get the better signal
if moving from one part of the house to the other

Many powerline units you can buy additional slave/remote unit separataely , check that you have this option before you buy the initial pair .

John H
30-10-2017, 10:51 AM
I have the NetComm Wireless set. I get two SSDs - one in the name of the Spark router, and the other in the name of Netcomm Wireless. I set up guests with the passwords to both, so they can use the Spark router if they are staying downstairs (where the ONT box and router are located), or Netcomm Wireless when they are upstairs. Generally they stick with the Netcomm Wireless.

I chose the Netcomm model because at the time of purchase it was the only available set that had passthrough (for a mains power outlet) and wireless. I am not entirely happy with the set, because both my wife (iPad) and I (Nexus 10 tablet) experience WIFI drop offs upstairs which seem to be caused by the Netcomm Wireless powerline outlet deciding to re-negotiate a connection with the router. It often gets stuck at "Obtaining IP address" or some other unexplained point where it says "Connected, no internet". I haven't been able to figure out why these drop offs occur but they are really frustrating. Sometimes it clears itself; other times I have to switch off WIFI on the tablets and switch it back on again - that usually sorts it out.

In the meantime, I could not recommend the Netcomm Wireless for purchase by others.

wainuitech
30-10-2017, 11:03 AM
In the meantime, I could not recommend the Netcomm Wireless for purchase by others. :thumbs:

Seen similar problems at customers houses who have Netcomm.

The pass through + Wireless by TP-Link are available BUT from what I was told by one of my suppliers, Only places like Harvey Norman can get them.

The local suppliers are not allowed (some deal TP link have done). Looking at HN prices they can shove it up their you know where ( just under $400)

http://www.harveynorman.co.nz/computers/networking-and-wireless/tp-link-av1200-passthrough-range-extender-kit.html

The standard Passthrough doesn't contain wireless, but can have a Access point plugged into it.

John H
30-10-2017, 11:58 AM
Thanks wainuitech - interesting. I was recommended to get the TP-Link - I think it was by a tech here in Taupō. However it wasn't available in the configuration I wanted at my usual suppliers.

(snip)

The standard Passthrough doesn't contain wireless, but can have a Access point plugged into it.

I have a spare TP-Link TL-WR1043ND router here - can that be used as an access point?

wainuitech
30-10-2017, 12:13 PM
Thanks wainuitech - interesting. I was recommended to get the TP-Link - I think it was by a tech here in Taupō. However it wasn't available in the configuration I wanted at my usual suppliers.

I have a spare TP-Link TL-WR1043ND router here - can that be used as an access point? You should be able to , you need to disable any DHCP and change a IP address setting or two, but this shows you how. http://www.tp-link.com/hu/faq-417.html Once its all been configured you use one of the 4 LAN ports to connect to the EOP device ( or a Ethernet cable), then you will have a Wireless + 3 spare Ethernet ports.

Some older Routers will be slower and less secure than the Main Router, but the main Router will issue the New IP

Basically if you require Passthrough - and already have a Spare Router /Access point its a lot cheaper than wireless EOP's
Meaning these:

John H
30-10-2017, 03:38 PM
Thanks for all that advice wainuitech. I think that may be the model that was recommended to me, but I didn't buy it because it lacked wireless and I didn't know I could add an access point. I will give this a try - anything has to be better than the dropped signals we have been getting with the Netcomm gadget.

John H
01-11-2017, 02:42 PM
All working most excellently, O Master! The changes worked, so it is now operating as a Wireless Access Point. The TP units just work - plug them in, press a button on each and they pair with no fuss. The TP-Link router fired up, and it was just the usual login stuff.

Ping upstairs has gone from mid 20s down to 19, and the download speed on a 50 Mbps connection is running upstairs at 50.7, whereas before it was maxing at 30Mbps!

Most excellent - thank you for your advice.

Don't you love it when something to do with computers works first time, and better than expected? 📣🔔🎷🎸🎶

Nomad
01-11-2017, 07:31 PM
OK .. I am back.

The person is looking at this one, it is a 500Mbps via the powerline. That should be more than enough right, he is on 100Mbit Fiber Internet connection.

https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/NETTPL0422/TP-Link-PowerLine-TL-WPA4220KIT-300500Mbps-Starter

How is DLink?

Re: the powerline wires. In your experience when you have had issues are they a house that is older than 20yrs old?

Cheers.

dugimodo
01-11-2017, 08:30 PM
Not so much the age as the way it's wired. The sockets need to be on the same phase and even better on the same circuit and the farther apart they are the slower it'll be.
Most houses are single phase but not all. Generally they work ok but there really is no way to be sure without trying it.

dugimodo
01-11-2017, 08:31 PM
Double Post

Nomad
16-11-2017, 07:04 PM
Would it affect it the wall has 2 power outlets and 1 is for the powerline adapter and the other is for the computer?

I got it setup for someone. 50Mbps with speedtest.net, with their USB AC WiFi they got 100Mbps. I did ask them before if it was slow and they said yes, maybe it was before they got their rourter swapped by the ISP, i also did ask them after that and they still said it was slow or maybe now and then ... It was possibly when the servers were busy then.

Is a 50Mbps with powerline normal?